Author Topic: Finally made the jump to 4K  (Read 297 times)

speedy_2

Finally made the jump to 4K
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:11:27 PM »
I've been researching and trying to decide on a 4K TV for a long time now.   But, finally a deal came along and I decide to jump on it.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55C8PUA-oled-4k-tv

It's LG's 55" C8PUA  OLED.

I'm coming from a 42" Panasonic GT25 Plasma.   Which wasn't bad, but the size more than anything was an issue.  Now, it's the bedroom TV. 

The OLED is incredible.  Especially, HDR content or HDR Gaming like Forza Horizon 3.

I scored one for $1649 here  ---->  https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED55C8P-55-4K-HDR-Smart-AI-OLED-TV-w-ThinQ-55-Class-OLED55C8PUA/253507358759?hash=item3b06375027:g:lzMAAOSwPGpbBy09

I had planned on going with the B7A, but for the price I figured I'd splurge and get the newer C8 with the newer processor. 

Anyone have any links or info for good 4K/4K HDR content to view on this thing?  I've been on Youtube and have a subscription to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. 

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Finally made the jump to 4K
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
I'm looking at replacing our main TV as well. It's been giving me problems for years now - it always takes 2 attempts to turn it on and if you turn it off you have to wait about an hour to turn it on again. It appears to be something heat related.

I'm debating if it's worth spending the money on a OLED panel. I'm looking at 60" minimum (current TV) but more likely 65". Walmart currently has a refurb OLED65B7P for $1,550. Throwing in tax and a 4-year warranty brings it to $1,766 picked up. That's a lot of cash.

I'm trying to justify spending that much when I can pay ~$1,100 (without watching for a sale) for a 65" full-array backlit LED display.

If I was sure the TV would last 8 or more years, I think I would feel fine spending the money for OLED. But with how mediocre the life span on tech is these days, I just don't know.

It's not a necessity that the TV is replaced right now - it hasn't really gotten worse over a few years so it may be worth waiting a year for OLED to drop in price. And to pay for the $14,000 patio we just had installed.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »
Have you looked at TCL? The new 6 series is supposed to be decent for the price.  I was thinking about getting one, but for the viewing angles I needed, it would've have worked. Picture quality suffers more than I was willing to put up with.  Other than that, the Sony X900E is one I was considering as well.  But, again for my crazy angles, I'm glad I went with OLED.  Because coming from Plasma, I would've been disappointed with anything else.  Samsung QLED's are supposed to be pretty good now as well, but they're pricey too.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:55:35 PM »
I've looked at all the ones you mentioned. I'm using www.rtings.com to check out reviews, specs, and comparisons.

Viewing angle is a bit of an issue in our family room. Not major but it's definitely something for me to consider. I'm also focusing on blocking reflections too. With our current plasma, any sort of lighting in the room is a real pain in the ass and I don't want to deal with that anymore.

I really want to go with OLED but it's definitely a big price jump when you get above 60".

speedy_2

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
Yeah, luckily I was limited to 55" anyway and that deal was pretty good.  My room isn't very bright and the TV is high up, so I can't really comment on the reflections on the screen.  But, it does appear pretty black just sitting there. 

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:36 AM »
Cripes. Four figures for a TV seems excessive in my eye. What makes these new TVs attractive to folks? I am genuinely curious. The last 3 TVs my wife and I have got were hand-me-downs from the inlaws compulsive need to upgrade. We are finally up to 32", but I don't see much difference in picture over the course of 6 years of upgrades.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
Cripes. Four figures for a TV seems excessive in my eye. What makes these new TVs attractive to folks? I am genuinely curious. The last 3 TVs my wife and I have got were hand-me-downs from the inlaws compulsive need to upgrade. We are finally up to 32", but I don't see much difference in picture over the course of 6 years of upgrades.

Thickness, picture quality (color gamut, deep blacks, edge bleeding), viewing angles, reflection muting, HDR, etc. For most people, a low tier TV is fine.

Considering the price, just look at how it was 10 years ago. A 42" plasma would cost you a couple grand because the tech was so new. With these OLEDs, the tech is just now becoming main stream. Sony had an OLED TV available many years ago - it was only like 24" but it cost more than $1000. Now 55" OLED TVs with much better tech (WiFi, web apps, life span, brightness, size) can be had for the same price.

Want to see something cool? Check out this wallpaper-style TV. This is where OLED tech is going: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNSSlk__x4

speedy_2

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »
The wallpaper is crazy.  And yes the prices have come way down and are still dropping.  The 42" Plasma I replaced was $1700 new I believe.  And I paid about the same for the 55" OLED.   I was also surprised at well the built in sound is on this TV too.  I've yet to connect my Klipsch Soundbar back up because I need to have a riser built. It can't sit in front of this TV like it did the old one.

speedy_2

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »

Go to a Best Buy or similar store.  Look for the OLED or the Samsung QLED or even Sony OLED or high end TV's.  It's pretty cool especially if they're feeding the TV good quality content.  Also, if you care about all those details it's worth it.  I'm too OCD and notice the cloudy blacks of cheaper LCD's.  Also, being into photography I notice color as well.  And, since I've paid for stuff like an Xbox and Forza, I want to see it in its best form.  Another thing about 4K TV's, depending on the processor, a cheaper set may not upscale 1080 or lower resolution very well.  Which means, you may end up with a worse picture for those resolutions than with your previous TV. The Plasma really spoiled me there, because even SD content looked ok on it.  I've seen some TV's upscale horribly.