Author Topic: Forcing my boss's hand.  (Read 7557 times)

Dan

Re: Forcing my boss's hand.
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 07:44:28 AM »
No one is indispensable... Ever
This.
No matter what you do there's always someone else out there who can replace you.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

FrameScrape

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 07:51:21 AM »
This.
No matter what you do there's always someone else out there who can replace you.

There very well may be someone out there that can... however it would take my boss 20 years to hire someone of quality.  He was just lucky with me, I got transfered there.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 07:54:32 AM »
Now you just sound like a cocky prick. Just so you know.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

rajon

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »

Indeed. From what I have gathered you are a non-ASE certified mechanic, does that make you an apprentice? It seems that you are probably pretty good but your boss knows full well that your odds of finding another job in this market with no official cedibility are slim and he can use you for what he needs and when you get too expensive he can replace you with another kid that wants to be a mechanic.

You aren't LeBron James, you don't have 15 shops sending swimsuit models to your door with champagne and a job offer. You are a non-certified mechanic that, according to you, are some kind of savant. If you don't want to take the advice of those that have been where you are and have experience to share it will be more entertaining for the rest of us.

Sharp

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »
Agreed.

Get over yourself. And good luck finding another job in this economy, especially one that pays better than what you have right now.

Daemon

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
I don't know, I can see where scrape is coming from... For example, we have gone through 3 detailers since my old partner got promoted. The first one took smoke breaks every 5 minutes and wandered around chatting with the mechanics while I worked my ass off. The second one is the one I told ya'll about who couldn't keep himself out of jail. The current one is a hard worker and good guy, but just isn't cut out for this type of work - he has no eye for detail and even though I'm constantly reminding him to pay CLOSE attention, he consistently lets cars leave with wax still on some parts, entire windows not even cleaned, among other things.

I get that there's a learning period, but he should be past that by now - and those aren't mistakes made because you're not good at something, those are mistakes made because you just don't get it.

So I would say that if I quit right now, the quality of work as well as the customer satisfaction index for new and used car deliveries would drop significantly. They would have to find someone to replace me who has done this before, and done it well.

The guy I worked with when I started took the CSI from 3.0 to almost a full 5.0, and both of us have kept it that way since. The manager said that is the best CSI report this dealership has ever had for deliveries.

FrameScrape

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »
Uncertified doesn't mean inexperienced.
     Also, I'm not just talking about my work in the back of the shop.  I also have the ability to run the front.  I can do all the same paperwork my boss can, I can also sell equally as much as he can.  When I broke my foot and had to work   the front end for like 2 months I learned all I needed to know and then some.  I went onto our online training website and completed all the training I needed to essentially run my own store.  I took completed half the store manager trainings, all of the tech and service manager trainings.  I went above and beyond what was needed.  So yes, I work in the back but I also do tasks totally unrelated to my specific job.  I not only produce excellent results in the back I take a huge load off of both my service manager and manager which allows them to concentrate alot of energy in other areas of the shop.

As for the apprentice stuff, no I learned everything I know by doing it myself.  Taking the initiative to learn it.  I have not gotten a single ase because I haven't had a need to.  My pay doesn't go up, and for a few years I was content with my situation.  Hell both of the flat rate techs have limited ase's.  The one guy has been wrenching for 20+ years and let all of them expire and never bothered to recert.  So obviously yes the ase's would help me right now, however I am confident I will still land a job elsewhere.  I've already had one of the shops call me about setting up an interview, and they know exactly what I'm looking for as far as salary.  

I'm sure it sounds like I'm being cocky, but even my boss tells me how I'm absolutely awesome.  In the 2 years I've been at this shop I have seen more than 10 new hires go right out the door.  Either because they lied about qualifications, couldn't perform the job up to our standards, didn't show up for work, or various other reasons.  10 people in 2 years that's almost 1 new person every 2 months.  Also in that period of time we had 2 people who were there over 2 years each quit, and the shop still made money granted I was there 50-65 hours a week, we still made money.  The last 2 months its just been me and 2 other guys.  So as I may not be "god" or able to fix every possible thing the drop off in quality if I choose to leave will be drastic and VERY noticeable.

Inabj2

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
Be careful about trying to use an offer for a raise. You already went in there and asked for a raise and they said no. Most likely they will tell you to go pound sand, worst case they will match it and make you unknowingly train your replacement. You already let them know you are unhappy and looking and that definitely puts you in a different light. Good luck on your search but I believe if you are thinking about leaving, you should.

Exactly do not DO NOT take their offer for you to stay once you put in your 2 weeks, you will be the first to be fired if you stay.

FrameScrape

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
Exactly do not DO NOT take their offer for you to stay once you put in your 2 weeks, you will be the first to be fired if you stay.

Maybe so.  But it is rather hard to fire someone when there are 3 guys in the entire shop, and at full capacity we run at about 7.
We have not been at full capacity since a little under 2 years ago when I started.