Author Topic: MiniVanMan  (Read 552 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
MiniVanMan
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:14:59 PM »
The time for the return draws near. Nearing a deal on a 2012 Caravan, figured I'd post it up here and get opinions before pulling the trigger. (Click the photo)

Parent’s BEST FRIEND. Good condition minivan that doubles as a workhouse. 145k miles, majority on the highway. (Mileage subject to change, she is my daily driver).
Power sliding doors (from the fob), power lift gate. Black cloth interior with beige console, 7 seater with 2nd row bucket seats, stow-and-go storage system for both 2nd and 3rd row.
V6 gets up and goes, flex fuel saves you dough.
No major interior flaws, no accidents, regular maintenance keeps this beauty running great!

Talked to the seller for a while and she seems nice and straight forward, was honest about things like the fact that it was pretty dirty from her boys before they had it detailed (I don't care) and a few other things. She owes on the loan so in order to purchase it, I have to go with her to the Credit Union so I can pay her, then she can pay the CU so they will sign the title off for me. As far as I know that's not some sort of a scam but these days, who knows.

As far as minivans go... opinions? I'm really not a fan of Chrysler products but I've heard that their vans are a cut above a lot of their other stuff.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: MiniVanMan
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »
Likely not a scam, especially if you're going to a bank to do it. I think it's dependent on the state but FL was like that for me. When I sold my Camaro, I still had a lien on it so I had to pay that before I could get the title to sell. The buyer paid me and took the car. I paid off the loan, got the title, and mailed it. It's a little silly that it works that way (and makes it tough to sell a car with an existing lien).

Hopefully the Caravans have gotten nicer because the late 90s versions were garbage.

We went with our Durango instead of the minivan route. Still seats 7 and looks way better. The minivan probably has a little more room though.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't touch early or mid 2000's Chrysler ANYTHING. I don't recall seeing anything from that era come through the dealership that wasn't a total pile of garbage. The 08 on up models always seemed to be relatively held together, of course being newer probably contributes to that but the overall fit and finish just seemed of a higher standard.

Biggest reason for going with a van over an SUV is fuel economy. It wasn't a big concern for me but my wife insists, otherwise I'd have just gotten another truck. The sliding doors is a factor too, makes it a LOT easier to get a car seat in and out. Plus I can drop the third row seats and cordon off the back to haul the dogs.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
A Chrysler loving friend of mine (lives in Toledo) has one with similar miles to this that is going to pieces.  These are Chrysler's bread and butter but I really don't know why people still buy them.  They have the shortest half life of the modern mini vans.

I personally hate these things with a passion.  It's largely because of the older oil smoke belching generation but I feel like Chrysler keeps pushing these shit boxes out the door because they sell due to their ubiquity.  In my opinion any other minivan is better.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

speedy_2

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
These things seem pretty nice.  Know a few people with them and I've heard nothing but praise.  Also, doesn't this have the same 3.6L as my Durango?  It moves that beast around pretty well, so I'd imagine it feels even better in the vans?

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
They are decent vans. Get an alignment asap. They like to wear the outside edge on the front tires. 2012 seems like it was the first version of that engine. Newer ones they changed at least the oil cooler and filter housing. But by 150k any brand of minivan is normally going to shit. If it was a honda it would $1000 in engine mounts. Thats just the parts.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
A Chrysler loving friend of mine (lives in Toledo) has one with similar miles to this that is going to pieces.  These are Chrysler's bread and butter but I really don't know why people still buy them.  They have the shortest half life of the modern mini vans.

I personally hate these things with a passion.  It's largely because of the older oil smoke belching generation but I feel like Chrysler keeps pushing these shit boxes out the door because they sell due to their ubiquity.  In my opinion any other minivan is better.

Is your friend car savvy? Because I just can't help but wonder if the reason these go to shit is mostly because of their quality (or lack-thereof), or because most people who drive minivans know fuck all about vehicles and run them into the ground because they don't notice things like humming wheel bearings and shit?

These things seem pretty nice.  Know a few people with them and I've heard nothing but praise.  Also, doesn't this have the same 3.6L as my Durango?  It moves that beast around pretty well, so I'd imagine it feels even better in the vans?

I've heard mostly praise too. Of course, I heard mostly praise about XJ's and the day after I bought one everyone started saying "oh yeah you'll love it but they're total pieces of shit", lol. Sure enough... neutral safety switch, window wiring, hard start when hot, cracked cylinder head, the list goes on of problems I had with that Jeep.

They are decent vans. Get an alignment asap. They like to wear the outside edge on the front tires. 2012 seems like it was the first version of that engine. Newer ones they changed at least the oil cooler and filter housing. But by 150k any brand of minivan is normally going to shit. If it was a honda it would $1000 in engine mounts. Thats just the parts.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have it aligned and get a full inspection done ASAP.

If there anything particularly bad about the oil cooler and filter housing, or are you just noting that the design was changed in later years?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
I think I speak for everyone when I say that if you buy that vehicle...or any minivan...you must return to your original name.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Yeah I was thinking that.

Seems like this one got sold out from under me. The listing got changed to “SOLD”. I messaged her to ask her if that was right and she hasn’t responded. Last she told me, there was no rush as there was no way it would get sold before I could come see it.

Pretty shitty if that’s the case, I told her I’d buy it if it was what she said it was. But maybe she just marked it as sold to hold it for me?

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I'll have it aligned and get a full inspection done ASAP.

If there anything particularly bad about the oil cooler and filter housing, or are you just noting that the design was changed in later years?

I believe it was to fit in the promaster vans. The original  design you never would have got the filter out. Ocassionally they will warp and you will get a coolant leak under the intake. I really dont think they changed the cooler itself.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
Yeah it turns out the lady with the silver van sold it the day after she told me "Don't rush coming out here I can almost guarantee nobody will buy it before the weekend". Whatever.

Found another one instead. Also a 2012, little bit more money but only 105k miles, interior is in great shape, exterior is good but has a few dings and abrasions. Needs new front tires, that's about it. Gonna get tires and an alignment ASAP.

Nothing particular fancy and that's OK with me. Power sliding doors and lift gate are the fanciest options. Black cloth seats.

This thing rides sooooo nice and is so damned comfortable. I'm pretty please. Just need to clean up the wheels after I get the tires installed, run a buffer over it to reduce the visibility of the minor scratches, and do some fine-detail cleaning work on the interior (it's clean, but there's dust accumulation in the cracks and crevaces).

Onyx, feel free to change me back to MiniVanMan if you want.. as long as I can reserve the right to change it again if I get sick of it, lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:58:37 PM by 00XJ »

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
Yeah it turns out the lady with the silver van sold it the day after she told me "Don't rush coming out here I can almost guarantee nobody will buy it before the weekend". Whatever.

Found another one instead. Also a 2012, little bit more money but only 105k miles, interior is in great shape, exterior is good but has a few dings and abrasions. Needs new front tires, that's about it. Gonna get tires and an alignment ASAP.

Nothing particular fancy and that's OK with me. Power sliding doors and lift gate are the fanciest options. Black cloth seats.

This thing rides sooooo nice and is so damned comfortable. I'm pretty please. Just need to clean up the wheels after I get the tires installed, run a buffer over it to reduce the visibility of the minor scratches, and do some fine-detail cleaning work on the interior (it's clean, but there's dust accumulation in the cracks and crevaces).

Onyx, feel free to change me back to MiniVanMan if you want.. as long as I can reserve the right to change it again if I get sick of it, lol

:lol:

You don't have to change it back, buddy.  I was just messing with you. 

If you really want it changed, I can do it though.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
:lol:

You don't have to change it back, buddy.  I was just messing with you. 

If you really want it changed, I can do it though.

Oh I know you're just kidding around, but I think it'd be funny for a short while for any of those users who randomly pop in once in a while. I just don't think I'd want to STAY MVM for long, kinda want that shadow to be cleaved from me lol

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
Oh I know you're just kidding around, but I think it'd be funny for a short while for any of those users who randomly pop in once in a while. I just don't think I'd want to STAY MVM for long, kinda want that shadow to be cleaved from me lol

And done.

Hamspiced

• Super Administrator
  • Night Owl
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »
If it wasnt MVM i wouldnt have even known anymore...
Night Owl...

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
If it wasnt MVM i wouldnt have even known anymore...

That was my goal with the name changes over the years, lol