Author Topic: [Video Game] Darksiders (PS3)  (Read 4176 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
[Video Game] Darksiders (PS3)
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »
Just finished this game this morning. Think of mix of God of War and Zelda and you have Darksiders. It's a good thing though. They're pulled a lot of positives out of both games and put them in one. The general synopsis is that Heaven and Hell have been battling for ages and the Charred Council emerged to follow ancient laws to keep order and balance; however, during the fighting, Humans came to be. The Council realizes their potential and forces a truce upon Heaven and Hell by forging Seven Seals that were not to be broken until a specific time when the Kingdom of Man was prepared to battle in the Endwar with Heaven and Hell to decide who is superior.

You are War, one of the Four Horsemen whose job is to work for The Council to keep the balance between the realm of Heaven, Hell, and Man. The Horsemen will not emerge unless all seven seals are broken. One day, War is called to Earth, but cannot find his brothers. Heaven and Hell are fighting a large battle in the middle of a city and Man is stuck in the middle, helpless. War overhears from Heaven's leader Abaddon that "The seventh seal was not broken". Upon hearing this, War begins his quest to find out why he was summoned and how to stop the raging battle between Heaven and Hell.

Graphics
Pretty good. Not up to snuff with the likes of God of War, but it looked good. I think the in-game could have used a little more AA to help out with the jaggies, but overall it was impressive. Cut scenes were cleaned up a little more and looked great and the intro movie looked fantastic. Apart from one glitch where I got thrown into a wall and fell through the floor, I found no graphical issues at all. I didn't notice any graphical clipping. The gameplay in the city was relatively drab and gray, but the characters have enough color that they stand out well.

Sound
The voice acting was great. The sounds of battle fit really well such as the slicing noises of War's sword as it passes through the air.

Gameplay
Pretty solid. A few hiccups that were aggrivating, such as not being able to use an item while floating through the air. If you hold the jump button to float and hit the item button, it does nothing. Caused me to die a handful of times. Combat is very simple. There is one main attack button and another button used for attacking with your secondary weapon. I think, because of this, that combat was much simpler and I felt like I was using the same moves over and over again. The camera would catch on things once in a while, but rarely. My biggest issue with the camera was that it would constantly float around on its own and reset if you were on a rotating platform. If you're trying to look in one direction while on a rotating platform, the camera will continue to come back down to ground level. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

Overall Presentation
The storyline was mildly compelling. The gameplay was the most important part. The world itself isn't very large when compared to some other games of the genre, but there is some backtracking necessary (with minor changes) that help push it along. The bosses are large and interesting, but I found my battles with them to be a little easier than some of the standard baddies you find in the world. Once you figure out the trick to each boss, it's more of an evasion process until the appropriate moment. The upgrade system worked well. By killing enemies (and opening certain treasure chests), you gain souls -- your currency. There is a 'vendor' of sorts that has locations all across the map where you can buy items, upgrade/buy 'spells', and upgrade your weapons.

There are four collectibles in this collectables in the game. Lifestone shards (four makes a Lifestone core -- think heart from Zelda), Wrath shards (four makes a Wrath core -- think mana bar), Artifacts, and Abyssal Armor pieces. The two shards are found in special glowing chests that refill the appropriate meter and also give you a shard. The Artifacts are glowing green icons found around the world that can be collected and turned in to the vendor for souls. There are three levels of Artifacts and a specific quantity of each -- soldier (20), champion (6), overlord (1). The Abyssal armor pieces (10 of them) are found in special chests around the world. Once you collect all 10 (not a requirement for finishing the game), you gain a new badass outfit and you take less damage from enemies. I found almost all of the collectables while simply playing through the game. Some are in very clever places, others are very obvious. However, they all require backtracking.

Conclusion
I liked it. IGN gave it a 7.8 and I think it was deserved. It's a great game with a few minor flaws. It's not very short either. Typical clock in is 15 hours -- I had over 17, but I try to be very thorough with games. I don't plan to go back and find the minor things that I missed, but it was definitely worth a play through. I recommend it to any fan of action/adventure games.

8/10

Here's some screenshots (click for larger):

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Mick

Re: [Video Game] Darksiders (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »
Bought the game new, played for awhile made it fairly far in, then decided to restart because I found out missed a bunch of things along the way. Almost back to where I left off, but haven't played it in a few months, it was a fun game but I had gotten caught up in a couple others need to go back and finish it soon. But what I played of it(combined maybe 10hours or so it was fun.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: [Video Game] Darksiders (PS3)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »
Why the restart? You can easily just backtrack and pick them up.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS