Author Topic: 2005 Chevy Cobalt Beater  (Read 1050 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
2005 Chevy Cobalt Beater
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
So all along last year I bought my ZX9R with the intention of a cheap nice fun bike for the rest of summer then to flip it this year close to riding season. Bought it for $1800, put about $300-400 into it getting it all caught up on maintenance and also some subtle mods. Threw it up for sale for $3300obo. Guy messages me about it then in one of my sale ad pictures he saw my shitty ass beater talon (my auto/fwd non turbo rusty paint faded talon with only 87k on it). I literally told him while it was mechanically sound it's a shitbox. Interior is ripped up, no headliner, stained from lots of parts being transported in it, blah blah. He didn't care.

We did a deal for $4000 for my beater talon and my zx9r, or $1000 for the beater and $3000 for the bike. he came Friday got the car, saturday morning and gave me $3000 for the bike.

I didn't really plan on selling the beater and was actually kind of sad to let it go. I had it mechanically sound and it ran and drove good. I drive an hour every day commuting for work and my truck and T/A both bankrupt me on gas when I commute with them for long - so I needed to find something quick.

I had a few picks, this was my first one though. Always have liked the cobalts, almost bought one new (thank god I didn't) in 2008 when I was 18.

Was asking for $2500 for it, I took it away for $1700. Pretty happy with it. 05, clean title, 113k. AC/Heat both work great. Besides that it's completely base model. manual windows & locks. No cruise.

Replacing the beater role perfectly. He was a farmer that used it for errands and crap so inside is a bit stained up which won't make me feel bad throwing parts around in it as well. Body is actually pretty decent on it.

has a really 16a shift knob that is jb-welded on. I ordered a very generic offbrand shift knob off amazon for $4. I'm just going to use my cutoff wheel on the current shift knob and then just re-jb-weld the new knob on. Being a beater I really don't care.

Otherwise no plans for it except maybe remove the hitch lol. Considering an aftermarket cruise control but meh. I might even flip it after a couple months. My goal is to keep trying to do some more flipping this year and make enough $ on the side to pay down my student loans the rest of the way and finish off the small loan I have left on the trans am then I'll be debt free besides my house and at that point I'd like to get another Caliber SRT-4 for a daily.

anyway - no rust or anything. all around a decent car.

anyway, here's this turd:

16a shifter

ignore the mess, first night of owning it had to use it for its intended purpose and get groceries
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: 2005 Chevy Cobalt Beater
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »
Dang. Nice find for under $2k.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
Re: 2005 Chevy Cobalt Beater
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
Dang. Nice find for under $2k.
Thanks, so far I'm liking it. Feels so much nicer than the old beater talon. Even though it's still a 12 year old shitty basemodel econobox - it still makes me feel a lot less like a dirtball getting in and out of than the old sun damaged/rusty/clear peeling/dented/etc talon. People at my work always gave me crap about that old thing since we're all fairly well paid cubicle warriors - and I look pretty interesting coming in every day well dressed getting out of that thing or even my truck which isn't bad but still looks like a beater lol.

Put in a sweet $4 shift knob off amazon. I absolutely trashed the interior of the car further with shavings from my 4" cutoff wheel getting the old knob off. PO did a number on the shifter itself, no way to properly put on a new one without getting a new shifter so I just repeated the hackjob and jb welded this new knob on. I mean - I really won't ever have a reason to take it off haha.

74 degrees out today even got to use the ice cold a/c which is a big change for me. Last summer sucked dealing with the 100+ degree days with no a/c in the talon. My truck and T/A have a/c but would kill me on gas driving to work every day an hour.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:22:13 PM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD