Author Topic: New adventure  (Read 217 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
New adventure
« on: August 21, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
I have been absent from AR for awhile. Normal life has taken me offline quite a bit.

But, the biggest change has been the introduction of two pre teen girls into our lives. The wife and I stepped up to help a couple of girls who had been removed from their parent(s).

Gawd what a wild ride it has been. And since we are apparently glutton for punishment, we took the girls (who have never been camping) on a 10 day back country camping trip through NM/CO this summer. We all learned a lot on that trip!

Oh yeah, still have the Rubicon, Comanche and Land Cruiser.

I have also begun collecting old Coleman gas stoves and lanterns.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: New adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
Very cool of you to take on the responsibility with the girls. I bet that's a whirlwind of emotion every day.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:52 PM »
You have no idea  :yup:

Actually, having the girls in our home is the easy part. Having no less than 7 state workers in our home every month while taking a required class has been where a bulk of emotion has come from.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 12:05:18 AM »
Good for you guys! My wife and I have been considering fostering, but we want our own kids to be a bit older first.

How have the girls taken to it?

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:32:54 PM »
Wow, good for you!  Are you adopting permanently?  How did they like the trip?
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
Good for you guys! My wife and I have been considering fostering, but we want our own kids to be a bit older first.

How have the girls taken to it?
Our situation is kind of odd. We have a friend-family connection to the girls' mother (she was a babysitter of mine when growing up and my folks and her folks were the best of friends). They were removed from their mom and placed with an Aunt and then Great Aunt/Uncle. The family drama was more than any of the adults could handle so the girls got tossed around for awhile. We got them 8 months after they were pulled from mom and are at 13 months out of mom's care. They are doing well and only had minimal anxiety moving to our home since we knew them.

Wow, good for you!  Are you adopting permanently?  How did they like the trip?
The goal for the girls is reintegration with their mother. We have been pursuing a private infant adoption for a few years now with no luck. Now that we have become a licensed foster home we may eventually seek out an adoption through the foster system.

The girls sure didn't act like they enjoyed the camping trip while it was happening. But they both are eager to show friends their picture album from the trip and reminisce about it quite often. The youngest (3rd grade) said she is writing a 4 page story about the trip for school and isn't done. Outside of one trip to TX to see a grandmother, this was the first time they had been outside of KS/on a vacation.