Author Topic: Trade a watch for a car???  (Read 300 times)

speedy_2

Trade a watch for a car???
« on: January 10, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »
I've been doing watch repair and I'm slowing getting into buying/selling watches or whatever other watch stuff I find.  I made a decent buy on a waterlogged vintage Seiko.  Was in it $100 and swapped it and $500 cash for an Omega Speedmaster Triple date.  I'm getting lowballed like crazy.  Previous owner paid $2800 a few years ago. It's a sweet watch.   So, I was thinking, maybe I could get a second vehicle.  At least for running errands. It would come in handy!   One car sucks right now, and it's the Durango. And we put miles on it like crazy obviously.

Even if I only have maybe $2000 of buying power with the watch, what would you guys recommend for something solid and good on gas?  I thought about another 8th gen Hybrid Civic. We had one that was at 343K miles when I sold it, and the thing was solid and everything worked.  I think it was rated at like mid-high 40MPG?  Or maybe the older gen with the manual trans??   

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Trade a watch for a car???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
Anything Honda is a winner to me but it may be tough finding one for $2000.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
Honestly, I think a Pruis might be a decent buy. Those things seem like solid hybrids.

As I read through the first post I was thinking there is no way you could trade a watch for a car... But then I remembered I drove my $200 Comanche to the office while wearing a smartwatch :) The stuff you deal with should yield a nice ride.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
The prius line seems solid. My dad traded a pocket knife for a running, driving, Grand Wagoneer when I was a teenager. Trans cooler lines were leaking and the guys wife wanted it gone. I think it was a 91.