Author Topic: 1999 Trans Am  (Read 8603 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
Re: 1999 Trans Am
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
Awesome so far.  Man! I want an LS1 car again.  Also, is it the wheel/tire combo that's making it look almost lifted?

Yeah it definitely sits higher. I would of lowered it but I think I got a shitty TSP y-pipe.
Thing is WAY too low to the ground even at this height. They said they'd work with me on it but honestly I'd just take a credit towards a cam or something from them. I'll just let it get bashed in for awhile and eventually have my buddy use the piping to build me something more "custom".
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 11:22:03 AM »
I had a TSP Catback on my Z28. Was on the car when I bought it. It sounded "ok"  Would've preferred a nice header setup, but never got to do it.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:43 AM »
My TSP Longtubes after having it on the lift last night don't fit too bad. It's the Y-Pipe that just doesn't have ideal bends to it. Longtubes and my SLP catback are fine
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »
ran 12.8@105mph best. couldn't cut better than a 1.8 60'

Due to the long drive home and no way to fill my tires back up (air pump at track was out of order) I didn't want to drop my rears below 20psi.
Hurt me a bit probably + i was just finding the sweetspot for launching the car. Seeming to work best to just flash the stall rather than launch off 1400-1500rpm like some buddies do.

On the street she hits hard but on the track it was bogging but also spinning a bit.

More burnout, maybe 18psi or so in the rears and I'd like to cut a 1.7 60'. And see maybe 12.6-12.7. I think that's about the best I can hope for with bone stock suspension. Still not too upset since at this point car is basically just full exhaust, stall, and gears.

Next up is ideally an LS6 intake because I'm a cheapass, and the cam. Then over winter some basic suspension stuff.

Before that even though I'm hoping I can find a house.

For now the car is a pretty decent cruiser with enough power to not be painfully boring.
I'll get the gf to send me a couple of her saved videos she took so i can post them here - since she took them all through snapchat  ::) ::) ::)
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
Little update. Nothing really changed cept a lot of miles. 63.5k miles on it now, up from 57.5k when I bought in July.

About to be put away for the winter though and for upgrades. Daily driving it at the moment though since my beater is undergoing a front end rebuild. Went to just do new brakes all the way around and found it needed both control arms, tie rods, and swaybar links. Been putting it off but probably going to do it here soon. Wouldn't be bad but years of sitting/rot/etc makes everything that much more annoying/harder. Rusty/broken bolts/etc.

Anyway for the T/A currently today my LS6 intake will be coming then all I'll be missing is pushrods and ls7 lifters if I decide not to use my LS1 lifters.

Current parts pile

Not all of it is in the picture but main things:

Brian Tooley Stage 3 Cam (231/242 .617"/.592" 112+2) - little more mild than my Isky Custom grind I had in my old fireturd back in 2011 which was just too big I felt but had great mid-top end power. I think this cam will be great both without high flowing heads and also with high flowing heads since eventually I'll have some.

862 Heads fresh from machine shop with valve job, surfacing, and cleaning. They came assembled minus rocker arms and pushrods. They have Isky dual valvesprings in them already that will support my cam just fine. Thing was i got them from a buddy and he thought they were 243's. Realized they were 862's but I still took them for the springs. I also got the injectors and msd wires from him and I gave him $350 for everything so not a bad deal.

42lb Injectors ( can't remember brand, they're high impedance) that will support heads/cam/a mild shot of nitrous down the line.

MSD 8.5 wires - not a big deal but new and came with the heads/injectors for $350 so not a bad addition.

LS6 Intake - at the post office, gf is picking it up for me today since I missed it on saturday.

Everything else in the pile like head gaskets, headbolts, valley gasket, VC gaskets, WP gaskets, cam seal, etc.

I'm keeping an eye out for decent deals on 243's still. I know some great AFR heads or something aren't in the budget for awhile but a set of 243's would definitely get me to my goals. I might just slap on the 862's though. They're fresh but they have a smaller chamber than the stock 241 heads so they actually flow a bit less but they bump up compression about .8 so I will probably see maybe 5-10hp gain from them. Not really worth it much but the fact they came with springs that will support my cam I figured what the hell. And tbh I think it's almost easier to remove heads and install them in fbody due to the cowl than it is to change the springs with heads on the car.

Nitrous wont come til next year either. besides the cam my main goal yet between now and next track visit is also some suspension work. SFC's, control arms & relocation brackets, torque arm, panhard bar, and some QA1's are all in my next in line plans.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
Ugh, makes me want another LS car so bad.  I sold mine before I got to put any mods on it.  Maybe one day!! 

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »
Ugh, makes me want another LS car so bad.  I sold mine before I got to put any mods on it.  Maybe one day!!
I definitely missed it but even more I yearn for an LS in another chassis. I'm sure I'll get bored of this thing in a year or two.
I really want to do an LS swap, I'm not picky either. I just hate working on 4th gens and I couldn't bring myself to hack it up to really make it my own/different.

Something like a 300zx, mk3 targa supra, third gen fbody, rx8, new edge mustang - are all chassis I'd love to swap. Some day I'll do one but not until I'm ready to undertake it.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
I do love the Z28 I had.  But, yeah I do have a yearning for a swapped car.  But, I'm more into the LS1 swap sleepers.  S10, Miata, a beater station wagon. :lol:

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »
I'd rock a miata as well.

Honestly my goal 5 years from now is to have my swapped car ideally running in the 10's. I'm not planning a full race car or anything, I'm not as competitive on the track as my friends. I like going to races but more I like cruising/spirited drives.

For a daily I'd really like to end up getting a galant VR4 and replicating the basic/simple build of my 94 talon tsi I just sold with a stock block/16g running 11's. That would be my sleeper more or less haha.

But for now staying realistic. I take possession of my house on Thursday and little house projects are going to be the main focus once the heads/cam are on my Trans Am. House will suck up money for a bit while I get furniture and do small projects. Then also need to start paying back my medical bills. Only 5,000 but has to be paid back in a year so payments are going to be enough to really hurt me between mortgage/student loans/car payment/insurance/utilities/etc. Glory of being an adult. Helps that the gf is going to be paying half the mortgage and paying all my insurance though since she doesn't really have any other bills.

As long as I can keep one bike, the trans am in at mininum high 11s, beater in decent condition, and the house/gf I'll be happy lol.
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
Sounds about like me.  Just had 3rd child 5 months ago. Sold house, now staying in parents 2 bedroom part-time home.  Waiting for new loan for new house.  Paid off credit cards. Have to buy some appliances and furniture.  Our only vehicle is the Durango, and I already had to spend $1,300 on the transfer case, and another $500 deductible for the body damage.  Project car is not in the near future.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »
ouch yeah I hear that. I promised gf a kid by the time I'm 30 which gives me 5 years if we make it there lol (don't see why we wouldnt :P)
 Works since she's 20 and wants one by 25 lol.

Goal is to be free of my student loans, medical debt, car payment, and gf's car payment before any more investments or kids.

Which honestly between everything I owe not including the house - it's right around $21,000 which isn't really that bad since 10k of that is student loans only on 2-3% interest since I already paid off all the high interest stuff. My medical stuff is 1 year loan no interest so it won't be bad.

I plan to sell both bikes here soon and get something cheaper more for cruising/riding to work. Getting tired of getting hurt on the supermoto lol and the zx9r just hurts my back too much anymore. I figure I'll sell them for about $6000-7000 total and buy a $1500 bike to replace them. That extra $ will all go towards bills.

I hope to be sitting pretty good after next year honestly. Gf and I both make decent $ so I hope to make some of my goals a reality but I'm not going to hope for the world. Shit can always come up. Could accidentally get her preggo early lol
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
So it kind of dawned on me a few weeks ago it was already practically summer and this thing still was sitting with just the intake off nothing else.

So I started digging into it the last few weekends and took off some time from work to get misc stuff done between the car, house, and boat. Pulled everything off mostly myself with some help getting the busted harmonic balancer off and removing heads. Put the new cam in.  Just finished my 5 day memorial day weekend vacation thing which was a pretty routine schedule 3 days in a row of getting up at 9am, getting boat on water by 10am. Being out til about 5-7pm. Going home and working on car til 4am. Get up at 9am and repeat. I'm exhausted - really should of taken another day off just to relax. We finished the car yesterday afternoon.  First start went great and pretty much immediately went for a drive then cruised it all night.

Drove it to work this morning. So far so good! Avoiding beating on much until after my 500 mile oil change.

Absolutely love it so far though - will need to post a sound clip. It's obnoxiously loud - just the way I like it

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

speedy_2

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
Maybe it's just the pic, but when did you install the suspension lift? :lol:

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
Buddy said same thing haha.
Same height as before but exhaust still too low to lower it.
Next few weeks at some point I'm going to try to have a buddy re-do it so I can actually entertain lowering it a bit with some nice adjustables
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 03:42:23 AM »
I finally caved and bought a hood for it.
I really wanted a firehawk/SLP style hood for it but there aren't any really great replicas out there that are known for good fitment/quality.
And my patience of looking for a genuine hood for less than $1000 has worn out.

Trufiber I've seen nothing but good things about so about a week and a half ago I ordered Trufiber's OEM replica Ram Air Ws6 hood.
Had it shipped straight to a friend I know who is very skilled in body work and an amazing painter. He got it Monday and had it done for me today so I drove my truck up 2 hours to get it and back.

I installed it on the car and right away I went ahead and taped off the hood and sprayed the stainless steel mesh with black plastidip. Looked super tacky before. Still need to find a way to safely cut it out/remove the mesh because I have genuine honeycomb grills for the nostrils. But for now the plastidip makes it look decent enough since you cant even hardly see them now.

Then I put on the ram air pin stripes. Very unhappy with them, more myself than anything. I was too eager to put them on and didn't think about how much the insanely hot and nasty humid weather would affect the install. They did NOT want to stick and when they did their air bubbles were horrendous. I got most of the big ones out but using a card to press out air bubbles cause a lot of small little defects that you only see if you're up close but it still bothers me. So at some point I'll probably remove the ram air stripes and put a new set on or just put on regular ram air badges.

Next is starting to figure out what I want todo with the car. Keep it, re-do the exhaust to get fitment decent so I can do some suspension, get some real heads, maybe a plate kit, and let her eat until the 4l60 goes and then build it decent. I'll sell the car before I ever take it past high 10's if I can get it there. Other option is to sell it now and get a vette/coyote or ls swap a third gen or something else like I've wanted to.

For now though it's still a fun as hell car to beat around and with this nasty heat wave the last 2 weeks I've been enjoying its ice cold ac.

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
took a few more pictures tonight. Still need to adjust fitment on the hood but I'm content for now while I get some other stuff ironed out.
Yes I genuinely riced it with a ws6 badge lol. It bothers my OCD when I see a car with the ws6 hood and no badge. I know it's seriously 16a.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:49:02 PM by Slow4g63 »
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
I was this close to jumping your shit on Facebook about the badge. :lol:

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Slow4g63