Author Topic: 2002 Mustang GT  (Read 1618 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
2002 Mustang GT
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:19:28 AM »
You might already know this if you have me on facebook, but Kalgorn was right about me spending as much as I did on my 14 GT.
Im pretty big on buying cheap stuff and not having car payments. The '14 GT was fun but between the payment and insurance totaling about $550/mo I had a bit of buyers remorse. It's not that I can't afford it. I just like more financial freedom where I can throw money at other non-auto projects whenever I want and keeping the '14 GT would of put a damper on that.
I initially bought it with my buddy telling me he'd give me $27.5k for it if I decided I didn't want to keep it. I paid 26k for it. I never registered it because of trying to decide. I finally decided to let him have it the other day. He's been looking for a blown coyote car but is super lazy and hates road tripping for stuff so he was hoping I'd basically deliver it to him lol. Was a fun 1000 miles I put on it but ultimately I'd rather not be 26k in debt on it. Just wasn't worth it considering it wasn't really what I wanted.

So I went back to my hunt primarily for a 82-92 third gen to do a LSX/t56 in which as some know ive honestly been hunting for a couple years. Every one I ever find and look at ends up having rust/rot or other defects that the seller either didnt know about or tried to hide in communication and the original ad. I was in Chicago for a big trip sponsered by my work once a year so looked around for cars to check out while I was there. I came across this thing. A new edge is pretty up there on cars I'd like to have a LS setup in. I love the style. They're relatively easy chassis to mod/work on and have a huge aftermarket especially for LS swaps

I picked it up for $3500. It has 192k miles but you'd never know it. Everything works great - cold ac, cruise, all the power options. Has black leather interior in great shape no rips or anything. No bad wear cracking really either like you'd expect for any car with over 100k and leather. Body is great with no real bad defects. Rear bumper right side has a couple paint chips the size of a pencil eraser.

Was very well maintained by the previous owner. I call it an American Muscle special. Seems like it has a lot of (somewhat useless) stuff he just saw on american muscle and thought "oh cool gotta have that".

Lot of new parts too and he kept all the receipts for everything.
Here's the new stuff & mod list I copied from his ad
"Borla S-type cat back exhaust
BBK cold air intake
SR Performance 70mm throttle plenum
SR Performance caster camber plates
SR Performance lowering springs about 1.5 inch drop
Steeda Tri -Ax short throw shifter
Modern Billet retro style shift knob black with running pony
Koni front struts/ new front control arms
Mach 1 chin spoiler
Mach 1 grille delete kit w/ chrome pony
LED fog lights
LED interior lights
LED plate lights
New rear shocks
New rear axle dampeners
New ABS module
New fuel pump
New rear pinion bearing and seal. Has Royal Purple diff fluid
New U-Joints and balanced driveshaft
New Rack and Pinion
New front calipers
New front wheel bearings
New idler pulley and serpentine belt
New door hinge on drivers side
New front vent cowl"

so the current plan.. my TA should be being sold tomorrow or at least this week sometime to another friend of mine.

Then I have another friend who I'm talking with about buying the cammed LQ9/T56 combo out of his S10.
Then I will probably pick up the team z LSX swap kit which includes their kmember, a-arms, motor mounts, springs, and some hardware.
Will probably run Motion Racework's LSX Easy Fuel system kit which comes with all the line, fuel pump, and corvette filter/FPR.
I plan for simplicity sake to run a set of 98-02 Camaro gauges. People fit them pretty easily in the 94-04 mustangs and can retain a somewhat factory gauge setup that way.
Still unsure of what tuning software I'm going to use.

Ultimate goal is just a super fun street cruiser. My other friends have 8 & 9 second turbo 5.3 swapped new edges with TH400s. I love going the drag strip and running but not enough to build an all out drag car. I drive my cars a ton daily and after my TA I really can't stand driving an auto anymore even with a stall.
Running a 4L60 or Turbo 350/400 would be way easier in this new edge with an LS but I know I wouldn't be happy with it.

I want to keep the body pretty much stock. Doubt I make many changes. Might not even ever opt for a cobra bumper swap or spoiler and keep the stock GT hood.
I really like the way this turd looks. I dont mind about cruise but I'd like to keep heat and the other basic quality of life things operational. I "might" try keeping A/C if I can get a line made to work with the factory AC stuff and a GM compressor.

I would keep the stock interior since its nice but honestly the 94-04 mustang seats suck especially for someone with a bad back & neck like me where you can't comfortably even use the headrests driving.
That's one nice thing also about this car is that it runs and drives great and everything is in great shape. I should be able to recoup a lot of $ for my build just by parting out the stock 4.6 & t5 and interior pieces. Also when I sell the drivetrain I'll probably put the stock stuff on it and sell the "performance" stuff separate like the shifter/throttlebody/etc.

So thats my big plan. Looking for 450-500whp on the 6.0/T56 running just motor. 430-460whp is the goal cam only. 470-500 is the goal with maybe some AFR 220 heads. If I really get in a good financial spot I'd love to get a blower for it.
I also budgeted a coyote swap but it's still enough extra that it'd end up being more for the cool factor than overall functionality.

Thought about trying to mess with the 4.6 and throwing boost at it but honestly to even get to 450-500whp I'd have more in it than the LS/T56 swap and it wouldn't be reliable and still on the T5.

It's hilarious even with a few bolt ons how slow these cars are.
Overall though it drives great, nicer than multiple new edges i've driven under 100k miles.

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

MadFairlane

Re: 2002 Mustang GT
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:59:42 AM »
You wont have it long enough to do all that shit lol
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
You wont have it long enough to do all that shit lol
never know, everything's always for sale for the right price  ;D ;D
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:10 AM »
Bought a Mustang to put an LS motor in it. :lol:

BTW I've never heard of the term "new edge" for these.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
Bought a Mustang to put an LS motor in it. :lol:

BTW I've never heard of the term "new edge" for these.
really?
I've always seen it thrown around a lot. The Sn95 then the "new edge" sn95 from 99-04. It's what ford dubbed the redesigns around the 2000 range.

I've always liked these cars though a lot but therer really isn't dick you can do with the 4.6. The cost of getting something like a built MMR 2v 4.6 to handle good power quickly negates the cost of an LS swap and hell even a coyote swap. Especially when you factor that you'll need a new trans probably regardless. The TR3650 won't last behind any real power. I like this option a bit more than the third gen because it already has a decent rear end that will handle what I want to do - might upgrade axles at most. There's almost as much LS support as the third gen and they're a better chassis especially in terms of just all-around build quality especially in the interior.

This is one of those things I always wanted to do but since it pretty much requires a big swap to do what I wanted to do I always shy'd away since until I bought my house I never had a place to really undertake large projects.

Also has helped being around them with a couple friends here like I mentioned in the initial post, just from being around them and helping on some of their stuff I've familiarized myself with them a bit.
Here are both their cars.

The guy with the 2nd car pictured doing the wheelie actually bought that one from the guy with the one in the first picture - he did the initial build on both cars.
The GT in the first pic has ran high 8's in the 1/4. The cobra clone in the 2nd pic just finished drag week and KOTS, has had a best of 9.2 in the 1/4 if I'm thinking correctly.
The GT just got mostly parted out though - he just kept the chassis/suspension/wiring cause he intends to build it again at some point. For now he picked up a 2011 Cammed & Procharged C6 vette.

Mine definitely probably wont be as fast as them especially being I'm sticking with a manual.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:51:02 AM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Mick

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Yup, I have always referred to them as new edge mustangs.

By the way you are a car whore... :slap2:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »
At least he resells them and doesn't just hoard.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »
what can I say, I love driving different things.
I wouldn't sell as much if I could afford to have 10 different cars at once.

+ you'd be surprised how much extra $ I pull in yearly just by flipping vehicles. August alone I paid all my monthly bills and still had a good amount extra left over with the profits from the camaro.
It really helps me live pretty damn comfortably and I have fun doing it. It's amazing with some cars (example: the camaro) you can literally just buy and spend a couple hours cleaning and taking actually decent pictures of them and how much more you can get just because of how much better the car is presented. I have a lot of fun with it. Having fun and making money at the same time is a hard one to beat!
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
what can I say, I love driving different things.
I wouldn't sell as much if I could afford to have 10 different cars at once.

+ you'd be surprised how much extra $ I pull in yearly just by flipping vehicles. August alone I paid all my monthly bills and still had a good amount extra left over with the profits from the camaro.
It really helps me live pretty damn comfortably and I have fun doing it. It's amazing with some cars (example: the camaro) you can literally just buy and spend a couple hours cleaning and taking actually decent pictures of them and how much more you can get just because of how much better the car is presented. I have a lot of fun with it. Having fun and making money at the same time is a hard one to beat!

I have been pondering something like this!  I'm decent at detailing/polishing/etc, so I've always thought this would be a fun way to make some extra cash. 

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
I have been pondering something like this!  I'm decent at detailing/polishing/etc, so I've always thought this would be a fun way to make some extra cash.
it's just super rewarding when you can turn such a quick easy profit just by doing a few simple things the previous person couldnt take the time/effort to do.
it's not like I'm screwing people either, i always write lengthy fully honest ads about the vehicles and take lots of detailed clear high quality pictures. I always get comments from buyers about how much they liked the info/detail in my ad. It shows I'm not hiding anything. The whole key of it is just buying the car much under market value and then selling it at the actual market value or a bit cheaper if you'll still get good profit. When people buy stuff from me they're usually still getting good deal.

I'm not even great at detailing but I just am willing to take the time to clean shit up and take out my DSLR and take some quality pics in a good location as opposed to those blurry snapchat pictures from their driveway/in a parking lot without the car cleaned.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Mick

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
You just have to watch states like MD and I am sure others limit how many cars you can buy/sell in a year without a permit to be considered a dealer of some sort. I believe you are only allowed to buy/sell 5 cars a year in MD without that permit. Only reason I know that is because I use to have friends that bought cars at auction and would then fix the issues on them and resell them.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »
Iowa here is technically 7 a year.
I've gone over that a couple years before.

I know a couple of the DMV ladies though and they've told me they don't really watch it all unless it's stupid excessive like 20-50 vehicles being sold without a dealer license.

I've hit 9 and 10 before and nothing came of it. Just gonna keep risking it lol
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Very cool.  Sad that these were so slow with the 4.6.  I didn't really think that were THAT bad, until there was one at the track in Florida.  It was 90+ degrees and super humid, yet I was still killing a guy with a GT and I was driving the Bone Stock GTP Comp G with insane heatsoak.  I think he was a good half a second slower all night compared to my car.  I was kinda scratching my head.  This LS swap should me mucho fun!

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Very cool.  Sad that these were so slow with the 4.6.  I didn't really think that were THAT bad, until there was one at the track in Florida.  It was 90+ degrees and super humid, yet I was still killing a guy with a GT and I was driving the Bone Stock GTP Comp G with insane heatsoak.  I think he was a good half a second slower all night compared to my car.  I was kinda scratching my head.  This LS swap should me mucho fun!
Yeah, I've been daily driving it to work this week and literally getting on the on ramp I dump the clutch rolling in 1st to get it to spin so it feels fun lol. Pure ricer driving behavior. You really have to hammer down on these cars for them to be any fun.

Going with my usual self - I did list it for sale to see if I could do a quick flip lol. If not though, trans am is sold today so in a few weeks if its here I'll have parts coming! If my buddy would decide whether or not he's going to sell me his Cammed LQ9/T56 combo - that would seal the deal and I'd already have parts on the way.

I'm excited either way.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD