Author Topic: My Summer Car  (Read 3490 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
My Summer Car
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
What started as a joke turned out to be a surprisingly fun game in which you live in Finland in the 90's.

you drink beer, eat food, build and fix cars, and generally just exist in Finland in the 90's.

you start out with a completely disassembled car in your driveway, and you can assemble every last little piece - even the main bearing caps, and you tighten each bolt. Each piece of the engine must be assembled in order, bolts tightened. Same with the sub frame, suspension, etc. It's really kinda fun.

But you need to eat, drink, and sleep. You start out with a case of beer and a package of sausage, so you have to travel to town for groceries if you want to continue to survive.

Driving is more simulation-style, requiring you to turn on the ignition (you even have to wait for glow plug cycles!), control all the various functions of the vehicles, etc. I have died more than once on a simple trip to town by sliding off the road into a tree. And you start over from scratch when you die (optional).
Finally I decided to boat across the lake, less trees to crash into. And yes, your groceries are a physics object which you can lose if you're not careful.

There's a Sewage pumper truck you can operate to earn cash. There's a tractor with forks on the front, too... which I utilized as a make-shift hoist.

it was really unstable so I had to lift it from one end at a time.

Then i found the floor jack. You have to click for each pump. It works just like a real floor jack.

The game lacks polish, but it's otherwise really impressive. The amount of detail is staggering. This is one of those games where you think "I wonder if I can...", and you PROBABLY can.

One of the best things I've seen yet was a guy loaded all his car parts into his van, drove it to the Car Shop in town and dropped it all off, then went back and picked up the car with the tractor and carried it all the way to the shop, just so he could use the hoist to build the car and be within walking distance of the grocery store/pub.

And yes, you can urinate any time, anywhere. Even into your radiator if you overheat and lose coolant.

It's $13 on Steam right now, check it out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:21:50 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: My Summer Car
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
Goddamnit, Nick. I really don't need more games to play!

Purchased...

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »
Goddamnit, Nick. I really don't need more games to play!

Purchased...

Exactly my thoughts. lol. I'm still scratching the surface of FM6 and Horizon 3 lol

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 10:41:25 AM »
LOL yeah prepare to get sucked in... it's hard to explain why this game is so addicting.

Some tips:
-Hold SHIFT to run.

-Very first thing you should do is go grocery shopping and get fuel. Take the van. There's a Gas can in your garage, put it in the van. Drive toward the barn near your house, there's a Diesel can in one of the stalls. Take that with you as well. Then drive toward the water directly from the front of your house, turn left when you reach the water and drive along the coast all the way to the next dock you find (on the other side of the lake). This is MUCH easier than trying to find what roads to take. It's a long drive, but it's shorter than taking the highway. Just be careful not to hit trees to drive into the lake. Buy all the food, milk, and beer you can, stuff it all in the back of the van. Buy enough oil, coolant, brake fluid and the Fan Belt for your car, too. Back the van right up to the door. Make sure you fuel up the van and both fuel cans before leaving. Roll your mouse wheel to remove the gas cap on the van.

-Tighten or loosen bolts by rolling your mouse wheel forward or backward

-The Pumper truck has air brakes, throttle it up to build air pressure before moving

-Press R to change gear range in the tractor and pumper truck between Low and High

-Start assembling the suspension on the car first so you can put wheels on it, makes it much easier to work on the car if you can push it around.

-The shower doesn't work yet, so use the Sauna to get clean. Go into the sauna, there's a bucket. Take the bucket back out into the shower room, one of the shower valves can be turned on to fill the bucket. Take the bucket back into the sauna. On the bottom of the stove, there's two dials, turn them both all the way (roll mouse wheel forward). Make sure the sauna door and the shower door are BOTH closed. There's a scoop in the sauna (was next to the bucket), pick it up, then press F to equip it like a weapon. Left click the bucket to scoop water, then right click on the stove to create steam. Look on the wall for a temperature gauge, obviously the hotter it gets the better. Sit on the bench to slowly become less dirty.

-You can drink water from the shower faucet to decrease Thirst without getting drunk like with Beer, just turn it on and crouch under it.

-Urinate by pressing "P" (obviously). When the stream slows down, tap P a few times to speed it up.

-Always take food and beer with you on a drive, never know when you might be out longer than intended and you'll need to eat or drink.

-Avoid the DUI checkpoint if you've had anything to drink.

-If you have Permadeath turned off and you die, you respawn in the town. Go to the pub and drink yourself to blackout and you'll respawn at home. Alternatively, there's a Muscle Car hidden behind the car repair shop.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:11:49 PM by 00XJ »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
There is an achievement for peeing into your own mouth, which I discovered by accident while trying to piss on the sauna stove.

Dominic Terreto

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
bahaha

speedy_2

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »
I didn't order this.  Just don't have time.  But read more about it.  And plus what you've put here.  This is just crazy. :lol:  I will have to check this thread often.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
More adventures.

Got tired of the phone ringing non-stop... found out you can jsut unplug it from the wall!

Accidentally dropped my flashlight into the toilet, which is also the "Save and Quit" totem, so now I'm unable to retrieve it because when I try to click on the flashlight to pick it up, the game just saves and quits.

I drove the van to the other side of the map to "borrow" the muscle car that's parked at the mechanic shop, and drove the muscle car back home. It's a long way away, too far to walk. I still needed to get the van back. I tried boating across the lake but the nearest shore point is still too far. So I drove the pumper truck out there and hooked up a tow rope.

Uh oh...

Well the van is a little worse for wear (dragged it on its side for about 2km), but we made it. Still runs! Thankfully the damage resets when you reload the game.

Engine assembled, going in (and yes you have to click the lever for each pump to raise the engine hoist, AND you have to screw in the bolts that connect the lifter bracker to the engine)

Trying to line up the engine mounts is a bitch, but I eventually got it.

Pushed the car into the shop to connect everything on the underside.

Ran out of brake fluid while filling the brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder, so I had to make another trip to the store. Not a bad little grocery getter! Too bad I got a speeding ticket on the way home.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »
Just lost all my progress because I went to empty someone's septic tank and fell into the hole and died.

Gremlin

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
Just lost all my progress because I went to empty someone's septic tank and fell into the hole and died.

Talk about a "crappy" way to die.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »
I did play this for an hour or so a couple nights ago. Unfortunately I've been too busy to get back to it.

The controls are a little wonky - it takes some getting used to.

Figuring out which wrench to use is odd. Some of the logic doesn't make sense like 7mm head bolts. I wish it were easier to eyeball a bolt or nut to figure out which wrench it is but I don't think there's any consistency there.

I wish there was a little more direction and assistance. The map seems to be completely useless. I went and drove around for a while on the roads looking for an auto parts shop. I found the garage with the muscle car outside but the guy wouldn't let me in. I don't even know if you can buy parts there. (Next time I'll follow the instructions you gave for getting to the town).

I'm really looking forward to digging in again. I got a good chunk of the motor put together in the first day but now I don't have any food.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
This simulator seems right up my alley. It's a shame my PC is to out of date to run it. Please keep sharing your experiences with it!

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
I did play this for an hour or so a couple nights ago. Unfortunately I've been too busy to get back to it.

The controls are a little wonky - it takes some getting used to.

Figuring out which wrench to use is odd. Some of the logic doesn't make sense like 7mm head bolts. I wish it were easier to eyeball a bolt or nut to figure out which wrench it is but I don't think there's any consistency there.

I wish there was a little more direction and assistance. The map seems to be completely useless. I went and drove around for a while on the roads looking for an auto parts shop. I found the garage with the muscle car outside but the guy wouldn't let me in. I don't even know if you can buy parts there. (Next time I'll follow the instructions you gave for getting to the town).

I'm really looking forward to digging in again. I got a good chunk of the motor put together in the first day but now I don't have any food.

In your bedroom, there's a brochure on your desk for aftermarket parts. You have to select the parts you want, fill out the order form, and literally take the envelope to the post box attached to the store in town and wait a few days for your parts to arrive, then you have to go back and pick up the boxes, bring them home, and unpack them. It's kind of an ordeal, lol. But parts are expensive, you'll need to do jobs before you can afford them. You'll only need the fan belt and fluids from the store in town before you can get your car running.

I've come up with better directions.

If you're standing in your garage and looking out, straight ahead there's a lake, and a dock with a boat.

Forget the boat. Get in the van, drive toward the dock and when you reach the shore, turn right. Follow the coast all the way until you spot a large open area with a red barn and a white house at the very far end. Drive toward them, and turn left when you reach the road. That's the short cut to the auto shop, and no you can't buy parts there, you can only pay him to do work for you.

Back in your garage, grab the green gas can and put it in your van. Looking out toward the lake.. get in the van and drive the opposite direction back past the garage, toward the long red barn, until you reach the water. Turn left when you reach the shore and stay along the shore, driving until you find another dock on the other side of the lake. When you find the dock, turn left up the dirt path and drive into town. There's a gas station which doubles as a food store. Fill your gas can first, then put some fuel in your van. Go into the store, buy all the sausage, mac n cheese, pizza, and mosquito repellent. Don't buy anything else, not even beer (unless you want the beer). Then buy 1 container of coolant, 1 container of motor oil, 3 or 4 things of brake fluid, and the fan belt. Click on the cash register to cash out, then load your stuff into the van and go back the way you came.

Safest, fastest route.

Also, this guide tells you how many bolts per part, and what size wrench to use on them.
http://my-summer-car.wikia.com/wiki/MY_SUMMER_CAR_GUIDE_2:_ELECTRIC_BOOGALOO

Very useful.

Best advice I can give you is MAKE SURE you have EVERY nut and bolt tightened down. You will almost definitely miss something on the brake or clutch fluid lines, so follow this guide and make sure you're counting. It's kinda cool though, if you miss a clutch line fitting, you'll get one use out of the clutch before the fluid drains out.

More pics:

First time getting the car running and driving, drove it all the way to the shop just to learn I didn't have enough money to have it tuned (you can tune it yourself, but I'd rather just have the game do it for me to make sure it's right).

My ill-fated shit-sucking job...

Snapped a screen shot right as I fell in

Next save, got the car assembled and tried to tow it to the gas station with the tractor. It smashed into pretty much everything on the way... and then I lost it in the lake.

New save, delivering a load of firewood and my game breaks.

Ok, let's start over AGAIN. This time, made a bee-line straight to the store, stocked up on supplies, rushed back and got cracking on the car, ran out of daylight so I had to improvise:

I have it all assembled, running, driving, but missed a brake line fitting so I need to make another trip to town for more brake fluid.

And I finally have permadeath turned off.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:27:29 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 06:06:04 PM »
I assumed the auto parts store is where you got the brake fluid and belt. That's really what my goal was. I didn't see a gas station during my drive.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
If you go straight out from your garage until you reach the water, across the lake you see a tall antenna. Let's call that true north. If the antenna is north, then the gas station/store/pub are to the west, and the auto shop you found is to the east.

Also FYI: don't answer the phone during a thunder storm.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
jesus this game is frustrating at first
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
Fuck you, Nick!  Like finding Tie Fighter, X-Wing fighter, and pretty much all the old Star Wars games on Steam wasn't enough, you bastard!

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
Lol Isn't this Finn simulator?

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.