Author Topic: [Movie] Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS)  (Read 1427 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
[Movie] Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS)
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
Marvel does it again.

Captain America: Civil War is a great action movie. It's well paced, thought provoking, witty, and surprisingly coherent given the number of lead characters it has to juggle.

The Avengers find themselves in a debate over collateral damage during their attempts to save the world from repeated existential threats. From the time aliens invaded New York, to SHIELD dropping helicarriers on Washington as Cap tried to defeat HYDRA, to Ultron lifting a city into the sky and dropping it, to a more recent incident where a battle ended up with a building being blown up and numerous casualties.

Civil War tackles the issue of collateral damage far better than Batman vs Superman did, and instead of using the conflict as a one-sided argument for illegal immigration (like BvS did), it instead seems to be poised as a thought-provoking, conversation-starting allegory for gun control, giving both sides of the argument a fair chance to be heard, and making the answer far more ambiguous than perhaps we would like it to be.

The Avengers have caused death, while preventing death. Do the deaths of a few outweigh the deaths of the many? Should the Avengers be allowed to remain unchecked, uncontrolled, unlimited when their battles cause civilian casualties?

The easy answer is no, way more people would die if the Avengers weren't there to fight the bad guys, but then the question is raised; would these bad guys exist if not for the existence of the Avengers?

And there's never a clear answer. Tony Stark is on the side of opting for control, Steve Rogers is not. Both make good, compelling arguments, and although Tony Stark's is more logically sound, Captain America proves yet again that you can't necessarily trust the judgement of bureaucrats, that sometimes you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. And by the end of the movie, you're still left debating in your own head who is right.

That's awesome.

The action scenes are well done. There's a lot of shaky cam in the begging of the film, but it smooths out, and the big airport set piece is pure nerd-candy. If you're a comic book fan, you're gonna get butterflies in your stomach watching these beloved heroes duke it out.

Civil War introduces two new characters to this series: Black Panther, and Spiderman.

I was not expecting to like Black Panther, I expected a minimally fleshed out character, just a conveniently timed addition to even out the numbers... turns out, he's incredibly bad ass and I will be going to see his stand alone film. Very well done, although not fully explained.

Spiderman... Oh boy. At first, he seemed too young, too small, too innocent to be the hero I thought I knew. But as his scenes progressed, I realized that this is the most true to form version of Spiderman ever put on film. He's just a kid, and he looks the part, unlike Tobey Macquire. And unlike Andrew Garfield's rendition of Peter Parker, Tom Holland portrays Parker as kind of a loser, a loner, but with a heart of gold and an overload of optimism and enthusiasm. This is Peter Parker to a T. His voice may be a little off putting at first, but by the time we see him in action, it's clear that this is the REAL Spiderman.

I haven't seen Ant Man, but he was awesome in this movie. Every bit as sarcastic as Tony Stark, but without the street cred. The very few interactions between him and Stark were entertaining, and I can't wait to see more. He gets the single biggest laugh of the entire film as well, during the big airport battle.

The film ends with uncertainty. It's not all wrapped up neatly, there's a is massive conflict left on the table. It's unclear what Tony Stark is thinking, whether he's accepted that Captain America is right, or the exact opposite. It's unclear what Cap plans to do, now that he's known as a criminal vigilante. The series can go in some very exciting, interesting directions from here, and I can't wait to see what unfolds.

And thankfully, it appears that Chris Evans will remain as Captain America for the foreseeable future, which is a relief, because I don't think there's anybody who could fit the role better than him.

10/10

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
Re: [Movie] Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:51:25 AM »
I can't wait for all of these movies to be over and done with.  Entertainment value aside they're just not that good.  I'll probably see this, eventually, but I'm just so tired of all the comic sequels.

BTW, Ant Man was good.

Final Thoughts: Marvel sure does have a nice cash cow though, don't they?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »
You know that watching them is optional, right? What is it about them that isn't good? I think they're outstanding. We're finally at a point in technology where we can do justice when converting a comic book to a movie and make it not look like shit (e.g. old Superman movies). You said "entertainment value aside" but isn't that the whole point of these movies?

I didn't read the review (just looked at the score) just in case there are some spoilers. I've never been a big comic book fan but Winter Soldier is one of the best action movies we've had in a while. The first Avengers was great and I enjoyed having them together. Second one was just okay.

Personally, I'm not sick of it yet because at least most super heroes are very different. They have different powers, different worlds, some are really dark, some are light-hearted. So far, it's holding on much stronger than zombies did.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but... Not that good? What more do you need from the movies to consider them good?

Great action set pieces, check
Great visuals, check
Interesting story, check
Interesting, likable characters, check

Not sure what else they could do. Age of Ultron wasn't that great, Deadpool wasn't as good as its hype IMO, Xmen continues to be mediocre and and DC comics movie is going to be lackluster... But the main Avengers series has been fantastic.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
I thought Deadpool was really good. It's a nice switch from the typical superhero movie.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »
You know that watching them is optional, right? What is it about them that isn't good? I think they're outstanding. We're finally at a point in technology where we can do justice when converting a comic book to a movie and make it not look like shit (e.g. old Superman movies). You said "entertainment value aside" but isn't that the whole point of these movies?

I didn't read the review (just looked at the score) just in case there are some spoilers. I've never been a big comic book fan but Winter Soldier is one of the best action movies we've had in a while. The first Avengers was great and I enjoyed having them together. Second one was just okay.

Personally, I'm not sick of it yet because at least most super heroes are very different. They have different powers, different worlds, some are really dark, some are light-hearted. So far, it's holding on much stronger than zombies did.

Absolutely optional, duh.  Its a review thread which is full of opinion.  I'm simply offering up mine.  Reading and commenting on it is also optional.  Now, Kalgorn, with that said, I agree on your point about technology and its ability to bring these movies to the point where it does them justice. 100% No argument.  The whole point is entertainment value.  When I say I'm tired, I mean the Iron Man/Avengers/Captain America series.  Its the Marvel Universe.  Don't fuck the cash cow too hard is all I'm saying.  Bring on the Deadpools, the Ant Mans. 

I just don't care for the "Avengers" sequels.  Even Iron Man lost value after the first IMO. Thor 2, yep wasn't as great.

These movies have the power to WOW in theaters viewing for the first time.  For instance, I loved Dead Pool.  Viewing it the 2nd time was very..... "Meh".

Its not that I'm an enemy to the movies or potential series.  Its just that I get bored of the same plot line.  Just a non-comic nerd cinephile's opinion.