Author Topic: "Apps"  (Read 1217 times)

speedy_2

"Apps"
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
Am I the only one that still prefers a website over an "app."  (Side note: I hate the shortened form "APP" by the way. Most people have no clue where that even came from.)

eBay is a huge example for me.  The functionality of the app is terrible. 

My wife uses Facebook on an iPad and it drives her nuts.  Of course, she just puts up with it. 

I could go on and on about those apps and others.   

When they do get a decent version of an app working, or a certain function that works nice......THEY UPDATE IT!!!!!!   Oh yay, thanks for changing something that actually worked! 

Screw-Rice

Re: "Apps"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
The only app I use is my banking one for mobile deposit, which even that is kind of clunky. I do almost zero web surfing on my phone/tablet since I can't stand the layout/posting. I've also noticed for example the craigslist app is garbage and only produces a small amount of results compared to even just going to the full site on your device. Not sure why, but the app seems to never work correctly.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:02:16 PM »
Yeah, I don't use tapatalk for that reason. I put up with the Facebook app because it serves the basic functions.

Mobile pages are typically garbage as well. Pages that default to a mobile version with no option to toggle it off tend to be buggy as all hell.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »
I agree with you in some cases but it's too blanket of a statement. There are some apps that are super helpful.

Like Screw said, banking apps are great for mobile deposit. Can't do that on a computer. I love not having to drive to the bank to deposit a check.

I don't have an issue with the Facebook app. It works fine for me but I'm also not a heavy user. Plus, it's great for me to post a couple pictures of my son so family members can see them. Much easier than going on my computer, hooking up my phone through USB or bluetooth, transferring the photos, and then putting them on Facebook. It couldn't be any simpler.

Slickdeals app is really easy to just scan through popular deals and see if anything catches my fancy.

The problem stems with these companies that create an app just to say they have one. Let's give Home Depot as an example. They have a mobile site that works perfectly fine. The app isn't necessary.

Mobile pages are typically garbage as well. Pages that default to a mobile version with no option to toggle it off tend to be buggy as all hell.

That technically doesn't exist. You're probably thinking of a responsive site which is how all websites should be built at this point. Having a separate mobile site is actually frowned upon these days. It's more upkeep and unnecessary with modern web programming.

If you're browsing on your phone and you have a site that has dumped you over to their mobile version (usually www.site.com/mobile or m.site.com), your browser should have a setting to request the desktop site. This fakes your device's user agent and tricks the site into sending the desktop version. This won't work with a responsive site though. A responsive site is built to allow all of the content to be scaled to your device's screen size.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS