Author Topic: Are current day 'ricers' disguised as 'overlanders'?  (Read 417 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Are current day 'ricers' disguised as 'overlanders'?
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
https://www.drivingline.com/articles/do-it-for-the-gram-how-social-media-ruined-overlanding/

This is an interesting opinion piece. The author brought up an interesting comparison of the classic 'ricer' that AR was founded to make fun of, to the modern day 'insta-bro overlander'.

Enjoy, discuss, throw tomatoes, etc.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Are current day 'ricers' disguised as 'overlanders'?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 09:12:51 AM »
Can't say I've seen many "overlanders", but yeah it's the same attitude that ricers had. I haven't seen a legitimate ricer in years. Mostly bro-dozers or plasti-dipped VW's and Audi's. There is a contingent of douchebags around here with relatively riced out rides, one of which being a "murdered out" 2012ish Charger with halo headlights and vinyl decals all over it. He recently plasti-dipped the entire thing matte brick red for some reason. Probably because he drives like an absolute asshole and has become infamous in our reasonably small city.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
I say the easiest way to spot a modern day ricer is to identify the 'influencers' on Instagram or YouTube.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:30:23 AM »
They are ALL OVER southern CA and AZ.  With Glamis and tons of BLM and Forest Service roads in the region you'd expect them, EXCEPT you never see them too far from a car wash.  I call them Brocery Getters.

As for the article, I think the instagrammers may be in the same category as ricers were, but I think a lot of the ricers did love their cars and were probably learning to wrench on their loud ass shitboxes.  Plus remember how they'd get all defensive for us attacking them for "expressing their individuality"?  I think they were trying. 
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
What donut said. It's so bad that the "overland tax" is preposterous.

I am not giving you 25k for a 15 year old suv that has a lift, roof rack, wheels and big tire kit.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
Can't say I've seen many "overlanders", but yeah it's the same attitude that ricers had. I haven't seen a legitimate ricer in years. Mostly bro-dozers or plasti-dipped VW's and Audi's. There is a contingent of douchebags around here with relatively riced out rides, one of which being a "murdered out" 2012ish Charger with halo headlights and vinyl decals all over it. He recently plasti-dipped the entire thing matte brick red for some reason. Probably because he drives like an absolute asshole and has become infamous in our reasonably small city.

I see them all the time around here.  I need to start taking pictures again.

The Overlanders are all over this place as well.  I don't think they are hidden, though.  These guys have been here with the ricers.  I think they just largely got ignored.  It's also not always easy to tell if someone takes their vehicle off road, or if they just clean it up each time they do.

I also agree with Wantahertz.  The ricers, as stupid as their ideas were, may have at least been trying and learning.  These guys aren't. 

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »
What donut said. It's so bad that the "overland tax" is preposterous.

I am not giving you 25k for a 15 year old suv that has a lift, roof rack, wheels and big tire kit.

Back in 2017, someone gave me $10,000 for my TJ with a 3.5" lift, 33" tires, and aftermarket bumpers with a rear swing out tire carrier.  A week later I found out that I could have probably gotten $15k for it.  People are crazy.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:43:54 AM »
It's crazy enough that it makes me want to build an unlikely off roader and actually go off road.  I'm thinking something way out there, like lifting an AWD Audi TT convertible.  For the lulz.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 07:04:22 PM »
BTW, ricers are alive and well.  I work with one.  He just got an EVO.  He's done a few things to it.  Intercooler, exhaust, intake.  But he's now doing LED tail and headlights, interior lighting, etc.  He's also talking about mudflaps like it's a serious mod.

He didn't know if he had an air to air or water to air IC.  So yeah, they are still out there.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
Honestly that makes me kinda happy.  I see cars with "that" wing once in a while (you know the one!) And it makes me laugh a little.  I wonder if they're serious or just being ironic.  Of course the now clapped-out Civic or Jetta is burning oil like a Kuwaiti oil well in 1991, and it's loud as fuck, and ugh, yeah, fucking ricers!

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »
BTW, ricers are alive and well.  I work with one.  He just got an EVO.  He's done a few things to it.  Intercooler, exhaust, intake.  But he's now doing LED tail and headlights, interior lighting, etc.  He's also talking about mudflaps like it's a serious mod.

He didn't know if he had an air to air or water to air IC.  So yeah, they are still out there.

Yeah I guess I meant "old school" rather than "legitimate". I haven't seen classic ricers in a long time, you know with the glue-on accessories from Walmart and the park bench rear wing, etc. Definitely seen other versions of ricers.

When we bought our minivan, I joined a Dodge Caravan Facebook page (foolishly thinking it would be a good resource for mechanical info since I'm an GM guy), and it's FULL of modern day ricers. They lower their Caravans on air bags, put ugly ass oversized wheels on them, decals, change the interior lights to colored ones, etc - it's all rice. For sure.

Having been a working mechanic for a few years I won't say i know it all of course, but I do know enough that I can't help but laugh at some of the nonsense these guys talk about. Their favorite "mod" is running premium for more horsepower.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:23:28 AM by MiniVanMan »

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 02:19:49 PM »
Pics?  This is anti-rice.com, let's make fun!

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »
Here's just a few.

This guy is trying to build an Overlander.

This guy is the absolute worst.

This guy is second worst.

I'll try to collect more pics as they're posting, scrolling back through the history of that page is making me nauseous.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »
That adjustable splitter must be doing wonders for his lap times at the 'Ring.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
Here's just a few.

This guy is trying to build an Overlander.

This is a handicap mobility van. There is a ramp in the rear that folds down. you can tell by the rake and the fact that there's a driver's seat missing. I think anyway.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
It is a handicap van, but they installed a leveling kit - usually the front end doesn't sit that high. This is also his "before" pic, he's posted pics of the mud tires he has in his garage, roof rack, fog lamps etc that are all going to be installed.

EDIT: I think he also added a couple inches to the rear, I don't think they're usually QUITE that high.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:37:44 AM by MiniVanMan »

speedy_2

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
I miss the internet back in the day, when AR was full of activity. The internet today is pretty much lame just about everywhere. Social media is such a mess between the idiots, corporations, and the SJW's. It's just so annoying at this point.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »
Yeah I miss the old days too. The internet fucking sucks now.