Author Topic: Valve accidentally bans a bunch of MW2 players; apologizes with zombies  (Read 1941 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.219724-Valve-Lifts-Modern-Warfare-2-Bans-Apologizes-With-Zombies

A glitch with Valve's anti-cheat software caused some 12,000 MW2 players to be locked out of their Steam accounts over the weekend. Gabe Newell sent each person an e-mail (well, a mass e-mail i'm assuming lol) explaining what happened and why, and everybody affected has received two free copies of Left 4 Dead 2 - one for yourself, and one to gift to a friend. I'm assuming if you already have L4D2 in your account, you only get the gift copy..

But THAT is how you make reparations for mistakes. Well done, Valve.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
I read about that today. Absolutely fantastic. I mean, it blows that they had a rash of false bannings (12,000 of them), but they fixed the problem AND overcompensated. I love the idea of them giving gift copies. Helps to bring in people who may not be Steam addicts yet.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

Awesome to see a company doing this.  If it wasn't for the cheaters none of it would happen though.  Wish there was better video game etiquette out there.  On Modnation racers there is a "Hot Lap" where everyone can drive the same course and try  to get the best lap time.  Well, some people have cheated using respawn at certain points to get lap times that are just stupid.  7-15 seconds on tracks that take at least 50 second or more to complete.  It's so stupid.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Demon's Souls, while not anywhere near as popular as a lot of games with an online component, has had their leaderboards ruined by cheaters as well. Someone found a glitch to duplicate souls and it has allowed people to max out their soul count in less than a day and show up on the leaderboards with max level. It's sad.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Yea, the leaderboards in Red Dead Redemption have people with gang hideout completion times of 0:01. That's not obvious at all ::)