Author Topic: Check Fraud Advice?  (Read 215 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Check Fraud Advice?
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:36:39 PM »
Don't know if anyone here has any knowledge on this, but figured I'd ask.

Here's the scenario.

Received a bill from the Anesthesiologist. Wrote check, payable to the Anesthesiologist, inserted in pre-addressed return enveloped, mailed out on April 28th.

Check cleared on May 4th.

Received past due notice from Anesthesiologist.

Check Checking Account summary, yes, the check was cleared. The money was taken from our account.

Viewed check image. It was cleared by a Gastroenterology Practice elsewhere in the city, a practice with which we have NO business and never have.

Credit Union says they can't help us other than to prove that the check image is legitimate.

Anesthesiologist's office wants their money by July 9th or they're sending it to collection, irrespective of the situation at hand. (of course, they're just as much a victim in this as I am I suppose)

Gastroenterology Practice was pretty dismissive at first, saying they have no record of that check ever arriving, nor any trace that the balance was ever deposited into an account of theirs... but after I faxed the check image to them that PROVES that they were the ones who cleared it, they said they would have their finance manager investigate. No idea how long that's going to take, and since it's Friday, I expect to have to wait until next week to hear back.

I have some questions.

First, isn't it fraudulent to cash a check that isn't made payable to you? Even if you're a business? This was no mistake on my part - the check image shows that it was made out correctly, and the Anesthesiologist's office confirmed that it was made out correctly.

Second, shouldn't my Credit Union be stepping in with more help than just verifying information?

Third, if the Gastroenterology office tells me to fuck off, what do I do? I have PROOF that they cashed a check not written to them, and that the check was NOT endorsed.

What do you all think?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Re: Check Fraud Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
It is fraud.

I would think your CU would be move involved

Tell them if you don't hear from them by Tuesday that you'll be getting a lawyer.  They won't want to face legal issues over this.

EDIT: Oh, and talk to a lawyer.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:50:44 PM by Onyx Dragon »

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
Soooo...how did this turn out?

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Totally forgot.

Ultimately I spoke to the financial manager of the Gastroenterthedragonology place and it turns out that both offices go through the same bank, and checks written are funneled through the same system and then split into the appropriate accounts AT the bank. What must have happened is that the person routing the checks simply got them mixed up - mine was one of 4 that this happened to.

I basically told them that the bottom line is that I paid my debts correctly. The check was written correctly, it was addressed correctly, and the money was taken from my bank account - that everything on my end is done, it was someone on their end of the deal that screwed up and therefore I see no reason why anything more from me is required. They said they'd put the collection on hold for a month while this is sorted out - I stated that collection shouldn't happen at all since the money WAS collected, but she insisted that it's just a technical thing until the account is resolved, but that they would handle it.

I never heard back, so I'm assuming they figured it out and settled my account. If it comes up again, I'm going there in person to sort it out.

My Credit Union basically told me they couldn't help in any way, which I think is bullshit. They printed an image of the check for me but that's essentially worthless.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
The Credit Union screwed you over.

I work in a national bank and my office is next to the ladies who process that kind of activity. Those gals would have immediately been on the phone with the processing folks at the other bank to get the mistake corrected. Maybe this isn't typical customer relations, but I know they deal with stuff like this regularly.

Good to hear you got it settled.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
Yeah I wanted to press the issue but the problem with that is the manager of the CU is a close friend of my wife's family's because my wife's family has an irritating obsession with keeping all of their business among their friends and other family even when it's not even remotely convenient or logical. So putting up a fuss could have made some ripples.. and I just don't want to deal with that. I'm pressuring my wife into moving to a new credit union ASAP.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:17:18 AM »
Smart move.  Having a friend "in the biz" is great until your problem isn't important enough to be their problem.  When that happens it's time to move on.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?