Author Topic: Thinking about getting a fun/fast sedan?  (Read 930 times)

speedy_2

Thinking about getting a fun/fast sedan?
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »
Not sure what I want. But, I miss cars like the '05 Comp and '98 STS I had. Also just drove a Passat GT at the Auto show, and that DSG was amazing! But,I believe a new Accord is faster and you can get a manual....but it looks hideous!! What do you guys think would be good option? I'm even craving a Park Avenue Ultra and make it a sleeper!!!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Thinking about getting a fun/fast sedan?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
Good luck. Do they even make anything like that anymore that isn't a luxury brand (Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes)?

A G8 GT would be fantastic but they still fetch a huge price.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 04:58:17 PM »
Dodge has the Charger with the V8.  You don't have to go obscene and get a hellcat.

You're right though, the Comp Gs were fun, and the force induction made them easier to make faster and more fun.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »
Kia Stinger?

Are you thinking new or used?  Are 4 doors a must?
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »
How big does it need to be? The 2019 VW Jetta GLI comes with the 2.0T that is in the GTI and comes with a 6 speed manual or DSG. The Jetta, while in a smaller class of cars, is decently roomy inside. You can pick one up for under 26K if you shop around.

I'd recommend a 4 door GTI, but with kids the trunk/hatch space is lacking.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

speedy_2

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »
How big does it need to be? The 2019 VW Jetta GLI comes with the 2.0T that is in the GTI and comes with a 6 speed manual or DSG. The Jetta, while in a smaller class of cars, is decently roomy inside. You can pick one up for under 26K if you shop around.

I'd recommend a 4 door GTI, but with kids the trunk/hatch space is lacking.

I'm thinking used. And also bigger and yes 4 doors to get the wife to sign off on it lol.   Maybe just find a GTP or something that hasn't been beaten to death?   

speedy_2

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:18:18 PM »
Browsing FB Marketplace...

Any thoughts on these?  I always like how they sounded. But, never looked into them at all.

RoR

• AH AH AH, NOT WITHOUT THE PASSWORD
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 11:05:42 PM »
Audi S3 👍

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
I'm thinking used. And also bigger and yes 4 doors to get the wife to sign off on it lol.   Maybe just find a GTP or something that hasn't been beaten to death?   

And deal with a cheesy plastic-y falling apart interior? Sorry, but you can do better than that.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

speedy_2

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:19:22 AM »
And deal with a cheesy plastic-y falling apart interior? Sorry, but you can do better than that.

The '05 Comp G I had was perfect. And I kept it that way.   So, I didn't experience any of that.  But, it is plastic-y for sure.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
The '05 Comp G I had was perfect. And I kept it that way.   So, I didn't experience any of that.  But, it is plastic-y for sure.

I think the older I get the snootier I get about interiors. Something about the era of those GM's (Hell I own one...) feels really cheap on an otherwise ok vehicle. Even our old 08' Equinox was remarkably bad...

PS stay clear of the Infiniti unless you like tearing apart the motor for various timing chain jobs...
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

speedy_2

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »
I think the older I get the snootier I get about interiors. Something about the era of those GM's (Hell I own one...) feels really cheap on an otherwise ok vehicle. Even our old 08' Equinox was remarkably bad...

PS stay clear of the Infiniti unless you like tearing apart the motor for various timing chain jobs...

I didn't stay in that phase long. lol. Now, those interiors are nostalgic. lol.  But, yeah, I do enjoy a nice interior.  But, honestly, for the price, I don't expect to be blown away lol. 

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:41 PM »

Considering a Comp G could be had at $25k but was one of the fastest cars in it's class, you can't really complain.  If they hadn't given it a plastic interior it would have been up around $35k

As for fall apart, neither of my GPs had that issue.  My BMW, on the other hand...

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
Considering a Comp G could be had at $25k but was one of the fastest cars in it's class, you can't really complain.  If they hadn't given it a plastic interior it would have been up around $35k

As for fall apart, neither of my GPs had that issue.  My BMW, on the other hand...

Living in the deep South for a while I seen some major failures of those interiors. They didn't hold up to the heat well at all. Although the demographic down there generally trashes any car within a year anyway so....
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

speedy_2

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »
Living in the deep South for a while I seen some major failures of those interiors. They didn't hold up to the heat well at all. Although the demographic down there generally trashes any car within a year anyway so....

I think it has more to do with the type of owner than the climate.   I had mine in NW Florida.  The heat and humidity was insane.  Everything in that interior was mint.

If anyone remembers that STS I had.  I bought it in San Diego off of a lease.  Took it to 150,000+ miles and it looked like it had less than 50,000 on it.  Sold it when I moved back to the Panhandle. I would see it around town.  Within a month it looked worse than it ever did when I owned it.  By now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's sitting in someones yard rotting.

speedy_2

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
Audi S3 👍

I always liked the S4's.  Wonder if the S3 would be a little tight.  What are good years for them?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
Oh, almost forgot!  My 328i was a blast to drive.  It was a different kind of fun than my GTP.  GTP didn't handle as well, but it had more than enough power to make up for that.  The 328i didn't have nearly as much grunt, but it was a manual and handled a lot better.  So might want to consider a car like that too.

speedy_2

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:53:11 PM by speedy_2 »

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator

speedy_2

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 08:38:04 PM »
Nice!  Going to go for it?

Which one you think?  Love that the Saab is a stick.  Why can't the GP's have something other than a 4 speed auto. UGH.  May go test drive. Looks pretty clean.

speedy_2

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
Good lord I'm in love and everything done to it that I would want to do....

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/cto/d/crestview-2008-bmw-335i/6838228919.html

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 02:58:01 PM »
Good lord I'm in love and everything done to it that I would want to do....

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/cto/d/crestview-2008-bmw-335i/6838228919.html

Did you buy it?  Listing is gone.

Which one you think?  Love that the Saab is a stick.  Why can't the GP's have something other than a 4 speed auto. UGH.  May go test drive. Looks pretty clean.

I've never been a fan of Saabs.  While I'm a big fan of GPs, there are cars I'd get over them...the Saab just isn't one.

speedy_2

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »
It was a 2006ish 335i with a tune and exhaust and suspension done.   

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »
It was a 2006ish 335i with a tune and exhaust and suspension done.

I test drove the xi version of those.  The steering felt a little heavy, even for an AWD car, but I would have gotten it if I hadn't run across my TJ.  Plenty fast and fun.

speedy_2

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
I test drove the xi version of those.  The steering felt a little heavy, even for an AWD car, but I would have gotten it if I hadn't run across my TJ.  Plenty fast and fun.

I haven't driven any yet. Still shopping.  But, just saw this. lol.  Not as pretty as the 335i, but way more sleeper vibe, which I would love lol.