Author Topic: Might be going to NYC in November. Any insight?  (Read 227 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Might be going to NYC in November. Any insight?
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
My wife wants to go to a Veterinary Conference in NYC in November. Her boss would pay for a hotel for 2 nights, and we're considering paying for a third ourselves so myself and the baby can come and we can have a day in NYC.

I haven't been there since a church trip in 2006 so my knowledge is pretty much useless.

Any input from anyone? Average hotel costs, things to do with a 19 month old, best way to get around the city with a stroller (are people gonna be pissed if we try to take it on the trains), etc?

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
Re: Might be going to NYC in November. Any insight?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
Sheesh, good question.  My wife went but back in 2004.  Expect sticker shock.

On a side note, your wife is a vet?  I have a niece in school for pre-vet.  I'm curious how your wife feels about the profession. 
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
Sheesh, good question.  My wife went but back in 2004.  Expect sticker shock.

On a side note, your wife is a vet?  I have a niece in school for pre-vet.  I'm curious how your wife feels about the profession. 

She loves what she does but it is stressful - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Struggling with stubborn clients who think they know what's best because they consulted Dr. Google and refuse anything but homeopathic remedies and so on, only to have them come rushing in at closing time with an emergency illness and then scream and cry when they find out their pet is deathly ill because they refused to follow the vet's medical advice.. well, that runs the gamut of emotional toll, lol

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 01:14:42 AM »
I never considered the overly emotional owners that know best.  I'm sure that takes its toll.  But I'm glad to her she likes it.  I'm not really sure what's driving my niece into it (I think she should go to med school and be a PA) but I'm sure she'll like it too.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:23:36 PM »
Some people are just driven. I know a lot of veterinarians by way of knowing my wife's friends and former classmates and they all genuinely love animals to the point they feel that it's their calling to help them. They all happen to be truly wonderful people to boot.. i'm sure there's a correlation there.