Author Topic: [Video Game] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) SPOILERS  (Read 1692 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
[Video Game] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) SPOILERS
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »

I'm not going to touch on the story here other than to say it's probably the best story in the Uncharted series, and concludes in a satisfactory, if unexpected way. It touches on many themes carried in the past 3 games, delivering a really nice summary of and conclusion to Nathan Drake's character arc, tying up loose ends and questions left unanswered (see my U3 review), while also paying great fan service to not only fans of the Uncharted series, but fans of Naughty Dog games as well. Uncharted 4 is, at times, a letter of appreciation written to the millions of gamers who have taken Naughty Dog from humble beginnings to the massive success it is today.

Also, if you're someone who didn't appreciate the supernatural aspects of the first two games (and the hallucination sequence in Uncharted 3), you'll be glad to know that it is entirely absent from Uncharted 4. No zombies, ghosts or goblins here - just humans.

NOTE: The following photos are screen shots from IN-GAME action (not cut scenes), taken using the Share feature of the PS4.

Graphics:

By far, the greatest looking video game I have ever played, bar none. I've played games with high resolution, I've played games with more realistic textures, but I've never played a game with such incredible art direction brought to life in such a beautiful way. It's not perfect - there are some low res textures hidden here or there, the occasional case of pop-in or graininess and water still doesn't look all that great, but overall it's hard to complain when you spend most of game standing still to look at the incredible sights. There's actually a counter that logs how long you've spent standing still - I apparently stood still for a total of 1 hour over the course of my 13 hours of play time. I guarantee that's 1 hour's worth of staring at vistas and lining up for the perfect screen shot.

There's a photo mode included which I haven't touched yet, along with a surprisingly large assortment of post filters and stuff to play with.

Sounds:
Sound is good. Great, even. Not much to say here, nothing really stands out to me, but the guns sound powerful, the explosions have a good punch to them, the music is excellent, so on and so forth. No complaints here, but you may want to play with Subtitles on as sometimes voices can be drowned out by the environment.

Game play:
The most refined Uncharted experience yet, correcting most problems anyone had with the previous titles while adding new features with success.

First new feature is the grappling hook - while this could be considered a direct rip off of Tomb Raider, well, I guess that's a fair assessment. It's almost a direct lift, although its implementation here is far more intuitive and logical. Need to swing over a chasm? Grappling hook. Need to pull something off a ledge? Grappling hook. Need to rappel down a cliff side? Grappling hook. It has many uses, but there are times where you'd think the grappling hook COULD and SHOULD be used where it is not, for example, a section where Nate uses a cart to climb over a high wall, but the car rolls back and crashes before Sully and Elena can climb up. Nate says goodbyes, not sure if he's going to make it back alive, and they split up... and 2 seconds later you whip out your grappling hook to swing over a chasm.

The second feature is the Jeep. And it's SO good. Drive-able vehicles are not new to the series, but in Uncharted 4 you're given WAY more freedom. The vehicles, especially the Jeep, feel more like a tool than a plot device. Most vehicle sections give you the freedom to travel about in any direction, limited only by the capabilities of the vehicle (although the boat section has an arbitrary limitation just to keep you from fucking off into the ocean). Dare I say, offroading in the Jeep in this game is WAY more satisfying than offroading in nearly any other game I've ever played. Mud gets soupy, requiring tons of wheel spin to power through. Uphill climbs need a run-up. Tires skip and chip on the rocks between the soil. Large chunks of mud cling to the tire tread and fling high into the air, sticking to the Jeep. Driving through water will wash off the dirt and mud. Find a hill you can't climb? Grab the winch cable and loop it around a tree. And yes, the winch cable is a physical object - Nate will climb over it instead of passing through it like a ghost.

There's a chase scene about halfway through the game which looks like a prerendered cut scene... even while you're playing it, it's hard to believe that you're actually in complete control. It just looks and controls so good.

Gun play is enhanced by a refined stealth system, which utilizes the marking system a-la FarCry 3, where you can tag enemies and track their movements. If you're careful and patient, you can clear nearly any section of the game without being spotted. It's POSSIBLE, but DIFFICULT - which makes it incredibly satisfying to pull off.

There is one real boss fight in the game and it occurs at the very end. It amounts to little more than a quick time event without button prompts, but that's OK, because introducing a whole new game mechanic that late in the game would have been a disaster.

The maps are HUGE. The variety of locations is impressive, but the locations themselves are just massive in most cases. I'd like to see every section of the game compressed into a single map to see just how big it is in relation to Just Cause 3.

If there's one complaint I have, it's the portions of the game where you slide down hills. Not every time, but the times when you have to time your jumps carefully - it can be frustrating. There's one spot near the end of the game where I died about 10 times in a row, because there was no way to predict what was coming until you saw it, and by then it was too late to react. That was a poorly designed portion of the game, with no clear indication on where you were supposed to go. Trial and error. Frustrating.

The last act of the game does begin to drag on with a seemingly unending slog through the jungle followed by a sequence in which you navigate underground tunnels with Elena, which is reminiscent, likely intentionally, of Uncharted 1. There's even a bit where you have to shake the controller to get the flash light to work, just like Uncharted 1. This sequence takes too long, and it comes at a point where you're driving forward to the conclusion of the game. Momentum just stops dead and you're forced to navigate through repetitive sections for a significant amount of time. It might not be so bad if you didn't feel urgency to reach the goal, but I kept feeling like I just wanted to get to where I was going, so everything in between was frustrating. 

It's also worth mentioning that this is the first time I've ever experienced a swimming section in a game and WASN'T totally annoyed. The swimming is actually enjoyable, and controls nicely.

Overall:
Uncharted 4 is a beautiful game, a technical masterpiece, and should definitely be experienced, even if you only rent it for a few days. If you want to show off your PS4 to a friend, THIS is the game with which to do so. Just load up the car chase scene, or the big off-roading portion. That's not to say the rest of the game isn't impressive, but these sections in particular stand out of super-impressive, and definitely make a clear distinction that this is a "next gen" game, not just a game with pretty graphics.

9/10, and with all that said, here's a bunch more screen shots I took.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: [Video Game] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
I only played the second game but really enjoyed it. It was a great experience, albeit with relatively mediocre gun mechanics.

I have not (and will not) play this one but I have watched most of the game via streamers on Twitch. I thought the ending was very, very well done and a fitting finale to Nathan Drake's tale.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:47:18 PM »
Probably won't ever play this, but wow the screen shots I've seen here and elsewhere are amazing! 

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »
Probably won't ever play this, but wow the screen shots I've seen here and elsewhere are amazing! 

It's been labeled the best most technically impressive console game so far. That's quite a compliment.

speedy_2

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
Here's the thread I was talking about over at GTplanet.net

Amazing visuals!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/uncharted-4-photo-thread.345974/page-2#post-11366855