Author Topic: Smartphone Frustrations  (Read 298 times)

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
Smartphone Frustrations
« on: November 21, 2018, 12:11:50 AM »
I got a Kyocera Duraforce Sapphire this past May and it's beginning to drive me nuts.  First, the messenger app keeps changing its default settings on me and I have no idea why.  I have all kinds of screwy fonts and it changes font size intermittently.  Second, for the last month and a half my battery life has been abysmal.  I used to be able to use the phone throughout the day and it would still have 50% of a charge, now I'm dead or close to it by 2pm.

I don't have a ton of apps but I deleted the ones I wasn't using and it's still killing the battery.

But the messenger app makes me want to kill someone.  It keeps inserting these fucking emojis despite me turning the "smart emoji" function off.  I'm not a fucking kid, I don't need pictures in my text messages.  Anyone know how to stop this shit?

It's an android phone.   Any ideas or am I just a dumbass?
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Mick

Re: Smartphone Frustrations
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
Are you running any music apps? I know when I have had spotify on my phone even not running it drains it quick. also in settings under device maintenance(on my s8 anyway) you can check to see which apps are using the most power to give you some insight on what is killing it so quickly.

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
I have a Moto G5 Plus.  The battery was starting to really drain.  I checked the power settings.  It showed that Amazon Alexa was using the most battery out of any app. And, I DON'T EVEN USE ALEXA. I disabled it.  Although, I'm unsure how much it is "disabled" after doing that. 

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
Alexa is fucking my kid's Fire tablet too. If Alexa is active (even though the slider is disabled) it will chew through the battery in less than 24 hours completely idle.

Unfortunately they haven't found a way to root these things yet so I'm stuck with it. If I do a force stop it will stay off until it's rebooted.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
No music aps.  No Alexa.  I have Maps and a couple trail finding apps.  The rest are bank apps and weather.  I disabled a bunch of built in apps (fucking NFL app, seriously??) but I also wonder if they continue to lurk.

My battery usage points 25% for Firefox which makes sense but I don't believe I'm using more than before.  I'm pretty busy at work these days and most of my activity is texting.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 06:55:07 AM »
Have you recently done an android update? Mine phones always get goofy after I do one.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »
Yeah it's had at least two updates. 

It just pisses me off... I spend a lot of money on a phone and it works great for a few months, then an update comes along that strips out useful features, and now that may also be the source of my battery drain?  WTF??  What are the programmers thinking here?  None of this makes sense.

speedy_2

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »
Yeah it's had at least two updates. 

It just pisses me off... I spend a lot of money on a phone and it works great for a few months, then an update comes along that strips out useful features, and now that may also be the source of my battery drain?  WTF??  What are the programmers thinking here?  None of this makes sense.

Seems about par for the course with these things.  I can't stand phones and tablet.  I used to build and repair PC's 10 or so years ago.  No one wanted to pay more than $300 for a new PC and they wanted it to "do everything."  Now, these same people drop up to $1,000 on a phone without hesitation.  And what are they doing with them??  Facebook and selfies??   /FACEPALM   

On top of that, they still ask me for help when they have problems.  And one drop and their screen is done for.  I'm starting to hate the tech world these days.  I'm typing this on an i5-4670K tower I bought on Craigslist a year or so ago for $350.   I doubled the RAM and installed windows 10 on it.  It give me ZERO issues, runs everything I need or want too.  My wife has been through 2 tablets.  A new screen on the newest tablet. And always something with either that or the phone.  And why so many stupid "updates?"  My phone gets updates pretty much daily.  Can no one write an app that can run for more than a day without needing to be updated?

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »
If I weren't texting or wasting time at work I'd drop the smart phone; they aren't that smart and create a constant source of frustration.  I take the good with the bad but I wish the fucking things would just work like they're supposed to.