Author Topic: [Video Game] Hitman (2016) PS4 OPEN-BETA  (Read 1457 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
[Video Game] Hitman (2016) PS4 OPEN-BETA
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »
Stupid inconsistent naming conventions...

Hitman is a soft reboot/sequel/prequel to every game in the series, following the actions of Agent 47 in the beginning and prime of his career as a contract killer.

Following the time-jumping pattern of Contracts and Blood Money, Hitman fills in more games in 47's history, but is not a direct prequel to any particular story line.

A free, open beta was released today for PS4, so I had to jump on it to see if the game was worth giving a second look, after the abomination that was Hitman: Absolution (see that review here.)

It's no secret that Blood Money is the fan-favorite of the series, featuring elaborate puzzle-like open ended levels with a myriad of ways to complete your objective, truly letting you role-play as Agent 47 (you can see THAT review here), whereas Absolution was a very linear slog of quick time events, cut scenes where Agent 47 does inexplicably stupid things to fuck up the mission, and a horrible, horrible script.

If you're of the same opinion as myself, you'll be glad to know that Hitman (2016) appears to be the sequel to Blood Money that everyone wanted Absolution to be... or, at the very least, a huge step in the right direction.

The beta gives you access to 47's training prologue, a pair of simulated missions that the game holds your hand through so you can learn the new features, or just how to play a Hitman game in general.

As a Blood Money veteran, I felt right at home, and the only tips I needed from the game involved which button to press to perform which action.

The rules are mostly the same as Blood Money, with a few carry-overs from Absolution:

-Certain NPC's may realize that you don't look familiar, regardless of your disguise, and may either question you or go full on hostile if they get a good look.

-The Instinct mode is back, but it's 100% optional and feels more like a virtual reality map than it does a complete cheat sheet. It no longer predicts AI paths, it just points out where they are, as well as points of interest - much like the map in Blood Money.

-Enemies don't repeat the same routines over and over. Yes, you need to move rather quickly if you want to take advantage of certain opportunities. To make up for this, you can eavesdrop on conversations that might reveal opportunities, and the game will let you track those opportunities, pretty much like choosing a specific way to carry out the hit - although you can deviate or alter it at ANY time.

-Unfortunately, quick-time hand to hand combat is carried over from Absolution as well. It works well enough, but it wouldn't be missed if it were replaced with standard fisticuffs.

On the downside, you can no longer take a human shield, which was my go-to method of quietly and quickly subduing AI in Blood Money.

The open ended nature of Blood Moneys levels is back in full force, although it would seem the developers spared no expense in making sure you are aware of the plethora of ways to kill your target. That cheapens the experience, as one thing I really loved about Blood Money was that feeling I got when I figured something out on my own. That said, these ARE tutorial missions, so it's entirely possible things will be a little different in the full game.

Thankfully, there's meant to be a Purist mode, which strips away all of the hand holding and assists. Absolution had something similar but it STILL didn't feel like a Hitman game. I can say with confidence that, if all of the help tips and assists were stripped out, these two missions I played would feel VERY at home in Blood Money.

There's not enough here to really get a good idea of what the full game will be like. The beta encourages you to replay the levels, and there are Challenges to complete to give you more of a reason to try different ways. It's clear the developers knew that Absolution was a mistake and they've made sure to focus on free form game play this time around, which is a HUGE relief.

I can say at this point, I am likely to buy Hitman, but I'm going to probably wait until early reviews are in before I make my final decision. If the full game is like the beta missions, at the very least I will enjoy it as a Hitman game, even if it doesn't quite live up to Blood Money. That's far more than can be said about Absolution.

Dominic Terreto

Re: [Video Game] Hitman (2016) PS4 OPEN-BETA
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »
Always wanted to play the HITMAN game, never got around to pick up a copy... i might try this out.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: [Video Game] Hitman (2016) PS4 OPEN-BETA
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:08:31 AM »
Try Hitman: Blood Money first. Came out in 2008, so graphics and stuff are dated but it's still a fun game and the most pure Hitman experience. Should be able to find it for Xbox, PS2 and on Steam. Should run on just about any computer nowadays.