Author Topic: Sooo, American Chopper Is Back On TV For Some Reason  (Read 679 times)

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
Sooo, American Chopper Is Back On TV For Some Reason
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:46:56 AM »
I was flying home today and as part of United Airlines advertising beatdown on their planes I was able to watch an episode of a new American Chopper.  I didn't plug in my headphones and could tell exactly what was going on.  Am I alone when I ask "why is this back on tv?"  I thought the original show died long after its expiration date and now it's back with more of the same stupid shit that ruined the original.  What do you all think?
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Sooo, American Chopper Is Back On TV For Some Reason
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
You seem very surprised. :lol:

Stuff like this is what the masses want to see and production companies want to make. It costs them very little and makes a ton of money.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
You seem very surprised. :lol:

Stuff like this is what the masses want to see and production companies want to make. It costs them very little and makes a ton of money.

Unfortunately, this is true :( 

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »
Yep, I am a bit surprised.  I thought everyone in the world was tired of the show and the chopper craze died, I guess I'm wrong!  Plus I thought the two Teutel goons we're too busy suing each other to be bothered with a show.  Oh well, whatever.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
Yep, I am a bit surprised.  I thought everyone in the world was tired of the show and the chopper craze died, I guess I'm wrong!  Plus I thought the two Teutel goons we're too busy suing each other to be bothered with a show.  Oh well, whatever.

They need to make money to be able to sue each other  :lol:

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
The thing that cracks me up about all this is that you are their primary targeted audience.

To see all of you talking this badly about the product is testament to their arrogance.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »
The thing that cracks me up about all this is that you are their primary targeted audience.

To see all of you talking this badly about the product is testament to their arrogance.

You're totally right and it adds to what I said. People don't give a shit what they're producing regarding the bikes. They want to see the bickering, bitching, yelling drama.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:24 AM »
You're totally right and it adds to what I said. People don't give a shit what they're producing regarding the bikes. They want to see the bickering, bitching, yelling drama.

There are car building/repair channels on youtube that do the slow, boring work of showing you how its done... while getting hundreds of thousands of views.

What today's viewer wants is no artificiality. Homegrown youtube filmmakers are getting bigger audiences because of this.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »
There are car building/repair channels on youtube that do the slow, boring work of showing you how its done... while getting hundreds of thousands of views.

What today's viewer wants is no artificiality. Homegrown youtube filmmakers are getting bigger audiences because of this.

Hundreds of thousands of views over what time frame?  These guys are getting ratings like that in days, not months or years.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
Hundreds of thousands of views over what time frame?  These guys are getting ratings like that in days, not months or years.

No idea on time frame, but I see a lot of channels hitting high numbers just dicking around in the shop.

TV ratings are notoriously difficult to get a hold of with specifics, since companies survive off the networks paying them for the data. But, with a search, I saw American Chopper had 1.3million viewers with a 0.5 share on their recent showing. Not bad. Doug Demuro can pull those kind of numbers using a gopro lol.

There is just way more money in TV because of the 20 minutes of forced ads you see during the hour long show.

At any rate, I still prefer to watch youtube videos over tv shows now. It really is the future because of how targeted the content is. I just watched hours of videos pertaining to pc tower builds for workstations, how to overclock, and other related stuff by a slew of very well produced channels. Then I can kick back and watch this old tony show me how to use a tig welder. It isn't artificial, there aren't any producer notes telling him what to do, and it feels truly sincere. That's the essence of my filmmaking as well, since I'm doing the groundwork to start a few channels very soon.

Wish me luck. I think you guys might like the content.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:56 AM »
The issue with YouTube now is, from what I've heard, the monetization took a huge hit over the last year or two. Some people are making 1/10 what they were getting before the changes.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:58 AM »
The issue with YouTube now is, from what I've heard, the monetization took a huge hit over the last year or two. Some people are making 1/10 what they were getting before the changes.

Yep.  It was done to crack down on people making BS videos, but it hurt the people who have been making good videos for a long time.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:00 AM »
Yep.  It was done to crack down on people making BS videos, but it hurt the people who have been making good videos for a long time.

What happened is Youtube wanted to host TV channels on their servers and some kind of deal had to be made. Right before YoutubeTV was released, everyone got hit hard with monetization losses. This is only a theory, but it lines up perfectly. They just needed a scapegoat with the hate channels. Networks do not want any competition, and they see indie creators as the scum that threatens them. The golden key for networks is to control the channels of communication in any way possible.

When advertisers briefly pulled away from YT, they lost revenue and took it from the creators themselves. Big youtubers that were starting proper production networks and getting serious revenue through them scared the living crap out of the networks, telecom network providers and TV production houses.

Notice how the algorithms changed for recommended and hot videos? Now they show decade old videos in your feed, rather than related stuff that has been recently uploaded with a lot of views. View counts for the big youtubers went from millions to 100k overnight. This kills the youtube production houses. Many people were planning on investing into fully funded shows on yt... then YT rolled out youtube red, algorithm change and demonetization to cover that. They don't want new people taking from the pie, even though they could have made the platform truly revolutionary, growing the pie. The leadership at YT are absolutely blind.

Now big youtubers do in-video promotions that earn them higher values per thousand views. Anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars per 1000 per ad. That and Patreon. A few survive on the big-money scale, like Linus Tech Tips.

YT only gives 3 dollars per 1000 for very, very well monetized channels. Normal is 1 dollar, or less. It used to be closer to 10 per thousand.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »

What today's viewer wants is no artificiality.
Homegrown youtube filmmakers are getting bigger audiences because of this.

Dunno man, from what it seems on TV everybody wants to watch the dramatized crap they put on TLC and the such. Even Velocity has gone to shit. I'm waiting for some Idiocracy style shows (like Ow My Balls :lol:) to be the normal in the near future. The general masses love that shit. Don't even know why I'm even paying $200 a month for cable and internet. I only watch the Weather Channel and catch old MASH reruns. Yea, I live a super exciting life :lol:

I'm with you on Youtube though, that's my main entertainment. Hell I've discovered alot of new music on there too. It is getting to the point of being unbearable though with all the ads, and I really don't want to spend for a Red subscription. Hell even my Ad Blocker on my computer is struggling with all their ads.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
1999 Chevy S10 - 5spd

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 01:33:18 AM »
adblock plus on chrome will disable all video ads!

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 01:36:42 PM »
Garbage TV. Whenever I travel for work I'm reminded why we cut our cable.

I also killed my Motor Trend on Demand subscription when they added all the discovery crap and made the originals harder to access.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
I also killed my Motor Trend on Demand subscription when they added all the discovery crap and made the originals harder to access.

It's really not a great app to begin with. It's very clunky especially with a Chromecast. I'm okay with a small paywall but the platform needs to get better to use.

MadFairlane

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »
Killed off my Amazon, Stan (Aussie streaming) and MTOD subs this month.

Just going to keep netflix now, as we rarely watch TV anymore.

Just too damn busy haha
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes