Author Topic: Cooling information  (Read 338 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Cooling information
« on: June 17, 2018, 02:55:51 PM »
Ok, so I was tired of my laptop running really hot when gaming.  It's an MSi GP72VR 7RF Leopard Pro.  It has a dedicated GTX1060 video card, and the CPU and GPU both have copper heat sinks with copper tubes running to fans for cooling.  It would get around 65-68'ish C when playing a game such as World of Warships and with a cooling pad.

The cooling fan for the CPU went bad, and since I had to take off the CPU and GPU fans together (the cooling system is hooked together at one point) I decided to do the GPU fan to be safe.  When I ran the system after replacing the fans and using new thermal paste, I noticed it ran even hotter (would spike at 70 C with cooling pad and external exhaust fans).  I used the Thermaltak TG-7, since it had decent reviews and I was kind of under the gun since I needed my laptop for some studying.  At idle the system would hover around 42-45 C with just the cooling pad, 38-40 C with cooling pad and exhaust fans.

I purchased some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.  It had really good reviews (supposedly the pest non-conductive...non-liquid metal) thermal paste around.  At idle with no cooling assistance from the pad or the external exhaust fans it was sitting at 38 C CPU and 41 C GPU while running with slightly more power to the CPU (this machine has the ability to increase or decrease CPU speed from an interface).  With a cooling pad it idles at 36C CPU and 38C GPU.  With the exhaust fans it idles at 32C CPU and 31C GPU.

Just took it on World of Warships with this setup.  Ran a high of 64C on CPU and GPU.  The recover time is fantastic.  It's already back to 47C for the CPU and 37C for the GPU in under 2 minutes.

I realize those temps sound pretty high but it is a Kaby Lake proc, and Intel states that the temps on it run higher than most.  They said anything under 100C is OK (if it hits 70-80, I consider that too high, myself).  They consider 70 or lower to be normal.

As for this setup, I highly recommend the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut if you're looking to cool things down inside your desktop/laptop.  If you want to go even cooler, you can go with a liquid metal paste, but there are inherent risks with that (such as it IS conductive and if you put too much on, you run the risk of it getting somewhere it shouldn't and shorting stuff out).  That being said, I am currently building a gaming desktop that will be delidded, and use liquid metal thermal paste for cooling, as well as a liquid cooling setup of some type.

speedy_2

Re: Cooling information
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
I may try that on my desktop. I have an i5 4670K.  It has a cooler on it, but I have it running stock because I didn't feel like running it any warmer.  I also need to figure out how to get my fans to run variably. They are either low or high(loud).  Nothing in between. So, when I do get a temp spike it gets loud.  Especially the video card.