Author Topic: Cops (eh, long read)  (Read 5708 times)

Gremlin

Cops (eh, long read)
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »
I just spent that last four nights on patrol. It was great to get back on the street, but my word I'm tired. The reason I went back on the streets was because some special interest groups where claiming "racial profiling" and "unfair treatment" by some of our Officers. Large Departments are self-insured and "CYA" is just not a guideline its a way of life.

My hours where 1700 to 0700 in weather in what is considered here in the Pathetic North Wet to be a heat wave (high 80s to 90s) and the area I worked was the Rainer Valley neighborhood.

During these four 12 hour shifts, err "watches" I have written more reports than a college students does in two years, made 14 felony arrest, wrote 41 citations for traffic and non-traffic infractions, drove way to fast conducting makes no difference 50 + "mad dog" or code calls, broken up I lost count public disturbance calls (There is a group of people fighting in front of the supermarket), lets not forget about the courtesy checks (The 90 year old who lives in this apartment has not been seen  for the past 48 hours), public contacts (Are you doing all right?; Can I offer assistance? You look like your having trouble walking, I can offer you a ride home)

What I'm trying to say is that how does the AR LEOs (you know who they are) or even I do this all day without a lot of breaks (Police Officers are required to take breaks like private sector employees, but the work load always eats into your breaks) while wearing 20 pounds of firearms, ammo, tasers, hand-cuffs, body armor and all the other "cop toys" getting in & out of CVPIs countless times while sprinting after suspects and taking flak from the public all day?

The departments pay less (up to $15,000 less) a year than Boeing and/or Microsoft  for a sit down desk job.

Conclusion: The Officers in my department and all others are strong dedicated people who work hard all through shifts only to be looked down on because of the stereotypes portrayed by the media.  So if you want to be a Police Officer and I honor that request. I'm going to be honest with you. You bust your ass both mentally and physically, get looked down on by the general public, your friends and family. Only to to find out that your friend in high school took a job with (name the big employer in your area) makes more money, has equal health and retirement benefits. Plus he has more free time to enjoy with their family or self.

Next time your happened to be stopped by a cop for a minor traffic infraction. Think about this. That no good lazy pig, out works you, gets paid less and his/her benefits are equal compared with yours.

So what did I report back after these four long nights? I'm crazy. I told the department. I did not find sufficient evidence of the claims for profiling and unethical treatment by the Officers. I request more time on patrol duty to conduct further research.   :mrgreen:

Mods: If you want this in the rant or flame forums please move it. Personally it a whine post, but AR does not have a whine forum.

Sharp

Re: Cops (eh, long read)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
Gotta agree 100% with you. These people put up with so much crap, get paid so little, and have such long, hard days... and we still look down on them.

Your conclusion paragraph is why I decided against law enforcement. I'm a family man at heart. I'd rather be paid more to deal with less, and be home more. On top of being safer in general, and not putting a target on me and my family. However, I have massive respect for the people who decide that it's what they wanna do.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
I don't see it as a whine..or rant. Imma leave it here. I see it as more of  "hell of a job people" post.
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

DanDB64

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »
Hey Gremtard, what are you gonna be doin up there in Columbia?
DanDB64

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
I so wish I could get into law enforcement...

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Gremlin

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
Hey Gremtard, what are you gonna be doin up there in Columbia?
Human Resources, for the Police Department. Be nice to me, I'm your ticket for your dream job. As a dog catcher; excuse me  Animal Control Officer. Oh, wait yo're not Mosh :P

Quote from: Caryn
I don't see it as a whine..or rant. Imma leave it here. I see it as more of  "hell of a job people" post.
I was joking, since every time I was truthful about my line of work people told me I was whining. I learned to laugh at the anti-police attitude.

Quote from: Porkword1971
Get a good steady telecom installer job. Your get more money and time to spend with your kids and Caryn. Trust me.

Sharp, I went to pick my girlfriends children at public Seattle school in uniform and I was yelled at by teachers and parents about the school being a "gun free zone" or as I call them "high crime zones". Welcome to Liberal Western Washington.

Counting the days until Jan 2011

TheBlackShed

• Bunny in Bag
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
i doubt i get out worked by cops, your thread fails....

kidding, i actually have a good friend who is a cop and i know he busts his ass day in and day out, and i respect the hell out of him for that.
Choot'em!

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »
I don't think I'm cut out for it but I do appreciate the police. I'm always polite and friendly to them, I treat them like people.

I had a weird encounter today though, not sure what his motives were but maybe you guys can shed some light...

Today I got followed by a cop on my way back from lunch. The way the block our dealership is on is set up is weird... there's a street that goes between the dealership and our employee parking lot, but ends in the Home Depot parking lot on the other side. So, to get to KFC which is on that side of the block, we just drive straight through the Home Depot lot - just like EVERYONE does, there's a definitive groove in the parking lot from traffic (side street traffic, not a constant flow).

Well, he was pulling through the lot as I was going through on my way back, and he followed me into our employee parking lot which is secluded. I got out of my car with my food and everything and began walking when he pulled up from behind my car. I was like "Oh, great, what is this??"

He asked me "Is that a Pontiac or an Olds" (I was driving my 96), so I told him.. he said it was in nice shape, I thanked him and said yea it's alright... he asked if it was mine, said yes.. asked what the parking lot was for, I told him it was Home Depot's lot but they let us park our employee cars in it since they don't use it (it's separate from their main lot).. he said "Oh, that's cool. Have a good one!" and drove off.

I was pretty confused, but I'm guessing he just wanted to see what I was up to and when he realized I was an employee of the dealership and saw the food I was carrying, he put two and two together and just wanted to play it off... either way it made me nervous :lol:

NVmySSmaro

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »
We work 12 hour shifts too 1900-0700 :mrgreen:, but we thankfully aren't near that busy. All the paperwork is a major downer, 30 minutes of cop work and 4 hours of paperwork, haha. I do this job basically for the excitement, you never know what's going to happen on a given day. Taking crap from the public doesn't bother me anymore, I have a job to do, and people just aren't going to like what I have to do sometimes. My biggest complaint with this job, is having court at 10:30am after getting off of shift at 7am, then knowing I have to be at work again at 7pm for another 12 hours. This job is all I really know how to do, I honestly have no clue what I would do if I couldn't be a cop. My education, training, interests, all revolves around it.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
Nick sounds to me he was checking that ya were on the up and up.
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »

Jim

Good luck. I tried with two separate departments, only to spend thousands of dollars in traveling fees back and forth for them to say LOL OOPS WE FORGOT WE AREN'T HIRING.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
My knees are too bad...

Jim
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

m5

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
I like Cops because they arrest Ass holes.

If you don't like cops then you are probably a criminal and/or completely retarded. People like to bitch about cops...until they need one.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
Fuckin' pigs.

I'm going to be honest, I didn't read anything in this thread. I strictly based my post off of the thread title.

:mrgreen:

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:27:03 AM »
If you don't like cops then you are probably a criminal and/or completely retarded. People like to bitch about cops...until they need one.
Umm there are plenty of crooked ones here that you hear about getting arrested every so often...I treat them like I treat any other government employee...with distrust...
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Nava

• Goddamn Hinge-Heads
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 03:17:13 AM »
My father and I both lost our jobs because of a crooked cop, but he is the only one I've ever met around here that was bad.  My dad was a state fire investigator and a patrolman for a long time, so I've met plenty of cops, and most are some of the coolest people you'll meet.

They basically all have my respect until they give me a reason to lose it.

rajon

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
Rarely is a job just handed out in this world, your friend at the desk making more money probably spent a lot of years in school getting there. Heck, most teachers go to far more school than police officers and have worse jobs with lower pay. Law enforcement is certainly a noble pursuit although I doubt every officer has the most noble of intentions. You chose your path and I sincerely applaud you for that but please don't begrudge me because I spend my working hours at a desk or in a lab far removed from the general public. I can assure you that it was a lot of work to get here. 

GooneyBird

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 09:26:25 AM »
When Raven and me were on our epic roadtrip, we stopped at a hotel to ask inside if there were any rooms left. Raven parked right in front of the exit, in a do-not-park zone out on the street. So as she was inside asking for a place to stay, a cop rolled up, flashed his lights, and tapped my (passenger's) window asking me to roll it down. He asked if I knew what a yellow-painted (or some other color, I forgot) meant. I didn't know, as...well... I'm Dutch. And a tourist at that time. So he asked me to move the car, which I did.

But the moment he flashed his lights, all the American cop stereotypes and movie-inspired knowledge flew through my head, and I was all "Shiiiit." But he seemed cool, even though he didn't believe I was a tourist (I had to show my Dutch ID to convince him), and got a little grumbly because he thought I was bullshitting him about not knowing what a yellow curb meant. (I sincerely didn't know. Here in Holland we have signs and lines painted on the pavement to indicate a no-parking zone)

I don't know why I'm telling you guys this...

Anyway, way to go Gremlin. Seeing your job from another point of view (out on the streets vs. behind a desk) is always a good thing. It gives you respect for your co-workers, for the people you only see when they've got issues or are complained about.
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 11:49:32 AM »
Umm there are plenty of crooked ones here that you hear about getting arrested every so often...I treat them like I treat any other government employee...with distrust...

That is true, but still he has a point, there are a lot of people who hate cops because they did something wrong and got a ticket/arrested.

"I HATE COPS I GOT A SPEEDING TICKET"

Were you speeding?

"YEA, FUCKIN COPS THOUGH"

Daemon

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »

Even a crooked cop is doing his job 99% of the time.

Moshkenstein

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 12:00:19 PM »
I like Cops because they arrest Ass holes.

Not all cops deserve the respect of the types that Gremlin is talking about. My sister's ex quit his job while he was on his new-hire probabtion period (not sure what you call that) because the guy he was riding with insisted he kick a hobo in the face for not cooperating. That to me isn't really a big deal but SOME cops don't always have good intentions.

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:07 PM »
Did he want to taze the hobo instead of kicking him?

Jim
Moral of this lesson:

Moshkenstein

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
Did he want to taze the hobo instead of kicking him?

Jim

I dunno, I think he felt a moral delema with kicking someone in the face who wasn't being combative. I can see where he is coming from but I can also see why a kick to the face might be useful.  :P