Author Topic: 1993 Toyota FZJ80  (Read 1108 times)

AirForceOne

1993 Toyota FZJ80
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »
Got this on the cheap, for a partially built 80 series at least.  No lockers, 173xxx miles, bedliner on the floorboards.  A little bit of sunburn, but mechanically solid.  Perfect to abuse some trails!  It's currently running the ARB winch bumper, OME suspension, 35" BFG ATs, and some kind of roof rack or basket.  Previous owner ran a roof top tent setup, I intend to build a small single axle (or Timken axle-less) trailer to use as tent carrier/mobile base camp.  I intend to build it rather small and lightweight. Kenwood something or other double din, seller said he invested about $1500 into the stereo last year.

Factory 4.5L, auto trans, full time 4WD.  I'm planning a massive road trip with this thing, so I'm likely going to fit lockers and a part time kit before hitting the road.  Pics:

The pics are shit because I had to have a friend take them, and she sucks at taking pictures lol.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: 1993 Toyota FZJ80
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »
I love it!

Make sure the head gasket is 100% and replace to coolant hoses. That's all I know about the 80.

Don't waste any cash on the part time kit. I looked into to for the 100 and it doesn't net you any gain. Plus the hubs are weak.

Does it get 11mpg?

Please share your timbren trailer build.

AirForceOne

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I have not actually driven it yet.  According to ih8mud, the part time kit is worth 2-3 mpg.  The main reason for the kit, I intend to lack the front end with a lunch box style locker.  I want to be able to free wheel the hubs for street driving for obvious reasons.  The seller is a cop in NJ, he said he had his mechanic inspect it before sending it off.  The only know issues he pointed out was an AC system that freezes with prolonged use, and some of the window trim/felt needs replacing. 

Oh yeah, also going to add rock sliders. 

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
The part time kit does make sense with a lunchbox locker up front. Slee talked me out of it.

Whose sliders are you looking at? Trail Taylor caught my eye.

I really dig that 80. Call me jealous!

AirForceOne

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
I'm looking at everything out there as far as sliders go.  The Trail Tailor ones look good, but it says 95-97 only for some reason.  I'll have to get in touch with them.