Author Topic: 1996 Sylvan V196  (Read 1387 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
1996 Sylvan V196
« on: November 16, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »
Lol it isn't a car but whatever maybe there's some boat people on here.

I might need some advice here and there on this thing because I literally know nothing about boats.
I've always enjoyed the river but never had the change, space for storage, or anything to tow a boat with.
After going on a friends new boat this year a couple times I decided I wanted one. Ideally a decent bowrider if I'm classifying it right, basically a nice open bow with enough room for a few people to take on the river.
But I figured because I didn't want to spend big money on a boat since it'd be my first one and a second hobby to cars/bikes that I'd find a $1000-1500 jon boat over the winter that was in decent shape. Any boat like I really wanted is 5000-8000, way more than I want to drop initially on something I can only use mostly on weekends 3-4 months out of the year.

Anyway buddy pointed me to this boat in the summer and I was thinking I was going to buy it for 3500. Then I broke my foot and forgot about it for the most part. Now a few months later buddy points me to it again saying the guy finally put a for sale sign on it for $2500. Before he was never advertising it just telling friends he was selling it. So I went and we haggled a bit - ultimately I think the idea of me hooking up to it right that moment and pulling it out of the ruts in his yard won him over. It sat long enough it was sank a few inches down lol.

I ended up paying $2,000 for it without hearing it run or anything due to a dead battery or even knowing if it floats. Guy just told me it was mechanically sound when he took it out in August 2015 which was last time it was on water. My friend said he's a good guy so I trusted him. Figured either way at $2,000 even if it needed a motor I wasn't getting hurt since it books for like $5,000 in fair condition.

So, $2,000, and then $20 in gas and a couple hours on my battery charger and my buddy and me took it in the rough water on the 50 degree day last Sunday. To my surprise it exceeded expectations. Fired right up and we immediately started cruising up and down the river at a good 50mph, pretty scooting for a boat like this on our river. It has a few electronic issues - trailer trim button doesn't work so we had to jump it when getting it back onto the trailer. Then pretty much all of the gauges either aren't working or are possessed and freak out. That's pretty much it. Stereo is good ;)
We spent a good hour on the water just beating it up and down the river making sure she was healthy.
Trailer is in nice shape with new tires and some fancy wheels.

The main downside to the boat is the interior. 80% needs cleaning, 20% needs replaced. It sat covered a couple winters back and a tree branch fell through the cover unknown the owner so it sat for months with snow and other crap getting into the rip through the cover and the branch it self had fallen right onto the back bench seat. So that seat is fairly well ruined. The engine cover just has one large rip but otherwise is in good shape. So I'm going to see if I can source a new bench seat.

Going to crawl into it and just do a lot of TLC cleaning to the interior. Then I want to winterize it properly and do some general maintenance on the motor though it runs good it has been untouched for about a year.

As for the motor it is the 5.7 mercruiser - so it's just a good old chevy 350. Not sure if its the 266hp or 300hp version. Either way I'm very happy with it for my first boat.

I've never worked on boats and I don't know what half of the boating terms are. I didn't even really know what trim or bilge meant until the weekend lol. Luckily mine is mechanically pretty solid currently. Can't wait to put a little work into this thing and get it out next year. I'll update with progress over the winter.

My big issue is I'm not sure where to go for a lot of stuff like interior parts for this thing. Sylvans are still popular boats but they really didn't make many of these style boats and they don't make parts for them anymore. So going to try to get custom fabbed stuff or try to find partouts.

All in all, in the last 2 weeks I picked up the boat and the truck and have about $3100-3200 between the two. Definitely feeling pretty good about it.

Can't believe I'm already feeling like I'm running out of space at my house now though haha. 4 cars counting my gf's car. My 2 bikes. Now the boat.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: 1996 Sylvan V196
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
The Mercruiser is a fantastic boat motor. You may want to replace the water pump impeller. That has been the only source of problems on my folks 87 Malibu with the 5.7 Mercruiser they have owned since 91.

Nice find. Sounds like you got a good deal!

B.O.A.T. = Bust Out Another Thousand

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
Re: 1996 Sylvan V196
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »
So finally started working with this thing about a month ago.
Bunch of the carpet was light to dark green with mold. I scrubbed and scrubbed and got hardly anything out of it. Then after reading a couple posts I felt dumb - I grabbed my harbor freight power washer and it just blasted the mold right out.

Did a lot of various cleaning around the boat. Vacuuming/shampooing/hand cleaning stuff. Middle seats still have good amount of mildew and rear seat too but the worst is out of it. About half as dark as it was. Have a buddy who is good at cleaning this stuff so going to have him look at it sometime. Then a friend of a friend's wife supposedly is good at boat interiors. Going to see if I can't pay her to recover the rear bench seat and the engine compartment cover. Only thing left after that if I chose to do it is fix trailer-trim switch and gauges but have yet to be bothered by them not working much yet.

Yesterday was the first "nice"day I've been able to go out. We went out a couple weekends ago in some pretty windy weather. Water was rough - serious white caps and current.
Yesterday was only like 72 but felt hot for a few hours with the sun and hardly even a breeze.

Took girlfriend and 3 of her sisters and my buddy. Was nicest boat has felt. Probably helps that weight was balanced well for it. The boat has a tendency to torque lean right pretty bad under throttle and keeping the girls all around the boat and my buddy(he's the big guy) on the left kept it very flat.

Anyways we had it out for a few hours and it was a blast. Yet to have a problem with it (knock on wood).
was also first time I launched it 100% myself. was out for about a half hour on my own, was nice and went well

Hard to believe but underneath all these seats it was just pure black nastiness.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:02:50 AM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD