Author Topic: 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R  (Read 1264 times)

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »
So I had a 08 Suzuki B-King (basically a naked hayabusa, same 1340cc motor just 10hp less from exhaust/intake differences).
I didn't ride it much because I have my 06 DRZ400SM which is my main squeeze and I ride it 80% of the time I go out.

I figured it wasn't really worth keeping such an expensiveish bike (to me) around when I only occasionally rode it.

So I sold the b-king for 5k and found this 01 zx9r. Talked seller down to $1500 and brought it on home.

I was skeptical of it big time. Guy's dad was the one I was meeting with and buying it from. Owner lives 3 hours away and had left this bike sit at his parent's house in the garage for over 2 years. Said last time he tried to start it - it wouldn't start. Told me he thought it needed brakes, chain and sprocket, battery, fuel line, fork seal, and tires.

he thought it only needed a battery to run - but with all the list of issues I was pretty worried there was more to it than that. The main thing attracting me to the bike was that I have a soft spot for mid-late 90's/early 2000's sportbikes. I especially love the kawis of that era. I loved my two 08 zzr600's which were just reissues of the 00-02 zx6r. I especially have a hard on for the last of the zx7r's. Unique bikes that I just find super cool, but power wise don't hold a candle to the 9r for sure. My attraction to them though also requires them to be clean and mostly original which this one was.

I ended up getting pleasantly surprised when I got there and threw in a loaner battery and it fired right up and even idled good. It sputtered and bogged a decent bit while out riding though but it was good enough that I made the 2 hour trip home on it without an issue. Brakes ended up not really being bad - just honestly needed to be ridden and I just bled them and put in new fluid and they're fine now. ZX9r's aren't known for their great factory brakes as is. I expect I'll do the "nissin" caliper upgrade eventually.

Then the chain and sprocket really aren't bad at all, just needed cleaned, oiled, and adjusted properly. I didn't see any leak from the fork seals either. I ran a seal saver through both of them though just to be safe. Tires it does need. Rear tire actually probably could of lasted the season. Front tire has good tread but is cupped baddly from sitting and makes corners a nightmare. Fuel line from the tank to carb is just weathered/cracked and previous owner zip tied it around one of the cracks to try to stop the leak. It doesn't drip fuel but the fuel line is wet to the touch.

So I got it home, bought it with 19.5k miles. I put about 800 miles on it in just over a week. After running a full can of seafoam through 2 tanks of gas it runs fantastic now and doesn't need the carbs cleaned like I thought it would.

Soon as I got home - that night I started ordering parts.

New Tires, new brake pads(figured I might as well), new clutch cable(she was about maxed), everything for an oil change, new clutch/brake levers(ones on it are mismatched and annoy me), flush mount turn signals since the stockers were cracked and dangling, integrated tail light, new gel battery, bike stands, then even some dumb stuff like a bike friendly kawi keychain, a 12v usb charging port, and a ninja sock cover for the brake fluid resevoir. Rice as fuuuuuu.

I took it apart Monday after work. It's so hot this week and I don't have a/c in my garage that I can't stand to mess with it for more than an hour at a time.

Right now I have the new flush signals installed, fairings pulled off, new clutch cable installed, and wheels off to get the new tires mounted. Tonight I'm going to go try my hand at mounting my tires myself with a buddy's help who said its easy. I also want to do the oil change tonight and get the fuel tank off to replace the leaky fuel hose and figure out why my fuel/reserve petcock knob won't turn.

Goal is to have it all back together and ready to thrash around this weekend. My DRZ400SM is also in the middle of a new motor so I hate currently being bikeless especially with the nice weather this week. Another thing I'm doing it while it's so stripped is cleaning. The plastics and paint all are in good shape and shine well, but underneath its super grimey, covered in dust, and etc.

From riding it so far it has really impressed me. These older ninjas are super comfortable for being rockets. Their bar position, seat, and just overall seating position is way more street-friendly.
Then it really surprised me on power - it's not as torquey down low as newer 1000's - it still has more than a 600 but it's like a 600 where it doesn't really get intense until 7000+rpm. Once you get into the sweet spot though it pulls super hard. It doesn't feel that much slower than my old 07 zx10r did - granted it is slower it might just be that it's heavier.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. I'll update when I remember to :)

Pictures:

First night I owned it - I pulled all these LED's out of it

Hard@Work

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
Re: 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
Figure why not a really long overdue update on this pile.

I got everything done to it pretty much in that 1 week and just been riding it since.

Has been a great bike ever since. Exactly what I wanted - just a fun bike to hop on and go when I need to do highway or ride a passenger.

In addition I put a fancy charging port setup on it and a delkevic exhaust.

Granted I only got about 2000 miles on it before I shattered my foot on the drz back in  July. 2 months later and I finally went on my first bike ride again this last Sunday.

Feels good to be back in the saddle. Unfortunately I have it listed for sale right now as it's purely an extra unnecessary toy and selling it for $ would help on buying the house but if it doesn't sell I won't be upset at all. I love it.

gf likes it too haha

2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD