Author Topic: Burgers...  (Read 409 times)

b00sted

Burgers...
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »
This really isn't much of a recipe since most stuff is just estimated.

This is for 10lb.s of ground beef, adjust the measured ingredients accordingly if you use less meat.

Start with 10lbs. of a good ground chuck or something similar.  Smaller grocery stores with a butcher on staff tend to have the best meat at the best prices...Mass produced stuff from a restaurant supply store or similar just isn't as good.

I stick it in a big black food service bin, but any container large enough to hold all of the meat is fine.

1. Start by adding Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Bread Crumbs.  I don't measure this, just basically sprinkle a liberal layer of each over the meat.  You can adjust to your tastes with the next batch...It's kind of hard to mess this up, you may think you're putting too much on but it'll be fine.

2. Add either Worcestershire sauce, or a good BBQ sauce.  For 10 lbs. of meat, you'll use about 4-5 fl. oz. of either.(About 1/3 bottle of the typical Worcestershire bottle)  This will add even more of a 'home cooked' flavor, keeps the meat juicy, and we've noticed the burgers tend to plump up when cooked after we added this to the recipe.  Don't over do it, Worcestershire goes a long way with just a little...Your burps will stink too.

3. Add 3-4 large eggs.  This helps hold the meat together when you're packing it into patties and cooking.  4 should be plenty. A simple test is take a nice sized ball of meat after you've mixed everything up, pack it into a 3/8" thick patty, and try to tear it like a piece of paper....It should stretch a little bit before it pulls apart.  Add another egg if it comes apart too easily.

Now you should have a big mess in your container...Put on some rubber gloves(or be ready to have messy hands) and start kneading it.  Keep mashing it up and folding it over until everything is fully mixed.

Making the Patties:

If you have a scale, measure out 6 oz. of meat(You'll get 26-28 burgers from a 10 lb. batch).  If you don't have a scale, your wad of meat should be about 2" in diameter after packing it together a bit.

Take the meat and PACK it into a tight ball.  The more you pack it, the easier it will be to flatten out properly.  Think of it like making a snowball...You want it tight.

Then put the ball down on a piece of wax paper and use your palm to flatten it.  From there you use your fingers to flatten and shape it the rest of the way.  It should end up being 5-5.5" in diameter.  Also, it's very important to use your fingers and pack the edges of the patty nicely.  You want a nice uniform edge with no tears or cracks...Otherwise it'll break apart on the grill.

MAKE SURE the patties are a uniform thickness.  If it's thicker on side and thin on the other, it'll be a bitch to cook thoroughly.

Other than that, your set.  Cook over an open flame, and I recommend a slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese...Or buy some QUALITY American cheese.  Cheese makes or breaks a good burger.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Burgers...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:49 PM »
I recommend using your thumb and putting an indentation in the center of the burger after you flatten it. Homemade burgers always plump up and form a sort of dome shape on the grille.

Otherwise, this sounds about right. I tend to do something similar, but I also add fresh ground black pepper. I use A1 instead of worcestershire though.

I've also added dill to turkey burgers in the past. It was oddly good.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

b00sted

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »
Yep, Worcestershire/BBQ/A1 etc. will all work the same.  Personal preference. 

I've heard about the indentation thing, but we haven't had any issues yet to warrant it.

Kwhit10

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »
2'' diameter burgers? Those seem awfully small.

But I also do a similar style, I also love throwing Parmesan cheese into it.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:11:32 AM »
2'' diameter burgers? Those seem awfully small.

But I also do a similar style, I also love throwing Parmesan cheese into it.

I was questioning that at first, but then I realized what he meant. The instructions are to roll it into a meatball shape to begin with and that ball's diameter should be ~2".

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Kwhit10

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
Ahh yea, that makes more sense.

b00sted

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
Yeah sorry.  When you take a wad of meat and pack it into a ball, it should end up around 2" in diameter...That's the amount you need to make a patty that will fit on a large burger bun.