Author Topic: Helped out a fellow Jeep owner today  (Read 302 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Helped out a fellow Jeep owner today
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
So, I'm on an old, snow covered road.  It is a slight up hill road, with a very sharp left had turn in this spot.

Now as I was behind this guy, I noticed that his back end would want to kick out every so often. I thought it kind of strange, and was wondering what was going on. He slowed down a little and started driving better after that, so I thought nothing of it. We get to the slight up hill area, and as he turns, he loses traction. He can't gain it back and wants to back up. So I back up a little. I'm thinking this is kind of strange, but hey, maybe something is wrong, tires are bad, he can't drive, who knows. After backing up multiple times, and him unable to get traction since he lost momentum going up the hill, I get out and approach.

He rolls down his window and I ask him if it's a four wheel drive Wrangler. I know in Hawaii there are a fair amount of non-4x4s, so I thought maybe in this area there were a couple. Though I thought that would be odd. He confirmed it is 4wd, but that it wasn't seeming to work. I look at his dash and see no light indicating he was in 4hi. So I look at his transfer case handle, then tell him to pull it down one notch. He pulls it down one notch and the indicator light on the dash lights up. He goes "Oh."

He was a foreigner from one of the African countries, so I let it go at that, but then he went right on up the hill after that.

We got out on to the main road, he waves, and I just chuckle to myself as I continue on my way to the next shortcut road.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Helped out a fellow Jeep owner today
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
I got stuck in some slushy snow on a side street near my house one day in my Cherokee. This was after the lift and tires. Couldn't believe it, I knew I had it in 4... Spent about 5 minutes rocking back and forth while people clearing their driveways gave me the side eye, then finally decided to just give the t-case handle a yank. Wasn't fully in 4 apparently, I'd been plowing through snow all along in 2wd and didn't notice until I hit the heavy stuff. Drove right out of it after that.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »
I got stuck in some slushy snow on a side street near my house one day in my Cherokee. This was after the lift and tires. Couldn't believe it, I knew I had it in 4... Spent about 5 minutes rocking back and forth while people clearing their driveways gave me the side eye, then finally decided to just give the t-case handle a yank. Wasn't fully in 4 apparently, I'd been plowing through snow all along in 2wd and didn't notice until I hit the heavy stuff. Drove right out of it after that.

This wasn't even close to being in 4.  He said he had trouble getting it in to 4.  I think people pull on it, feel the resistance, and are afraid to break it or something.  It takes a little effort go get it into 4 from 2.  He even said "It didn't want to go into 4" before I told him that he would have to use a little effort.

But I had the same thing happen to me in my 01 Wrangler as you did.  It's how I learned to watch for the dash indicator haha

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »
I know this is against the grain, but this is why I love the shift on the fly 4WD in our 2nd gen Liberty. I know if it fails it'll be more expensive, but eh.

Yes I know it's a girly Jeep, but I don't care. The Command-Trac system actually works really well and I've been through some shitty stuff without slipping. One case I was going up our steep mountain and the two cars infront of me got stuck almost instantly when we got to the steepest part. There was about 8" of packed slush and snow, but I went right around them no issues.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:23:30 PM by Delta »
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »
I know this is against the grain, but this is why I love the shift on the fly 4WD in our 2nd gen Liberty. I know if it fails it'll be more expensive, but eh.

Yes I know it's a girly Jeep, but I don't care. The Command-Trac system actually works really well and I've been through some shitty stuff without slipping. One case I was going up our steep mountain and the two cars infront of me got stuck almost instantly when we got to the steepest part. There was about 8" of packed slush and snow, but I went right around them no issues.

Every Jeep has shift on the fly.  That Wrangler had it, my Wrangler has it, my 1995 Jeep Cherokee has it.  The dude probably just thought if he pulled too hard that he would break it.  For some people though, like that dude, the electronic 4x4 is better.  Push a button or turn a knob, and you don't worry about shit all else haha

My mom's 14 GC is great.  Put it in snow, or leave it in auto.  In auto it will slip a little and catch.  In snow, it won't slip, especially with the BFG A/T KO2 tires she has on there.  The Jeep 4WD/AWD systems are really great.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:52:36 PM by Onyx Dragon »