Author Topic: So, drove away from my work today...  (Read 145 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
So, drove away from my work today...
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
...for the last time.  I've been working there for 13 years, but now I'll be working elsewhere.  Seemed kind of strange driving away knowing I'll never be there as an employee again.

Also a bit nervous moving to another job after doing this one for 13 years.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: So, drove away from my work today...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:06:14 AM »
Yea that's a strange feeling. I still have the same employer, but next week I move a a new office 500mi away from my current one. eerie but I'm looking forward to it.

Gremlin

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 01:08:44 AM »
Congratulations, Onyx! I'm sure the new job will be a big step in your career. Does new job have better pay, benefits and a shorter commute? However do you enjoy the work you do? Don't feel nervous at all. Feel good that traded up and climbed a few steps on your ride to top.

I do talk some rubbish

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »
Congratulations, Onyx! I'm sure the new job will be a big step in your career. Does new job have better pay, benefits and a shorter commute? However do you enjoy the work you do? Don't feel nervous at all. Feel good that traded up and climbed a few steps on your ride to top.

I do talk some rubbish

Commute will be a little longer, but with a 34% pay increase, it's worth it.  Definitely better benefits.

The work I do hasn't be true technical work for years.  The job I'm moving to puts me squarely back into tech work.  In addition, the job I was at was originally Qwest, bought out by Centurylink, who then bought out Savvis and we changed our name to Savvis for a bit, then back to Centurylink, then the hosting division was sold to Cyxtera.  Cyxtera is largely an investment group, so I would imagine in the next 1-3 years we'd be sold again.  The future there is questionable as far as who I'd end up working for again.

As for being nervous, I am.  Buddy of mine pulled some strings to get me where I'm going, so I really want to make sure I do well there.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:58:40 AM by Onyx Dragon »

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
Congrats man. I wish you the best.