Author Topic: Back in the Car Market...  (Read 299 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Back in the Car Market...
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
My truck, an 05 Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 5.3, has 250,000 miles on it, and even though it runs and drives excellent for its age, the body is rusting so badly that it's not worth putting more money into - and lo and behold, it needs a fuel pump. The solid lines that are part of the pump are rusted and leaking, so the pump has to be replaced.. but it still works.

I've heard of and witnessed problems with aftermarket fuel pumps for Chevy Trucks, so I'd want to use a Delco part.. and they're almost $400. Ok, not terrible, I could justify spending $400 to keep the truck on the road for another few years. But.. I can't do the job myself. There are two ways to do it - remove the bed or drop the tank. I can't manage to do either of these without an air compressor, which I do not have. The bolts are NOT going to turn by hand. The lowest quote from a shop to do the job is like $400, and nobody around here uses customer supplied parts so they'll have to order the pump through their own supplier and of course, mark it up.

I can justify $400, I can't justify $1,000.

Looking through local ads and Craigslist I've not found a single candidate for replacement that isn't a rust bomb. These trucks get rocker and cab corner rot, I know, but seems like there's nothing in the whole state of Michigan that isn't as bad or worse than mine. No point in buying ANOTHER truck in the same condition.

But I found an 04 1500, ext cab, 4x4, 5.3 - basically my EXACT truck, just a year older - at a dealership. It has 191,000 miles on it. The passenger side rocker and cab corner show NO signs of rust. In fact, the entire truck looks rust free except for the driver's side rocker. The paint actually looks decent, the interior is clean but will need some parts replaced because of holes and stuff from having subs mounted or whatever, it runs excellent, drives better than my truck, doesn't  have any of the problems or quirks my truck has, needs tires, an exhaust, and maybe a water pump. They want $5,900 and are claiming they cannot go any lower. The truck is in their wholesale lot.

I looked it over and drove it and it seems like a very solid truck. The thing that really gives me a hard on for this that everything this truck needs, I already have - my truck's interior is nearly perfect, the exhaust is perfect, tires decent, it has a brand new alternator, battery, front brakes including calipers, tail light housings... the engine is healthy and would be great to keep around as a spare (I've never heard of a 5.3 dying though), the trans is a little janky but it's been that way since I bought it and hasn't gotten any worse.. glass is all good, door handles... basically I've got an entire truck's worth of spare parts. If ALMOST anything breaks on the 04, I could just rob it off my 05.

The problem is that we JUST paid off my wife's car and were really hoping to put that monthly payment toward other debts. "But you need a new car anyway so what's the dilemma?" The dilemma is that my father in law bought a 2001 Saturn Wagon from a co-worker for $500 - complete with mismatched body panels, bad exhaust, dirty interior, so on - it's a shit box. But he INSISTS, INSISTS that we can just HAVE the car so we don't have to buy something. I mean... I feel like an asshole, and I don't want to seem ungrateful because I truly AM grateful for his generosity... but I can't drive this shit box around. I hate driving broken ass little shit boxes. I hate it. More than I hate most things. And I don't want to cart my son around in this thing. But I'm kind of stuck in this situation where, because someone is offering me a free car, I can't TRULY justify saying no.

I could look for a vehicle that isn't $5,900, yes, but in Michigan, many vehicles priced less than that will probably be in about the same condition as my truck. Not worth just swapping junk for junk, you know? You can't touch a 100,000 mile truck of almost any year for less than $5k, especially a 4x4. Now, I don't NEED 4 wheel drive, I barely use mine as it is, but 2WD trucks are not common in Michigan except for single cab work trucks - and I can't swing that, I need the back seat for my son's car seat.

I guess I'm more just ranting than anything... but what do you think you would do? We CAN afford to make a payment on this truck, it's just that we wanted to not have a car payment so we could pay off other things like our recent Central Air unit replacement or lawn mower/snow blower. Do you think buying an identical vehicle, so that you have an entire vehicle's worth of spare parts, makes enough of a difference to offset still having a $200/mo payment? Or would you just swallow your pride and take the "free" shit box and hope that you can get other stuff paid off within the next few years, and that you can find another truck worth buying? Or would you just fix the old truck even though it's rusting to the point where there will be holes allowing air to enter the cab within the next few years?

I'm supposed to go to the dealership and try to get them doing to $5,500 out the door. I know they won't take that, they'll probably bully me up to at least $6,000 since this is a wholesale vehicle.

I don't know. I hate car shopping.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:53:23 AM by 00XJ »

Delta

• Torquemada 71
Re: Back in the Car Market...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
Drive the free car for a while to save up money for a better down payment on a nicer truck. However there are so many incentives on new trucks you can get one for a decent monthly payment.

I'm in the same boat trying to find a decent 4wd truck in a certain price range that isn't rotted out. Almost ready to trade 2 for one (as we no longer need a 3rd vehicle) as the Chevy and Ram dealerships here are offering 15K off brand new trucks. Only issue I'm having is I can't fit a full size 4 door truck in my garage. First world problems, I know :lol: And mid sized trucks are going for a premium...

You can fix the old truck, but it'll just rust through shortly. I've been battling that on my S10 and it's never ending.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
1999 Chevy S10 - 5spd

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
You don't have any local friends with the tools to do it? And you don't own a decent cordless impact?

For now I would fix what you have. Go buy a Ryobi cordless 1/2" impact. Hell, there will probably be deals around Christmas. Or find someone local that owns a cordless impact.

By the way, the fuel pump is $300 through GMPartsDirect: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-fuel-pump-19303391/

Where's the rust that it will be making holes into the cab soon? Any friends at a body shop? I know you used to work at a dealership. Maybe you can cut off some stuff at a junkyard and get someone to weld on the replacements. Do the paint work yourself - it doesn't need to be perfect.

You said it yourself that even rusty trucks sell for a couple grand so you're better off fixing what you have, keep it for a couple years, and look into replacing it down the line.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
Drive the free car for a while to save up money for a better down payment on a nicer truck. However there are so many incentives on new trucks you can get one for a decent monthly payment.

I'm in the same boat trying to find a decent 4wd truck in a certain price range that isn't rotted out. Almost ready to trade 2 for one (as we no longer need a 3rd vehicle) as the Chevy and Ram dealerships here are offering 15K off brand new trucks. Only issue I'm having is I can't fit a full size 4 door truck in my garage. First world problems, I know :lol: And mid sized trucks are going for a premium...

You can fix the old truck, but it'll just rust through shortly. I've been battling that on my S10 and it's never ending.

Well, a NEW truck is out of the question for multiple reasons.. one, we don't want that kind of payment, and two, I don't think I'll be buying any new GM product, I wasn't happy with what was being made before I quit the dealership and I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

You don't have any local friends with the tools to do it? And you don't own a decent cordless impact?

For now I would fix what you have. Go buy a Ryobi cordless 1/2" impact. Hell, there will probably be deals around Christmas. Or find someone local that owns a cordless impact.

By the way, the fuel pump is $300 through GMPartsDirect: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-fuel-pump-19303391/

Where's the rust that it will be making holes into the cab soon? Any friends at a body shop? I know you used to work at a dealership. Maybe you can cut off some stuff at a junkyard and get someone to weld on the replacements. Do the paint work yourself - it doesn't need to be perfect.

You said it yourself that even rusty trucks sell for a couple grand so you're better off fixing what you have, keep it for a couple years, and look into replacing it down the line.

I don't know anybody in the area that is even into cars like that. Sucks. If I still lived in Lansing I'd have people all over the place. I might just need to take an hour drive and see if one of them would help me out for some beer and pizza. I should've convinced my wife to let me get an air compressor back when we first moved in... we decided against it in favor of some other things we wanted to do, and now that the baby is here, forget it. I have all the air tools I would need to do the job, just nothing to power them with.

The rust has breached the inner body structure, it's not just the outer shell anymore. It's slowly climbing it's way up the inner rocker panels and cab corners. I'll take some pics, it's gotten BAD.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:04:44 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 08:33:47 AM »
I don't know anybody in the area that is even into cars like that. Sucks. If I still lived in Lansing I'd have people all over the place. I might just need to take an hour drive and see if one of them would help me out for some beer and pizza. I should've convinced my wife to let me get an air compressor back when we first moved in... we decided against it in favor of some other things we wanted to do, and now that the baby is here, forget it. I have all the air tools I would need to do the job, just nothing to power them with.

The rust has breached the inner body structure, it's not just the outer shell anymore. It's slowly climbing it's way up the inner rocker panels and cab corners. I'll take some pics, it's gotten BAD.

I still think it's worth fixing it at this point and hopefully getting at least another few years out of it until the rust destroys it. Then it will truly be a parts truck.

You keep talking about a compressor but ignored my comment about a cordless impact. It's worth it, trust me.

Home Depot also rents air compressors. They have a gas powered that puts out 13.9 cfm. That should do what you need and it's $55 for the day.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:38:33 AM »
https://flint.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2004-chevrolet-silveradox4/6764496917.html

Good idea

That's a beautiful truck. I'm gonna have to give them a call.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/d/2001-jeep-cherokee/6766682534.html

https://flint.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-jeep-cherokee-sport/6766417932.html

https://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-jeep-cherokee/6766100772.html

https://flint.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-jeep-cherokee-sport-4x4/6765563289.html

You're welcome  :mrgreen:

I was very tempted looking at Cherokees.. but ehhhhhhh... they're just too small for current life activities. I get way too much use out of my truck to downsize unless i have no other choice.

I still think it's worth fixing it at this point and hopefully getting at least another few years out of it until the rust destroys it. Then it will truly be a parts truck.

You keep talking about a compressor but ignored my comment about a cordless impact. It's worth it, trust me.

Home Depot also rents air compressors. They have a gas powered that puts out 13.9 cfm. That should do what you need and it's $55 for the day.

Sorry didn't mean to skip on the cordless impact bit - yeah I've wanted one, I'm curious if it would handle the job though? Usually the bolts holding the truck bed on are a BITCH even for air impacts.. you gotta ugga dugga them for a good long while, almost the entire way out. I don't know much about electric impacts but I'm feeling like they might get too hot with that kind of sustained usage?

I didn't know about rental air compressors. Never even crossed my mind. I'm going to look into that. Thanks!

Worst case scenario I'm cutting a hole in the bed above the tank. Don't know how I'm going to do that without throwing sparks, but I'll find a way.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
I was very tempted looking at Cherokees.. but ehhhhhhh... they're just too small for current life activities. I get way too much use out of my truck to downsize unless i have no other choice.

That is just blasphemous!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »
Sorry didn't mean to skip on the cordless impact bit - yeah I've wanted one, I'm curious if it would handle the job though? Usually the bolts holding the truck bed on are a BITCH even for air impacts.. you gotta ugga dugga them for a good long while, almost the entire way out. I don't know much about electric impacts but I'm feeling like they might get too hot with that kind of sustained usage?

I think you'd be very surprised how good these things are. Most mechanics are making the switch because lithium ion batteries have made a tremendous difference. You have these big amp hour batteries but they don't weigh shit so the tool is really light and still has 400+ lbs of loosening torque. Pretty amazing.

I have a cordless Ryobi set and love it. For what I do, the Ryobi stuff is great when you weigh the price. People who do a lot of wrenching go with Milwaukee.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
I think you'd be very surprised how good these things are. Most mechanics are making the switch because lithium ion batteries have made a tremendous difference. You have these big amp hour batteries but they don't weigh shit so the tool is really light and still has 400+ lbs of loosening torque. Pretty amazing.

I have a cordless Ryobi set and love it. For what I do, the Ryobi stuff is great when you weigh the price. People who do a lot of wrenching go with Milwaukee.

Yeah, I might buy a set myself.  I used some of my buddy's and fell in love instantly.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »

I love my Kobalt cordless impact. This is the newer version of mine:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-volt-Max-1-2-in-Drive-Brushless-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-1-Battery-Included-Included/1000604927

I've had mine for four years and it's still EXCELLENT. I charge the batteries a couple times a year. Never short on power. I've used them on lugnuts, hubs, brakes, exhaust and it's never given up. Super convenient compared to air tools.

Also FWIW I can't imagine giving 5000+ for a truck with 200k on it and rust. That's absurd. Truck market is ridiculous.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
The cordless stuff has come a long way.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Stubby-3-8-in-Impact-Wrench-Kit-with-One-4-0-and-One-2-0Ah-Batteries-2554-22/305980696 I bought that kit off the tool truck, rebuilt the suspension on a double axle trailer with it. Never needed a bigger gun. For your kind or rust you would want the 18 volt. I was pretty impressed tho.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
I talked to the shop foreman at the bus garage and he said he'll do the job for $150. Ordered a Delco pump for $280. I HAD a Bosch pump for $150 through Amazon, but I accidentally canceled the order and when I went to reorder, it was "out of stock" and the price jumped to $299... fuck me. Hasn't come back down yet either so I just gotta eat that mistake I guess. Dammit.

But yeah I guess I'm just gonna keep this truck going as long as possible after all. The rust worries me but it's probably got another couple of years left. As long as the engine and trans hold up it's probably worth just fixing anything else that breaks.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Once we get back on top of finances (babies are expensive) I'll be looking into cordless impacts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:36:05 AM by 00XJ »

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
Do you guys have vehicle inspections? If not, you can probably drive that thing several more years before the rust gets the frame. Around here they're strict about perforations. I had to put a new rocker on my truck to get it to pass and before next time it'll need a bedside. Although most people have an uncle brother that's got a buddy that'll pass it. I see way too many trucks with no rockers/cab corners and a fresh new inspection. I've never been that lucky.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
1999 Chevy S10 - 5spd