Author Topic: Rallycross  (Read 761 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rallycross
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Anybody have experience with rallycross, specifically with the SCCA? I am just looking for some basic information about the sport and competition. This isn't rally racing, but more like autocross on dirt.

I have a few parts Jeeps I've been trying to figure out what to do with and have concluded I could build one complete Comanche, 2wd or 4wd. I've done some preliminary measuring and testing and I am confident I can maintain 4wd while lowering the truck 2" and still have 3" of up travel. Couple that with some short wide tires like 245/50r16's on stock aluminum wheels and CV axle shafts instead of u-joint shafts, it would be a solid runner weighing right at 3,000 lbs.

I thumbed through the rule book and class guide and believe the truck would pass a safety inspection without a problem. 

Am I off my rocker? Barking up the wrong tree? Waiting my time?

Maverick

• Beast Within
Re: Rallycross
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
Comanche rallycrosser?

Too interesting not to try :-)

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »
It sounds cool and from what I've seen looks fun.  Do you have a local race you could attend?  Maybe run your ideas by the tech guys and see what they say.

If you have something already running, I would suggest just showing up with it and try entering it.  Run it as is and see how it stands up, then modify.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »
Roadkill ran a rallycross in their rental support van (the one the camera guys were riding in).

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
That was a good episode!!  I wonder if there was a spike in craigslist searches for AMC Hornets.  I looked.  (Then found a 69 Javelin instead! :) )

I didn't want to cite the show but it did turn me on to the idea of that kind of racing.  I'd enter my van although it would be slow as hell compared to the (suspected) competition.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?