Author Topic: Been doing some work on my Cherokee  (Read 492 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Been doing some work on my Cherokee
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
...and realizing I still love this damn thing!  My sister has been driving it for the past 2 years (single mom, needed a dependable car).  She's big on the whole independence thing, which means she tries to do the maintenance on my Jeep, which means it piles up.  So anyway, new tires are on, I am replacing the sway bar links with quicker disconnects (she won't use them, but they are stronger, and the link on the driver side has been bent since I got it), new sway bar bushings, new idler pulley, recharged the A/C, getting new speakers installed to replace the dead and old ones, new battery, new radiator and upper radiator hose, and having satelite radio installed (a treat from our mom for her) since she gets only crappy radio on the eastern shore of Maryland.

So she's been driving my '13 Wrangler, but damned if I don't miss this old girl.  She's noisier, doesn't have a removable top, is slower, and creaks a LOT.  But damned if she isn't still fun! 

My mom has been pretty cool about this, she drives 2 miles to a commuter lot, so during the 3 weeks I've had it, she has just swapped with me, so she drives the XJ to her commuter lot and I've been taking her newer Grand Cherokee to work.  Her first day with it she tells me "Did you know that you can just whip that old Jeep right into a parking spot with no problem??"

I'm not sure what it is about those old Cherokees, but people just seem to love them.  I gave my dad my old 95 and that thing was noisy, had no carpet or insulation and rattled like a baby's toy.  He loves that damn thing.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Re: Been doing some work on my Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
Sometimes I miss mine but my love affair was kinda broken up when the cylinder head cracked. I became a little disillusioned after that because I truly believed that 4.0's were bullet proof, yet of all of the vehicles I've ever owned, it was the ONLY one to ever suffer a failure like that. Kinda broke the image I had built up in my head of the invincible XJ.. maybe if I'd bought a 99 or older I'd still have it. 2000-2001 are apparently the two years you could get one with the defected cylinder head.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
I don't have an xj, but my explorer is similiar in size. I love that it still feels like a truck and the nimbleness and capability for its size. Its ugly and getting uglier but I dont think I could get rid of it. I wish they still built new suvs of xj size and capabilities. Then I might actually go car shopping.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:55:09 AM »
Sometimes I miss mine but my love affair was kinda broken up when the cylinder head cracked. I became a little disillusioned after that because I truly believed that 4.0's were bullet proof, yet of all of the vehicles I've ever owned, it was the ONLY one to ever suffer a failure like that. Kinda broke the image I had built up in my head of the invincible XJ.. maybe if I'd bought a 99 or older I'd still have it. 2000-2001 are apparently the two years you could get one with the defected cylinder head.

Honestly, I would have replaced the head and kept it!

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
I might've if my truck hadn't come along. Too good of a deal to pass on.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
Work has been completed.  I took it to a shop for the swaybar bushings and quicker discs, since I ran out of time.  Speakers are in (composites, so 4 speakers total), and it rides and handles like new.  I drove it 3 hours to my sister and the thing just cruised right along at 70-75 mph, smooth as silk.

My nephew hates dirty cars, so I made sure to run it down some dirty roads with mud puddles (stopping to spin tires in the mud, of course)!  I had mud thrown up on the hood, the roof, the windows, everywhere  :lol:

Back in my JK and as nice as it is, I already miss the XJ.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
There is something special about the XJ platform. I'm not sure what it is, but I know that I would ditch my Land Cruiser faster than a meth head looses his teeth if a stock, white, rust free, 5spd, 97+ XJ popped up locally.