Author Topic: So what do I need to know about 2000s BMWs?  (Read 418 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
So what do I need to know about 2000s BMWs?
« on: July 02, 2019, 01:41:09 PM »
I'm considering getting rid of the Talon. I really love DSMs but it just doesn't get used much at this point. No AC right now (unsure if it would work at all) and a pain if I wanted to take the kids with me.

So, a sedan or wagon it is. I'm also interested in going back to a V8 RWD vehicle (ideally a manual) although options are limited in my price range. I know very little about BMWs other than complaints about oil leaks and electrical problems. I found a couple 5-series in my price range (under $10k). Available aftermarket performance parts would also be nice.

2004 545i v8: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=520433281

2008 535i turbo i6: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=518440232

Would I be getting myself into a ton of trouble with an older BMW? Mileage is pretty low on both but I would imagine age plays a pretty big role in creating issues.

Beyond BMWs, my options are super limited. If I look at automatics, a lot of other options open up but I find an auto to be a little too boring for a performance car.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:20:45 PM by Kalgorn »

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Delta

• Torquemada 71
Re: So what do I need to know about 2000s BMWs?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
Honestly if they've been decently serviced it's no different than owning a project car such as your Talon. It's a little different to work on, but not that bad. I don't know why, but I'm thinking you might want to stay away from the V8 and stick with the inline 6. I might be thinking of Audi's V8's, I don't know.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »
The inline 6 worries me just a bit because it's a twin turbo. More things to go wrong, tighter to work on, that sort of stuff. But a twin turbo i6 is also pretty exciting too. :)

I'm having a difficult time finding real reviews after longer-term ownership. I'm seeing stuff shortly after someone buys one (like a year) but that's not very helpful.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »
I think there are a couple members here (that probably are not even active anymore) that own the TT I6's, but personally I would stay away from them and just go with the old NA I6. Some of the interiors of the era your looking for didn't hold up well due to some environmentally friendly bullshit. I wish I knew more about BMW's to help you out, I like German cars, but more on the VW/Audi side. I wish I could recommend a MK5/MK6 4 door GTI (for the kids yanno, lol), but the 2.0T's in those were utter shit, oh and I guess FWD :lol:

If you want to double your budget you could drive my MK7 home with you, I don't even drive the damn thing anymore, it's just sitting in the garage. $400/month garage ornament honestly... :lol:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:43:34 PM by Delta »
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »
If I were going to double my budget, I'd be looking at a G8 GT or a CTS-V. ;)

I may open up the possibility of a coupe - it would add a lot of options but then it goes back to being annoying if I wanted to take even just a kid with me.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
Those I6s aren't bad.  The problem is, you have no idea how the previous owner treated them, if they let them cool down properly, etc.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »
I looked at earlier era BMW's about 10 years ago before I bought my Lexus.  Different platform and different engines.  The model range you're looking at (E60?) Is easier to get a wagon with a stick, and a V8.  Still rare.  I can't comment about reliability directly but they did correct some of the stupid issues found on the E39's. 

I might suggest looking at a Lexus GS400/430.  I haven't driven one but they'll last and are easy to maintain provided you find one that isn't beat to shit.  No stick option that I'm aware of, just button shifters.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:03:29 AM »
At this point, I'm out if I can't get it with a stick.

I haven't seen anything else pop up lately but I'm also not buying yet anyway. I'm working on getting the Talon ready to sell. I think I'm going to pull out the ECMLink, bigger injectors, and wideband/boost gauge to sell it as a relatively stock car. I should be able to get close to $1000 selling that stuff separately.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
Just another suggestion, Infinity G35/37 can be had with a stick.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 08:37:56 AM »
Yeah I've got a G35 sedan saved on Autotrader. I do love the sound of that engine/exhaust and I know there's an aftermarket for it so that's a positive.

Darcsun

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:17:16 PM »

About a decade into owning this one. Still haven't hit 80k on it. I prefer the 3 Series, but the 5 Series are pretty similar. Working on them is fairly easy and they're engineered well. The main problem you'll run into will be the plastics starting to go on you. Cooling issues from this era BMW are fairly common, but the fact that they sold so many of them means most problems have been solved by the aftermarket. I actually tossed on a Moroso aluminum expansion tank the other week. Radiators and water pumps should also be upgraded from plastic to metal as much as possible.

The DISA valve and Vanos are some other problem areas. DISA valves are an easy fix. I haven't got to the Vanos yet. As for finding a manual... the swap is fairly simple to do. The main issue you would have is coding the computer after, but there's vids on youtube that can walk you though it. Honestly, the swap to a manual costs about as much as I would be paying for replacing the GM sources auto, so why not tackle that when it goes.

Biggest problem with the car is the perception that repairs should be pricey since it's a BMW. I've taken the car to shops for estimates only to find their cost for parts were about 4 to 5 times more expensive than what you can find online. Since most people aren't going to shop around, they tend to ignore maintenance and repair. That's a problem for any used 'luxury' car though.

Our 3 Series has been relatively low cost to keep going over the years. We only had one major repair I couldn't tackle (head was cracked). Aside from that, the only 'expensive' parts have been the upgrades. Hell, the only reason I was bored enough to stop by here was that I was looking through old forums for bigger brake mods. I'd pretty much forgot about this place until that.

Anyway, good luck on the search.