Author Topic: 1991 Galant VR4 1810/2000  (Read 783 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
1991 Galant VR4 1810/2000
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »
    Eat my ass - at all the incoming comments lol.

I'd been gnawing at myself trying to not buy this thing. Buddy had it posted for 1k in buncha DSM group and he was getting blown up by people getting shipping quotes and lining up trailers/road trips this weekend.
    I told him I was so close to taking it and he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.
    I've always wanted a GVR4 and was pretty jealous when he bougt this a couple years ago. Stock bottom end, stock trans, FP2 cams and bc springs/retainers, had an HX40, 1150cc injectors, FMIC, ecmlink v3, etc- all the good stuffs. Was a nice good running simple setup around 400whp. Ended up having clutch issues and trans had a grind in 2nd under hard shifts. He's not as big of a mechanic as others and was saving up to send it to BoostinPerformance to have a full build done.
    He put in a new JNZ clutch pedal assembly, slave and master cylinder. Not sure if it needs a clutch or not - i think it might just need bled.

Anyway he decided he wasnt going to have time for it and wants to focus on his ion redline.
    He started trying to part it out but works 70+ hours a week at a factory and decided he didnt want to keep pulling parts off in his little spare time and trying to ship them + it's getting cold and he doesnt have a garage.

I'm having this thing hauled from his house to mine tonight, not even a mile.

From what he parted out so far I just need a turbo, injectors, FPR, ecu&tuning, MAF, exhaust manifold, FMIC, bov, radiator&fans, and cams.
    Seems like a lot but it really isn't as car is mostly complete drivetrain wise.

• Turbo - with my 92 I got back my old Buschur 20g as well, has some slight shaft play but it should be fine on a simple 15-20psi setup.
    • Injectors - can find a set of 550cc or evo 560cc for like $60-70
    • FPR - used aeromotives go for around $100, will go that route
    • ECU & Tuning - only real expensive part. I'm going to look for a ECU /w the old version of dsmlink (ie: V2) for around $250-300. I don't need all newer functions. Or I'll buy a $500 ecu /w V3 full for my 92 talon and take its ecu with V3 lite and put it in the galant.
    • MAF - I have a 2g MAF i'm going to use
    • Exhaust Manifold - I have a stock 2g exhaust manifold I'm going to use
    • FMIC - I'm going to talk to the guy I got my talon back from, he has its old obsolete Apexi-GT fmic (only good for like 300hp) and the piping and the NGR type-s bov. Basically in his junk pile, going to try to pick it up from him for around $50-75 and modify the piping to fit the galant. So that'll take care of the bov too
    • Rad&Fans - 1g radiators work with slight mods and free up more room. I still have my old somewhat beat up but functional Mishimoto rad from my green talon and a stock set of fans
    • Cams - I have a set of stock cams but I might splurge for some cheap 272's if I can get a set of regrinds or something for $150-200

Then maybe it might need a clutch, I'd probably cheap out and pick up a used decent condition ACT2600 for around $200 from a ECMLink Forums or DSMTuners member - buying used stuff like a clutch I won't deal with facebook people or people with no feedback.

The only thing that actually sucks is he sold the JDM bumper it had which are extremely sought after by the GVR4 community. One of the best known GVR4 community members drove a 24 hour round trip to come get it. I'm not really upset about the JDM bumper, just even finding a regular US bumper can be a challenge with only 3000 of these cars being in the US and at least half or more probably long forgotten in junk yards now. So that'll be the toughest thing finding a bumper for it.

Otherwise I'm psyched, The 4 lug wheels alone are worth what I'm paying for it. I could literally part it out for $3000+ with what it has and how clean it is.
    The only real issue is the hood has some typical rust along the edges. Body wise it's clean and even the underside is clean.
    My justification for buying it was I'll either part it out and make some money over winter or get it back on the road. Obviously with what I typed above getting it back on the road is more likely.

The talon as I mentioned is more of a "I just wanted it back in my garage" deal. So I might even rob a few parts off it for the Galant for the time being.

Overall if the galant is on the road I plan for it to be a VERY simple quick setup. hence the 550-650cc injector plan. 300whp - 15-18psi on the 20g should be sufficient and should make a fun reliable daily driver without worrying about breaking much. So essentially a replica of my 92 talon's 2010 setup on 91 pump gas which ran 12.7 with a bad trans. I'd like to see the galant to a 12.9 capable car. Should be a lot of fun and still a bit of a sleeper for a 80s looking jap box

Thank god I love shit that doesn't run in my driveway. Just said I was done with DSMs/4g63 cars for a long time too then these two deals fall into my lap

Pictures of it I took 2 years ago, hasnt changed much this was right before I drove it to his house for him clutchless shifting because it quit on him. Since then it has sat

[/list]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:50:42 AM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: 1991 Galant VR4 1810/2000
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
Holy shit.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
Awesome score.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
well i still think im going to buy it, but might sit along with the talon for a bit now or have a higher chance of parting out.
As of this morning I was all gung ho on it.

Just got pulled into office by owner of the company I work for and told my position is being eliminated since it's a direct support assistant management position to our branch's General Manager and she announced as of Monday that she's leaving in 2 weeks which took everyone by surprise. They decided they're cutting out her position and my position.
They said they'll try to keep me on for minimum a month up to 2 months. Enough time for me to hopefully find a job, worst case they won't contest any unemployment or anything and will give me great references for anything I apply for.

Absolutely nothing I've found from my last hour of job searching. It's a small area where jobs in my field can be fairly hard to come by so I'm a bit worried. If all else I might try spending more time flipping cars as well since unemployment won't be nearly close what I currently make. Definitely had no forewarning of this, owners were just saying in my review 2 weeks ago they hoped to move my GM to the other branch and not have me replace her here but transition me into some of her responsibilites around managing our field sales team by summer 2018 with a new job title and a raise.

So ultimately finances may get in the way on both projects. I can afford my bills regardless but the extra project/toy money will have to be squeezed down a lot unless I find something new soon
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:31:52 PM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
Haha that's awesome. Nice grab.