Author Topic: Need input from you f'ers.  (Read 2018 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Need input from you f'ers.
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »
Ok.  So time to try to get back on track here.  I'm going to cut a couple forums.  Those being:

Off the Beaten Path, Stockers, the Real Fast and Furious, Debacle, Flame, and Daemon.

I'll move the posts into The Lounge and let it go from there.  When/If we start seeing more traffic and we have a need for those forums again, we'll revisit that at that point.

In addition, I'd like to set the front page up a bit differently.  Right now it just points to the AR forum.  I'd like to maybe put an article up there, or link to an article, etc.  Or the admins could always pick a member's ride if they are interested.

What I need from you guys is some feed back on what I'm cutting and the idea for the front page...or any other suggestions you have that could improve the site.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:01:11 AM by Onyx Dragon »

Gremlin

Re: Need input from you f'ers.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
I would dump the whole anti-rice theme all together. Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements on cars went a long time ago. I would suggest an all out free speech forum PROMOTING the American lifestyle.

Sub forums could included, but not limited too.

The is not a fake news forum. If you want a Liberal bias forum go back the Huffington Post forum

We like bacon and the Second Amendment. This should get FOMOGO back posting almost instantly

There be a sub forum with a pro Jeep theme and another sub forum for tuning cars to go faster, etc, etc..

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
I think there's some significant AR history in Debacle and Flame that should probably be archived, but otherwise I agree.

I'd get rid of:
Post Your (might as well direct that traffic to the lounge)
Brothel (maybe make it a sub to the Lounge that's invisible to newcomers)
Security and Firearms
Off the Beaten Path, Stockers, Debacle, Flame and Daemon just as you said.

Security and Firearms topics can be in the Lounge, IMO.

I'd get rid of the subforums of Auto Tech, too. Breaks it up too much.

I'd make a Category for Media Center, and in it include Video Games, Movies and TV, and Music, and the Review subs.

And yeah the theme of AR does need updating. We need to redefine what we consider to be rice, since the park bench spoilers and garden trim ground effects fad has died... and maybe approach Rice as a mentality instead of a style.

Idiot Mustang drivers wiping out leaving Cars and Coffee, middle-aged douchebags who show up to car shows in off-the-lot Corvettes, fake patina'ed classics (or even modern cars), ugly wraps, etc.

Rice: People who think they're a badass because of their car, regardless of the type of car. That might bring some life back here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:18:12 PM by 00XJ »

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »
And yeah the theme of AR does need updating. We need to redefine what we consider to be rice, since the park bench spoilers and garden trim ground effects fad has died... and maybe approach Rice as a mentality instead of a style.

WTF, I need to move to where you two live.  That shit is still alive and well around here.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
WTF, I need to move to where you two live.  That shit is still alive and well around here.

Wow really? I very rarely see ricers on the level of what was common in the early 2000's. Everyone once in a while I'll see a good old classic case, but more often than not, it's shitty Plasti-Dip jobs and shit like that. Even fart cannons are out of style, now the high school kids just cut off their mufflers.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
I put some more thought into it. If I had my way, here's how the Forum navigation would appear;

Community (or some other name than "Anti-Rice: The Cereal")
-The Lounge
   -Member Memorial (Private and hidden)
   -VIP Lounge (Private and hidden, formerly "Up Close and Personal")
   -The Brothel (Private and hidden, allow "Free For All" rules)
-Membermobiles
-Post Your... (Art Appreciation and Gearhead Gourmet can be encompassed here as a stickied threads)
-Events
-Swap Meet

Automotive
-Wall of Shame (Pics/videos of ricers or other shameful displays of automotive inhumanity pulled anywhere from the internet)
-Hoonage (Pics/videos of badassery behind the wheel pulled anywhere from the internet)
-Spy Photos (can be rice, can be cool cars, can be whatever, as long as it was taken by the user posting it)
-Tech Talk (automotive tech)
-Racing Chat (Kill Stories, other general racing discussion)

Media Center
-Video Games
-Movies, TV and Music
-Review Board
-Tech Talk (Computer Tech)
-Video Dump (the place to share videos without the need for elaboration, but on-topic videos can still be posted on other boards)

Site Info
-Suggestions
-Troubleshooting (come here if having technical issues with the board)

This would return most tangential discussion back to a larger pool, and should help "defrag" the board as a whole, so to speak. If it ever becomes a problem again where certain topics are monopolizing specific boards, we can always add an additional topic-specific child board for it.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »
The main places I post or lurk is the Lounge and Membermobiles.  It would still be fun to have a section poking fun at bad cars.  I don't see much rice (it's there) but I do see many of its evolved forms like the stance idiots.  I'm not out much like I used to so it's hard for me to catch it but having a spot to post would get me out with my camera more often.  On the flip side, it would also be nice to have a gallery of good and cool cars and trucks.  Maybe we could have a "judge it" section like the old days of Hot or Not.  That would of course require traffic but could also bring some. 

Another direction would just to have one media forum where we can make fun of what sucks, applaud what is great, post videos of massive burnouts (and videos of massive burnouts ending in a crash).  Maybe keeping the forums concentrated will allow everyone to see everything in one place with just a few clicks.  I don't spend the hours on forums that I used to so I don't find myself digging into all the sections.  Case in point, every forum's biggest section is the Lounge.  Maybe we should just have a chat lounge and a media lounge.  When we get more traffic, add a section.

Your call.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »
If you get rid of the brothel a lot of Cody's posts go with it. I'd suggest archiving it.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
If you get rid of the brothel a lot of Cody's posts go with it. I'd suggest archiving it.

That reason is probably why I won't get rid of it...same with Flame.  Didn't think of that until yesterday.

Daemon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »
HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST DELETING MY FORUM!

Oh, hai guis

Daemon

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 09:16:51 AM »
I should have made a better reply.

First, I'd lose the whole AR thing completely. It's a non factor any more outside of very specific areas, and even in those areas it's nothing like what it was.

Checking Google trends for search data over the past 14 years shows any term you can think of that was paramount to being dubbed rice has taken a drastic fall since about since before 2004 and leveled out around 2007-2008 at much lower numbers.

I'd archive this entire forum and just keep the AR domain pointed at it.

For taking the site forward, I'd try to find a common interest shared by all remaining users and dedicate the site for that. Allow users to write up about what it is you decide the site is about.

Possibly even using a social media software like Dolphin to help create a whole new identity.

Consider using it as a blog with ad sense and affiliate programs. That could lead to being able to pay users for their submissions and give them more incentive to actually contribute to the site itself.

It could also be that this site is done for. Nearly all of us have moved on to other things, and the newer generation doesn't really get into the whole forum concept outside of niche communities like gaming.

I'm not going to try and give you specific ideas, because it's been so long since I have been involved. I'm sure many of you have changed just as much or more than I have. No way I could accurately tell you what you would be interested in.

One thing I will say, is make sure the admins actually have the time resources, ability, and drive to help you. If the staff isn't passionate about the site, it will always nose dive. One person can't possibly do it all.

Subject enthusiast websites need new content 3+ times per week, be it politics, religion, sports, cars, etc. You need people to do more than look around once and forget you.

If you keep the AR idea, get rid of my terrible logo, and consider getting some professional design help.

Ultimately, I'd look to see what the competition in whatever direction you take is doing.

Anyways, that's my .02 for whatever it's worth.

TL;DR Tear it down and build something new that reflects the existing userbase.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
So the common theme is getting rid of the anti-rice theme.  I'd be OK with that.  Is there any suggestions as to what we would like to go with?  There are several interest for me, such as road trips, travels, etc.  What other suggestions do you guys have?

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
I don't know about dropping the anti-rice theme altogether. Although you don't typically see F&F wannabes as much anymore, there are still PLENTY of idiots out there who deserve to be ridiculed.

Snopes was once solely focused on urban legends - now they tackle "fake news". Granted, their name doesn't imply anything at all regarding the content of their site, but my point is that they simply shifted their attention as the times changed and urban legend chain emails died out, without totally abandoning the basic idea of the site - and I see no reason why we can't do that also. Not saying we need to keep the anti-rice name but I think there's definitely still an audience for the type of stuff we used to feature on the site.

There are still plenty of stanced euro cars, bro dozers, idiots who can't handle their brand new Mustangs, and just bad drivers in general. Dash cam YouTube channels have become immensely popular - but aside from compilations of Mustangs leaving Cars for Coffee and running people over, I don't see too much SPECIFIC focus on people fucking up while trying to show off in a car they can't handle - most dash cam channels, and even subs on Reddit are open to pretty much anything from being cut off in traffic by a Prius to a drunk driver tumbling through an intersection. Maybe Anti-Rice, or whatever the name becomes, can be the source for ridiculing idiots with cars they can't handle, alongside poking fun at people who modify their vehicles in tasteless or ridiculous ways - Rice or not. All of that is related very much to the spirit of A-R, which has always been to call out people who use their cars to get attention but have no real knowledge or skill. Poseurs.

That being said... it's not like changing the theme of the site is going to drive away traffic. Those of us who are still here are probably going to be here regardless of what happens. So whatever is decided, I'm on board. I would consider taking ALL of old A-R (or at least the notable content) and locking it behind a special section for long time members, so we can still have our old A-R without exposing it to the people we want to bring to the site. I dunno.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:47:29 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I think this is all a lot of work for likely no return.

My suggestion: As much as Facebook is a pain in the ass, convert the current Anti-Rice page (or make a new one?) to a group. It doesn't even need to be called Anti-Rice but a group would be a better choice overall. It gives people the ability to post car memes, videos, updates on their own projects, ask for repair help, whatever. We could have it completely open (probably a good choice) or require people to request to join (like this forum). Keep a couple of us as admins to combat spam accounts.

I belong to a handful of car-related Facebook groups and it really is convenient. It's a shit system for archiving info (difficult to find it later) but it works great for general communication.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »
I think this is all a lot of work for likely no return.

My suggestion: As much as Facebook is a pain in the ass, convert the current Anti-Rice page (or make a new one?) to a group. It doesn't even need to be called Anti-Rice but a group would be a better choice overall. It gives people the ability to post car memes, videos, updates on their own projects, ask for repair help, whatever. We could have it completely open (probably a good choice) or require people to request to join (like this forum). Keep a couple of us as admins to combat spam accounts.

I belong to a handful of car-related Facebook groups and it really is convenient. It's a shit system for archiving info (difficult to find it later) but it works great for general communication.

We have a car page that is open. :)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
Where? The only one I'm aware of is the main Anti-Rice.com "community" (I don't really know what that means) where I'm an admin and only the page owner (Anti-Rice.com) can submit posts.

I'm talking about a group where any member can share stuff or submit posts.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
Where? The only one I'm aware of is the main Anti-Rice.com "community" (I don't really know what that means) where I'm an admin and only the page owner (Anti-Rice.com) can submit posts.

I'm talking about a group where any member can share stuff or submit posts.

We have that.

https://www.facebook.com/antiricedotcom/

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »
No, that's exactly what I was talking about. That's our page that can be liked/followed but all posts are done as Anti-Rice.com. Other people can't post in the AR Facebook page.

What I'm talking about is a group like DSM Nation. People can post questions, start conversations, share images/videos, sell items, etc. It's similar to a forum but it's integrated into Facebook's system.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »
No, that's exactly what I was talking about. That's our page that can be liked/followed but all posts are done as Anti-Rice.com. Other people can't post in the AR Facebook page.

What I'm talking about is a group like DSM Nation. People can post questions, start conversations, share images/videos, sell items, etc. It's similar to a forum but it's integrated into Facebook's system.

You can post in there.  If you click on community, you'll see several posts by people.

And I can't see the DSM one, I have to join and answer questions to do it.  I sent a request though, so I can see what you're talking about.  It may  just be a layout difference between AR's page and DSM's page.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:55:38 AM by Onyx Dragon »

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:58 AM »
BTW, I'll be running a small page promotion for us too.  On FB that is.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 10:49:05 AM »
You can post in there.  If you click on community, you'll see several posts by people.

And I can't see the DSM one, I have to join and answer questions to do it.  I sent a request though, so I can see what you're talking about.  It may  just be a layout difference between AR's page and DSM's page.

Huh... I guess I didn't think it was possible since the last one is from December 2016. I also can't figure out how to post to the page since I'm a page admin - it's forcing me to post as Anti-Rice.com.

There definitely is a difference with the DSM ones though. The one I linked is a "group", not a "community" like our page. I don't actually know the difference though. I just know that groups function more like a forum.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »
Huh... I guess I didn't think it was possible since the last one is from December 2016. I also can't figure out how to post to the page since I'm a page admin - it's forcing me to post as Anti-Rice.com.

There definitely is a difference with the DSM ones though. The one I linked is a "group", not a "community" like our page. I don't actually know the difference though. I just know that groups function more like a forum.

When posting, if you look in the upper right corner of the posting area you'll see a down arrow.  Click that and you should be able to change who you are posting as.

One of the differences is that I can promote or advertise the page/community.  Groups can't.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:56:30 AM by Onyx Dragon »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
I know about the option to switch "posting as" on the website but I don't see a way to do it through the app which is typically how I use Facebook.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »
I know about the option to switch "posting as" on the website but I don't see a way to do it through the app which is typically how I use Facebook.

On top, I think you tap on the name posting.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 02:57:22 AM »
How sad is it that after who knows how long I only now found the AR FB page.  Perhaps it's time we assimilate?  I never liked FB but I do check it now like I used to check forums 10-15 years ago.

I'd guess it would just be good to have something that is easy to use.  FB is it because the internet isn't quite as cool as it used to be so I don't spend hours on it every week.  It would be fun to keep AR a thing because everyone who is left grew up with it so the site should evolve with us regardless of the platform.  Plus it's easy to post to.  A couple other forums I used to frequent are now FB groups and I post semi-regularly so maybe that's the way to go.

I'm cool with anything.  Whatever it takes to keep the humor and community going.
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?