Author Topic: 1996 Chevy K1500 4x4  (Read 2565 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
1996 Chevy K1500 4x4
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »
Actually my first truck surprisingly after 40-50 vehicles.
Unless you count my S10 i owned for about a week.

Anyways I've been wanting basically exactly this kind of truck: mechanically sound, enough muscle to pull a car/trailer/boat occasionally, extended cab with enough space in back to take a couple extra passengers. Beat up enough though I can treat it as a "work truck"

I traded the focus for it.
With buying the focus and having it aligned I had $1200 into it. So basically I see it as I paid $1200 for this truck. Not upset at all.

Even after the alignment the focus drove horrible on the highway. Every bump and it'd say left to right. Pretty sure it needed all struts/springs and most bushings all replaced. Couple that with its cracked windshield, abs/trac lights, o2 sensor, misc electrical issues with certain buttons not working and whatnot - it just needed a few more things than I wanted to mess with right now when I'm about to start my build on my T/A. especially since I already have my problem free beater n/a talon. Having the truck for a 3rd vehicle just made sense.

In the end it wont get driven much except for hauling & pulling stuff.

Only issues is tailgate handle/rods are messed up so i had to fight to get the tail gate open. I already ordered new tailgate latch rods, new handle&mechanism, clips, bezel. I'm also going to take the easy way out for the one crappy rust part on the front fender and just bondo it for now to help it look better. If I come across a cheap fender replacement I will do that. I'm not a "truck ricer" by any means but if I can find a cheap set of flares I'll throw them on to bandaid cover up the wheel well rust. It only has much on the passenger side. Driver side is just small spots of it.
Then the stereo is a flip out 7" dvd screen thing that I think is super 16a. It works when it wants to. So going to just try to source a cheap single din aftermarket one for like $20 from a buddy to replace it with .Long as it has an aux input I don't care I'm not a stereo person. Door has some typical sag, just enough that it needs a good slam to shut all the way. I ordered a new door pin kit when I ordered stuff for the tailgate.

Then it has one halogen bulb and one HID. Beyond stupid/annoying to me. So need to fix that.
Fuel gauge doesn't work. I might do that some day but its low on priority list. Not hard to keep it topped up every 100-200 miles.

I feel like I just made it sound bad but it really is a nice truck.
Runs and drives great. Suspension all in pretty decent shape. Underside actually not very rusty at all.
Engine runs fantastic and trans shifts great. 4x4 works great.
A/C is cold, heat is hot. Power windows and locks are all working great. Has cruise control. Came with a decent toolbox. Interior is actually in nice condition. Has a nice brush guard on the front. Tires are like new.

Overall it really has been taken care of mechanically. I still feel super weird in it. I've never been a truck person at all. It's nice though since I'm still in a moving process with my house I don't have to keep borrowing trucks for things.

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

MadFairlane

Re: 1996 Chevy K1500 4x4
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
I give you a week till you sell it lol
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
I can't see it unless someone walks up and offers $3000+ for it.
I won't be putting it for sale anywhere in the near future. At least not until after winter.
Thing could potentially save me this winter with my half hour commute to work if we get any particularly nasty snow.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

MadFairlane

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »
I can't see it unless someone walks up and offers $3000+ for it.
I won't be putting it for sale anywhere in the near future. At least not until after winter.
Thing could potentially save me this winter with my half hour commute to work if we get any particularly nasty snow.

Still, but with your track record of changing cars hahaha...
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »
I've actually been doing pretty good lol once I find an actual good vehicle that I want.
I'm up to 50 or so vehicles since my first in 2008. Until my 97 mazda 626 in 2013 I never owned anything more than 1-8 months.
Back then though I had a lot of free time and friends available to always spend a ton of time looking for deals/driving for things and flipping them.
Just sold my 94 TSI AWD which I owned for almost 3 years (record for me). Then my 94 talon es I've had for about a year and a half. My Drz400sm also for a year and a half. My zx9r i'm only only up to 6 months. Being that this is the exact kind of truck I've wanted for awhile I can see myself holding onto it for a bit unless something comes up I need the money. But knowing how big the truck scene/fad is here, its the exact truck all the ricer high school kids want - I could probably tell some kid 3000-3500 for this thing and they'd jump on it

Now that I have a grownup job with decent pay and all I'm less motivated lol.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
Bored at work so how about a random update?

This has been a great truck so far.
Starter went out shortly after trading for it, gave me enough warning it didn't leave me stranded anywhere. So replaced the starter in December.

Then just drove it through winter a lot. Bought my boat that it helped me out a lot with.

Anyway as I wrapped up the Trans Am's heads/cam swap - I decided to start occasionally plucking away at things on the truck. Though it ran and drove fine I knew it needed a few things.

I checked over the suspension, couple things in the front end were pretty bad and other stuff wasn't terrible but was worn.
So it got a full front end rebuild on both sides. new moog ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm & bracket, and hub/bearings.
Then couple weeks ago my buddy hooked me up on a full set of brand new all-terrains - they're cooper without cooper's name - they're pretty much a commercial brand. Buddy runs a shop and does a lot of fleet work/sales so was able to give me a deal. Sold my Interco TrXus M/T's for more than I paid for the new tires. I just didn't need the MT's for the kind of driving I do. All-terrains will handle all the offroad I'll ever throw at it and they're way better on the road with a trailer and just daily driving.

It also had the notorious door sag on the drivers door. So I replaced both door pins&bushings.

Same night I also put all new tail gate linkage rods /w new clips, new handle, bezel, and tailgate cables on.

Then I charged up the A/C ice cold again and replaced the blower resister and blower door actuator since I couldn't change where the air was coming from and only the fastest speed worked previously.

Then also replaced the 4WD switch since it was very finnicky and you had to beat on it while pressing it to get it to work. Now it works great.

It also had one HID and one halogen for lowbeams. Who knows what they were doing. I got rid of the HID and replaced it with halogens (.38c a pop from rockauto, lol we'll see how long 38cent bulbs last)

Then last week I installed a cheap set of ebay universal flares. I'm not a big fan of flares but I decided against undertaking a big rust-fixing project on it since I Have too much else going on. The flares cover the worst hole in drivers fender and the spotty rust on the passenger rear wheel well on the bed. At some point I plan to locate a driver front fender that will fix all that. I'll let the bed keep rusting - not too worried about it. It's still just to be my beater truck. I just want it to be a bit nicer looking to the naked eye. If I ever sell it I'll fully disclose everything.

Now in the last week I've started having a new issue that is confusing me a little. It might have been happening longer because it usually happens when I floor it and I have maybe floored it 10 times since owning it lol at most.

Basically, usually now if I floor it - it'll stall, go, stall, go, etc - sometimes it'll come out of it.
Then I did it from a stop and it just stalled and I had to restart the truck.

Now last couple days I think it is getting worse. Only like 15% throttle from a stop sign it started going and stalled, go, stalled, go - it was moving just quick enough it didn't stall to the point of needing restarted.

I'm trying to diagnose it. No CEL codes from it.
It has gotten nasty humid hot in the last couple weeks so I'm wondering if that is playing a part.

I was thinking either TPS, Distributor, or fuel pump. I already planned to look at the fuel pump sending unit since my fuel gauge doesn't work. It also has always seemed to have a somewhat lazy start even with new starter and battery. So I'm going to try checking fuel pressure.

Any ideas on that one from you guys who are more familiar with these trucks/motors?

Otherwise so far this truck has been one of the best vehicles I've owned - much longer and I'll probably have all of its issues tackled and can just enjoy dailying it. I'd like to DD it a lot more now because I got a new job a mile at most from my home and eliminated my 70 mile daily commute.

can't have an update without pics - thought hasn't changed besides tires and the cheapo flares

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:35:17 PM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:34 PM »
Does it have an idle air control valve?  Your symptoms are identical to what my old Grand Cherokee would do.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:15 AM »
Definitely start with fuel pressure. This is a fully fuel injected Vortec, right? Not a TBI setup? A bad sending unit is a good indicator that the pump itself is on it's way out - if the sending unit has corroded and no longer reads fuel level, the pump probably isn't in much better shape.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »
Definitely start with fuel pressure. This is a fully fuel injected Vortec, right? Not a TBI setup? A bad sending unit is a good indicator that the pump itself is on it's way out - if the sending unit has corroded and no longer reads fuel level, the pump probably isn't in much better shape.
correct, i actually had the year on this thread wrong too haha - it's a 97 - not that it matters a ton.

But yes it's the FI Vortec 5.7.
I'm hoping it's the fuel pump since I planned to dive into it at one point or another anyway. Going to try to borrow a fuel pressure tester tonight.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
little update.

Fuel pressure test results - first cold start of the day is only like 35psi with key on engine off. Too low. That's also when it'll do the slow lazy start.
After that it's fine and holds 50-60psi

Now - it has gotten so BAD driving the last two times I now can barely even make it out of my driveway. Every time it stalls it out fuel pressure drops to 40psi.

So I have high hopes it's the fuel pump. I bought one Friday night. Should be here tomorrow. Hoping it's the fix!
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 03:31:52 AM »
well this morning I put in the fuel pump.

Originally thought I was going to cut a hole in the bed. Last night decided to do it the right way. All 8 bed bolts are nasty with rust. I tried on one and it just started breaking apart from corrosion. So I gave up on that and went to bed.

This morning - I needed to go pick up the hood for my trans am 2 hours away, I had the hood off the T/A already to drive up - put the hood on, and drive back. It looked like rain though and I actually am very uncomfortable in the T/A's seats. The trip sounded a lot more appealing in the truck. So I decided to go ahead and cut a hole in the bed for an access panel. Didn't take long. not super clean because my air nibbler broke halfway through and I got mad and broke out my air cutting wheel which I didn't plan to use because of all the sparks but oh well it worked and I'm alive still.

Replaced fuel pump and shes good to go. Made the 4 hour trip picking up the hood fine!
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD