Author Topic: 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD  (Read 1243 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
So, bought a car - no surprise there. This one is a bit special though.
I would of loved to resurrect my old build thread from this car because I had a full thread on here for it but it was before the 2009/2010 purge happened so it's long gone.

I've always said especially every time I bought another DSM how much I wish I would of kept my first one. My last green AWD car was pretty clean but still had a super rough interior, wiring, and good amount of rust underneath the side skirts.

So my first AWD DSM was a 92 eagle talon I bought from a buddy who lives a couple hours away. He got it very beat up but running and driving and daily'd it through college. Year or so in and the bottom end let go. He did a very budget but decent rebuild & restore. He sourced black leather interior for it, dark gray carpeting. He cleaned it up a bunch. Was originally a 7bolt car (late 92 build date) - he got a 6bolt block and had a shop do a stock rebuild on it. He used a lot of parts he had from his past dsms such as an oldschool Buschur modified OEM 20g, and some other misc things. It was really just a bolt-on car.

I bought it a year or so after that as he just finished his college and got into subarus, he picked up a 5speed forester XT. I brought the talon home and at that ime i had never really worked on anything myself or done any kind of build on anything.
Immediately felt way in over my head with NO mechanical background or family who could help cause none of my family are into cars or mechanics.
So through youtube videos and mostly dsmtuners.com (at the time forums were still way more popular than social media, miss those days) I managed to tackle problem after problem. Had issues with the motor mount, throttle cable, wire harness, exhaust manifold, downpipe gasket, intake, crank pulley, timing components, etc. Lots of stuff that constantly made me regret buying it - still managed to usually fix stuff after it happened. My buddy did a good job on the car but he tried to make the engine bay clean and wire tucked and some of the "tucking" caused more issues than it was worth. Nevertheless the car itself was pretty clean and interior was nice and it had a pretty good bolton build. I daily drove the car most of the time I owned it.

I got rid of the 'chip' tune it had and got DSMLink V3 Lite which is when I learned how to tune myself. I ended up running a best of 12.7@107mph on 20psi.
Full setup at the time was full stock block, stock trans, spec clutch, 2g MAF, 650cc injectors, walbro 255, aeromotive FPR, had a custom made o2 housing with a tial mvs 38mm wastegate, tuned myself on 91octane. I hurt the trans and it would grind on hard shifts to 2nd from that night on. With 93octane and a couple more degrees of timing it ran 14.0@112mph so it definitely had more power but i couldnt get 2nd for the life of me due to grinding.

I then put it up for sale thinking I wanted out of it tired of fighting issues because at that point it was either sell it or commit to doing all new suspension  (springs were all cracked and rusted, still has them on it) and rebuild trans, put a better clutch in it, and re-do some wiring. All stuff I couldn't afford to do at the time being in school and making min wage and not having a dedicated garage of my own to let it sit for long periods. So I sold it to some kid from Chicago who came down, bought it and drove it back. 2 days later he text me he broke an axle trying to launch it. Should be noted I was going to sell it with the 91 octane tune in it and he practically demanded the aggressive 93octane tune so I warned him he had to be sure he only put in good 93. Our walmart here has 93 and it would detonate on that 93, but the conoco 93 would pull and feel great with no detonation.  A week later he told me he blew the motor and asked if i Wanted it back for 3k and i said no. Then he offered it 2500 a couple weeks later cause he put a new bottom end in it and didnt time it right and smashed the valves into the pistons. So he bought an already mildly built head and managed to time it right apparently and blew it up a couple weeks later beating on it - found out he cut the knock sensor wires so they wouldnt pull timing when they picked up the detonation.

Then the guy I got it from bought the car and found holes in the piston. He wasnt so much a dsm guy himself, it was his first one, but TSIDrift1, a really well known guy in the DSM community for having probably the cleanest 1g out there, is one of his best friends and was helping him with the car. They tried to restore the car a bit and got a lot done the first year or so. He ended up contacting me figuring out I was the previous owner because the kid I sold it too who he got it from lied to him a bunch about the car and he wanted to figure out from me what exactly was done to the car and all. We talked for about an hour back in 2011 when he got ahold of me. From there one we PM'd back and fourth once or twice a year for a few years on dsmtuners. At one point I said if he ever got rid of it to let me know and if I was in a position to buy a car I'd love first shot to get it back.

Well 7 years he has owned it now and he never managed to complete it. The car is mostly complete just a lot of wiring left to do and piping needs finished and bungs for sensors welded in.

Here's a breakdown of where the car is at:
0 miles Rebuilt stock 6bolt
Head has 272 BC cams with Ferrea valvesprings so basically identical to my green talon.
0 miles Fresh rebuilt trans with TMZ torsen center diff
0 miles Southbend TS/TZ HD Kevlar Dual Friction clutch - exact same one I had just put in my green car and I loved it.
JMFab Sheet Metal Intake Manifold
Punishment Racing FMIC kit
1450cc FIC injectors
Still has same walbro 255 pump with 6an braided feed & return lines that it had when I sold it I believe.
Forced Performance Cast Manifold
FP3065 Dual Ball Bearing Turbo.
Precision 38mm Wastegate /w Tubular o2 housing
I believe it's a punishment 3" downpipe.
Has an ebay catback, kid kept the Apexi N1 exhaust it had to sell it.
AEM Wideband, AEM Truboost boost gauge, AEM oil Pressure gauges.
Still same EPROM Ecu and ECMLink V3 Lite that I put in it. I'll need to upgrade it to V3 Full.
Still has my aeromotive fuel pressure regulator also with the braided line to rail.

There's more but that's all the main jist. Kid also ripped out the stereo and cut the wires, so guy i got it from - he hard wired a double din touch screen. It's not my thing but i'll live with it.

It's amazing I sold the car with 125k on the odometer in 2010. The kid I sold it to drove 5 hours back to chicago and the car now has 127k miles. Those are all from that kid, he only got 2k miles out it basically blowing it up 3 times and trashing the car as much as he did. Feel really bad for the guy I got it from for all the years he put into it to never get it going with how close it is.
Even crazier is the fact that I was literally taking money out of the bank Friday on my lunch to go buy an 87 IROC-Z that was clean but hadnt run in 2 years, needed a fuel pump. Otherwise super clean car and came with a LS 5.3, LS swap BMR k-member, a-arms, PCM, wiring harness, ls2 intake, and some other odds and ends. This guy messages me for the first time in 2 years at this point and says if I'm looking for a dsm by chance he thinks he's going to part it out and cut his losses but was going to give me first chance to buy it back as is. So i apologize to the guy with the iroc and chose to pick this thing back up instead.

The thing that sucks - is my biggest achilles heel is wiring. I can do basics, I've fixed dsm ghetto rigs before. I've wired gauges before. However the guy I got it from was doing a FULLY tucked harness with every extra wire pulled completely out of the harness, and had the loom completely peeled apart. He has it all labeled by numbers but it's still strewn over and just looking at it makes me feel in over my head though he tried to take time to explain the methods to his madness and the labeling but I'll be honest it was in one ear out the other practically as much as I tried to see what he was talking about. So it'll be a lot of trial and error and if it's too much I might just buy a completed milspec harness.

Outside of the wiring though nothing else is too intimidating to me.
The trunk is full of all the parts off the car and other new stuff including things like the super rare aftermarket clear headlights that you can't find anywhere anymore, all the interior pieces including extras, extra sensors, new o2 sensor, various piping, new FP drain line, gauges,vacuum lines, more wiring, all different kinds of pigtails/connectors he took from junkyards in case he ever needed them, body trim pieces, etc. I also got the Buschur 20g back which has some shaft play now so I might rebuild it and keep it shelved until the inevitable day I find a use for it.

My first goal is going to be to just get all sensor bugs welded in and exhaust & intercooler piping finished up. Then the FP drain line. Then brakes. Brake lines are all there, has new calipers and pads but no brake hoses yet. So want to do that + buy a set of e-brake cables. All that should be fairly simple stuff.
Then I will start trying to actually tackle the wiring as best as I can.
Once wiring is good and mechanicals are all good I should be able to give it a first start on a base tune and let it move under its own power for the first time in over 7 years.

It'll be far from done though. Then I plan to fix the rust on it. It's most all surface rust right now. Surface rust on the rockers now that is hidden by the sideskirts but I want to take care of it. Then the fenders were bubbling when I sold it but paint was still there. Now it's just rust. No rot really though yet still very saveable. The rockers I can just grind the rust down and por15 it and paint it and put the sideskirts back on. The fenders have enough rust in the small thumb sized spot that ill cut it out and weld small patches in for a temporary fix but ultimately I will try to pick up some rust free fenders because I do plan to have the car repainted potentially next year. Paint job isn't bad but has  enough minor defects that ill be itching to repaint it especially once it has new fenders.

Mechanically there's not much I want to change. Fp3065's have ran mid 9's. They're extremely potent street turbos that have great spool times.
Will probably upgrade to a 450lph E85 pump.

Suspension is still as old and broken as it was when I sold it so I plan to do all of that after it's running. Nothing crazy since DSM's do good with stock style suspension. Planning just Tein Springs and KYB GR2 shocks just like my green talon had. Then new tie rods, ball joints, control arms, bushings, and sway bars.

My goal being stock bottom end will be around 450-525whp

Timeframe for all this is up in the air. Believe it or not I'm actually not that interested in the car right now. I really still want a 6speed LS car for a fun reliable cruiser to beat on and just enjoy. I just really knew that getting offered this thing back at the perfect moment was a sign and I'd never forgive myself if I missed the chance to have it back. So I don't plan to really mess with this thing unless I don't have anything else to do. When I do get it done it should be a super fun and nice DSM. Not going for any records or anything - just want a nice clean example of a DSM with enough power to be fun. Overall it's just nice to have it back - the car that really started it all for me.

Here are current pictures as of now (today at the guy's house before I left and the car as it is now that I got it home.
Side note super impressed with my truck! about $2000 into it now including the cost of the vehicle I traded for it, all new moog front end stuff, and the new tires which I sold my old ones for enough to cover the new ones - owned it almost a year now and it did great pulling my boat around town but this was its first time pulling any kind of decent load such a good distance. Hardly noticed trailer there did way better than I thought!

That's all for current pictures. Here are some from when I owned it almost a decade ago!
Some of you might remember these pictures from my original pre-purge membermobiles thread when I still owned it.

This pic - green non turbo fwd laser was my first car. I was selling the 91 formula bird. Was day after I got the talon

Walkaround from spring/summer 2010
https://youtu.be/OhbFVcpOn9Q

12.7 pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3QFSvMsYms

acceleration video from right around when it ran 12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvGvIg5xQ4

Anyways, im pretty happy to have it back. We'll see how much I get done and how quickly. Like I said I'm not really in the DSM mood, I just bought it to have it back for now. For what I gave for it I could always part it out and make my money back but ultimately I know I'll get the drive for one again and I'll have my ideal one back to do it with.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:43:05 PM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
Re: 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:08 PM »
Sorry for the massive book - just too much nostalgia and history for this car to write any less for it!
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:30:31 AM »
Holy shit 2k miles in6 years? :lol:

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:41 AM »
yeah.
I sold it September 2010.
Within a couple weeks kid started breaking it and within 2 months it was blown up for a third time and posted on craigslist for sale for like $2200 when he gave up on it. He was really last one to drive it. He sold it saying he didn't know what was wrong with it. He removed the battery cables and battery to try to be sure that no one could even try starting it or to do a compression test.

Guy who i got it from bought it still got it at a decent deal at $1800 I suppose - but he managed to get it running but it ran horrible misfiring and barely idling and billowing smoke. Said he drove it up his driveway across the street and back down into his garage where it sat for the last 7 years. Ended up finding it with bunch of small holes in a piston from detonation.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:07:32 AM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
Who's surprised? I'm not surprised.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MadFairlane

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »
Who's surprised? I'm not surprised.

Me neither... I wont be surprised when he flips it for an extra couple of grand next week either.
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »
Me neither... I wont be surprised when he flips it for an extra couple of grand next week either.

On the plus side, it's in pieces so maybe he'll part it out and I can get myself a good deal on some stuff. :lol:

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »
Haha for what I have in this thing I won't be flipping it. I'm already into the hole with it.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »
Finally bought the main thing I needed for the car minus some suspension.

Scored it for $500, was planning to buy it at tax time or when I sold the galant for the new price of $650.
Saw this one up for $500 and had to jump on it still brand new in box.

I just don't feel like going through the previous owner's cut apart halfway done harness.  Every DSM i've ever had excluding my one clean stock one, has had wiring issues from previous owners, general age and wear/tear on them. So I'm extremely excited to finally have one with a brand new harness. Any hurdles should be fairly small since it is primarily plug and play.

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD