Author Topic: 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD  (Read 7095 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2018, 10:33:04 PM »
I know - I should have put a big NSFW warning. :lol:

They make some really nice stuff and dabbling in titanium too.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
It really is beautiful...

Unfortunately the wastegate definitely doesn't fit with the stock fan. I guess I need to pull this fan for now since it's for the AC that isn't currently working. I'll look into a slim fan later on.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »
Jesus that's one helluva turbo contraption :lol: Things have come a long ways since then I see (not knocking your set-up at all, just used to seeing compact VW designs). And, don't need no stinkin' AC mang! :lol:
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
1999 Chevy S10 - 5spd

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »
Yeah it really depends on the turbo setup. The external wastegate being on the O2 housing adds a lot to the size. However, it's also just this style of turbo since it has an O2 housing to begin with. Other style turbos like Holsets don't use an O2 housing - your exhaust attaches right to the exhaust housing on the turbo.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2018, 11:39:46 PM »
This would have been done sooner but my back issues flared up again on Thursday afternoon.

Today was pretty good and percocet is a beautiful thing so I got back into the garage. This setup is so much cleaner.

I still need to install the intake piping and fill it with coolant but that's all that remains.

Dominic Terreto

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »
Looking good.

MadFairlane

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
I just wanna see it run haha...

and race it... if you are between LA and Seattle lol
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
It runs!

I put coolant in this weekend and got it fired up. It still needed a little throttle for about 10 seconds to stay running until it caught but I'll chalk that up to a bypassed FIAV and 40-45* temps.

I took it out for a spin and to get some gas since my gauge was reading low. I figured I would get about 6 gallons but it stopped at 5.7... strange. On the way back to my house I started smelling fuel. Nothing on any fittings/hoses in the engine bay so I removed the pump cover. Soaked!

I guess I didn't get the fuel sender locking ring on quite right and the bulkhead was a little loose. I pulled out the sender... full tank! I guess the float was reading wrong.

I tightened the bulkhead and got the sender installed again (correctly this time). No more fuel smell and my gauge reads full - two birds with one stone.

One more strange thing: my wideband is reading correctly on the gauge but it's way off in ECMLink (reading like 9-10 AFR). I don't know if it's something weird due to running it as the rear O2 input (I did unplug what I believe is the rear O2 under the driver's seat) or maybe I need to adjust something in ECMLink.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »
Wow - I haven't updated in a while. The car has been running well and I'm in the process of having it tuned remotely but I ran out of injector (90%+ IDC at 15 psi by 6000 RPM).

I rigged up a quick cleaning setup with a battery and carb cleaner to clean these FIC 850s. I back flowed them first before running it through the nozzle. I know it's not the ideal cleaning method but it has to be better than nothing.

And of course the car stranded me a month ago. I was driving to a friend's house on a beautiful 70* Friday evening when my CEL came on for temp (225+). I watched the temp gauge and it went up... and up... and up. As soon as I pulled over I could smell coolant: one of the coolant hoses on the turbo split in half. I had my buddy come get me, ran to Autozone for a hose + coolant, and got it swapped on the side of the road. I didn't have any issues on the way home.

And my wideband started showing E8 that same night before I even left the garage. It would register correctly at idle but once I give it throttle it showed E8 and then it was stuck that way until I restart the car. Eventually it stopped displaying anything but E8. I replaced the wideband sensor and it's fixed - I don't understand how a sensor with 10 hours on it can completely fail like that. I did the ol' return swap from Amazon. I don't feel great about it but I buy a lot of stuff from them so it helps me sleep at night.

I drove the car last week and it threw a CEL but drove perfectly fine. I checked it when I got home and it's a 0505 error (Idle control system malfunction) so I ordered a new (used) black ISC motor. The ISC was definitely the fix. I installed the new one, fired it up, and the idle immediately caught. No holding the throttle for a bit.

I also hand washed the car which is essentially unheard of for me. I washed it, took a clay bar to it, and washed again. After letting it dry for a while I wiped it down with some old quick detailer I had lying around. I also ordered some hydrophobic sealer which will be here Friday. I'm interested to see what that can do.

The hood is in pretty rough shape - lots of deep scratches, the spot where the strut tower snapped and the strut punched into the hood, a couple dings, maybe some black overspray that won't come off. I'm still planning to figure out how to paint with a HVLP gun once I re-fix my 2gb Talon bumper. The bumper, spare passenger fender, and hood need to be painted.

I also did some painting. It's not my strong point so the end result isn't fantastic but it's better than it was. The side view mirrors and door trim were in pretty rough shape. I didn't take a before picture so an older picture will have to suffice.

Top is before, bottom is after.

Dominic Terreto

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »
Looks good, paint the wiper arms while you're at it.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »
Looks good, paint the wiper arms while you're at it.

Yeah they need to be added to the list. The spoiler paint is in pretty rough shape so that's actually higher priority.