Author Topic: My mom and I are halving the payments on a car we got for my sister  (Read 327 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
So my sister is a single mom who gets minimal help from her ex.  She's been driving my Cherokee, but at 20 years old, the vehicle is having some issues.  Also, while it's a good single person's car, or a good second car, it's not a good primary vehicle for a single mom.  So while I was getting my oil changed at the dealership I went to a salesman that I know there.  Told him what I was looking for, the payment range, and he came up with this 2015 Journey (you can see she's still in a bit of shock in the second picture):

We took this up to her without her knowing what was happening.  It was a total shock to her.  She answered the door and told me to come in.  I said "You should first come out and look at your new car."

She didn't believe me and said "Very funny.  Who's car is it?"

I held the FOB out to her and said "It's your new car."

She cried a bit, but really likes the car.  At one point she said "I can't accpet this.  It's too much."

I replied "Well, we can't take it back, no one else has a use for it, so you better take it."  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:27:24 PM by Onyx Dragon »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: My mom and I are halving the payments on a car we got for my sister
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:05:41 AM »
That's incredibly kind. :)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
That's great man, nice work!

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
So she filled it up about a week ago.  That plus the drive back here to visit us (about 3 hours, so 180'ish miles) and it's still above half a tank.  She's got the same engine my mom and I do, and the same transfer case as my mom and it's AWD and blows my '18 Wrangler and my mom's '14 GC out of the water for mileage.  That damn thing must be getting 32'ish on the highway.  I'm freaking jealous.

Last night my brother had to go to 7-11.  He asked my nephew if he wanted to come.  My nephew asked which car, and when he found out it wasn't the '99 Cherokee, he had no interest in going.  He then stated that he was willing to let it park in their other parking spot (keep in mind, he's 10)  :lol:

When asked why he wanted that Jeep he said "I really need it."  I mean...you're 10.  WTF do you need it for lol!  Neighbor came up with her 22'ish year old daughter to visit my nephew since it was her birthday.  I was teasing my nephew about what he said and the daughter said "Well, to be fair, that is a pretty cool Jeep."  Which is why I think my nephew wants it...he now wants the next road trip to be in the Cherokee.  Freakin kid doesn't understand what it means to get adjusted to having cruise control, only to not have it all of a sudden  :lol:

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:22:26 PM »
It's the 3.6 with the 6 speed trans, right? I'm getting high 20's, maybe low 30's on the highway in my '12 Grand Caravan, about 19.5 with mostly city driving.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 05:00:30 AM »
It's the 3.6 with the 6 speed trans, right? I'm getting high 20's, maybe low 30's on the highway in my '12 Grand Caravan, about 19.5 with mostly city driving.

Yeah, 6 speed.  Shifts quick as hell when you get on it, too.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
Yeah I've been impressed with its acceleration, but the programming for the trans is absolutely dog shit... at least in the Caravan.

The Caravan has this issue though where it seems to shift from 3 to 4 too early, before the engine is in the power band, so it just bogs and you can't pick up speed unless you shove your foot down and get it to downshift again. It's REALLY annoying, and you have to accelerate harder than you normally would in order to avoid it. Apparently this is common across the Caravans, don't know if it affects the other vehicles with this trans or not. It also takes AGES to downshift sometimes, like I'm pushing the pedal halfway down trying to get going to pass someone or something and it takes a good 3 full seconds before it realizes what I want and finally shifts. Drives me insane.

I'm used to my Silverado. The trans was almost telepathic, it just always did what you wanted it to do, you never had to play with it the way I do with the Caravan.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:05 PM »
Yeah I've been impressed with its acceleration, but the programming for the trans is absolutely dog shit... at least in the Caravan.

The Caravan has this issue though where it seems to shift from 3 to 4 too early, before the engine is in the power band, so it just bogs and you can't pick up speed unless you shove your foot down and get it to downshift again. It's REALLY annoying, and you have to accelerate harder than you normally would in order to avoid it. Apparently this is common across the Caravans, don't know if it affects the other vehicles with this trans or not. It also takes AGES to downshift sometimes, like I'm pushing the pedal halfway down trying to get going to pass someone or something and it takes a good 3 full seconds before it realizes what I want and finally shifts. Drives me insane.

I'm used to my Silverado. The trans was almost telepathic, it just always did what you wanted it to do, you never had to play with it the way I do with the Caravan.

This one does not have any of those issues.  It's a lot more sporty, and it almost seems like it's shifting half a gear at a time it's so quick.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 01:12:16 AM »
Wow, you guys are nice!  I'm glad the truck is working out for her.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?