Author Topic: Smartphones.  (Read 492 times)

speedy_2

Smartphones.
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:19:00 AM »
Holy crap do I hate these things.

A little background.

I was using Windows computers in the mid 90's at the age of  11-12?

I was building my own computer by 2000's

I was fixing friends devices even when I did not own one myself.

I was repairing computers from. 2007-2013.

Still build my own towers today.

I'm posting this from a, what I thought was decent device, Moto G5 Plus.

Ok with that out of the way. SMARTPHONES SUCK.  Period. Not just the actual phone itself, but pretty much everything connected to it.

The software and it's endless updates. The updates themselves which seem to randomly change or remove things for what reason?? I dunno.....

The extremely quick obsolescence.

The zombies these devices create. The teens that run into me out in public. The soccer mom's who drive like idiots who sure enough, are looking down at their phone

The utter lack of functionality of each app compared to my desktop machine.

My 4th gen i5 machine I built from a pre-owned video server on Craigslist, flat out, out performs even my acquaintances flagship phones at pretty much everything. 

Not only that, but this absurd crap has spread over into watches which I also happen to be in the business of repairing as well.

If one more retard tries to impress me with an Apple watch I think I'm going to lose it. I don't care about your phone strapped to your wrist.  I don't care if it counts your steps or monitors your heart. I wouldn't care if it cured cancer. Which honestly, it'll probably turn out to CAUSE cancer.

You would look just as ridiculous to me if you strapped a full size phone to your wrist.

Carry on good people.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:21:06 AM by speedy_2 »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Smartphones.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:24:27 AM »
The watches aren't even a phone - they're just an extremely limited extension of the phone that requires the phone to still be on your person. It's fuckin' silly.

However, if you're worried about obsolescence, stop buying shit phones. But they cost $600+ for a reason. Get a Google Pixel (the 3 is the current version) and don't look back for a few years. I've had my Pixel 2 for over a year and I haven't even considered updating to the 3.

And stop comparing your desktop machine to a phone unless you can put your desktop in your pocket and utilize it at any point.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
The watches aren't even a phone - they're just an extremely limited extension of the phone that requires the phone to still be on your person. It's fuckin' silly.

However, if you're worried about obsolescence, stop buying shit phones. But they cost $600+ for a reason. Get a Google Pixel (the 3 is the current version) and don't look back for a few years. I've had my Pixel 2 for over a year and I haven't even considered updating to the 3.

And stop comparing your desktop machine to a phone unless you can put your desktop in your pocket and utilize it at any point.

I work from home. So, the mobility isn't really that big of a deal. But, it is nice.  So, in a way for my situation, it is a legit comparison.  Performance and obsolescence aside, just pure functionality differences are what bugs me the most. No matter what phone brand or model. 

Maybe I'm just old now. lol.  All this dang whipper snappers and their smart phones.  Get off my lawn!!

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 05:07:10 AM »

This.

I stick with iPhones, then keep them for 2-4 generations (and I'm not counting the mid-generation changes like the iPhone 3 going to iPhone 3S).  If you pay for a higher end one, they last longer.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
I only bought my Pixel 2 to replace my OnePlus One because I wanted a top notch camera. Beyond that, I really wasn't having any performance issues. It was more than two years old when I replaced it and I only paid like $350 for it when I originally purchased it.

speedy_2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »
I only bought my Pixel 2 to replace my OnePlus One because I wanted a top notch camera. Beyond that, I really wasn't having any performance issues. It was more than two years old when I replaced it and I only paid like $350 for it when I originally purchased it.

I think I'm gonna jump to one of those.  Was shopping some similar models, but couldn't figure out which one to go with.  Thought about just going with an S9 or S10, but geeze the price.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 09:11:41 PM »
I'm telling you, go with a Pixel 3 and don't look back.

My biggest issue with these flagship phones like Samsung's stuff (Galaxy) is that you get their custom garbage Android version. It's riddled with their own apps and shit. The OS just never runs as smooth as it should. And get one from a specific carrier like Sprint? It's even worse.

When you buy a Google phone, you get straight up, normal, streamlined Android. It runs super smooth and you get all the latest updates as they're made available because you're not restricted to waiting for the brand or carrier to push out their own version.

I'm going to go full Google shill here and push their Google Fi cell network too. Love it. It works great for my wife and I because we don't use much data. You pay a price per phone line ($20/month first line, $15/month additional lines) and then $10/GB (down to the fraction - there's no rounding) for your mobile data. My wife and I use roughly 1 GB each month so we pay less than $50 each month for two lines, unlimited calling and texts. They use a combination of T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular towers - it's a multi-carrier sim and it switches to a tower based on coverage and signal strength.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
Pixel 2 (new) for $400: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-2-xl-64gb-just-black-verizon/6099989.p

It's from Verizon but unlocked so you can just put in whatever SIM you want.

speedy_2

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
Pixel 2 (new) for $400: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-2-xl-64gb-just-black-verizon/6099989.p

It's from Verizon but unlocked so you can just put in whatever SIM you want.

Not bad.  I currently have Verizon Prepaid.  $45 a month for 8GB. And then they started adding like another 7GB for free. I love it.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 02:21:34 AM »
My biggest gripe is buying a phone and getting a system update within 3 months that grinds the OS to a halt and devours battery power.  I have a Kyocery Saphire Pro and it's almost as big of a turd as the Motorola I had for 5 years.  When this was new, I could go about my day and go to bed with 50% or more battery power remaining.  Now I need to put it on a charger before I leave work.  I got this phone 8 months ago, it's pathetic.

It makes me want to go back to a dumb phone some days.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
My biggest gripe is buying a phone and getting a system update within 3 months that grinds the OS to a halt and devours battery power.  I have a Kyocery Saphire Pro and it's almost as big of a turd as the Motorola I had for 5 years.  When this was new, I could go about my day and go to bed with 50% or more battery power remaining.  Now I need to put it on a charger before I leave work.  I got this phone 8 months ago, it's pathetic.

It makes me want to go back to a dumb phone some days.

Well you have to think about the reason for the battery issues. Phones are more powerful with bigger screens but they're thinner and thinner so there's only so much room for a battery. Battery tech is pretty damn good right now but there's only so much you can do.

But I will say that my Pixel 2 has been great with battery. The most recent Android update has actually improved it further. Sure I'll need to charge it 60% through the day if I'm using it a lot but it goes back to my first point about power, screen, and phone size.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »
Oh no, my battery life was fantastic with this phone before the update got rammed down my throat.  This phone WAS  good before that.  Post update I feel like I need to reformat and revert a few updates.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?