Author Topic: 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser  (Read 6662 times)

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
Re: 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
Nice work, and nice to see one of these getting used for what it's designed to do.  All the ones I see around here are all tarted up or completely Bro'ed out for mall duty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
Nice work, and nice to see one of these getting used for what it's designed to do.  All the ones I see around here are all tarted up or completely Bro'ed out for mall duty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I don't use it as hard as some do, but I try!

It goes to the mall like a boss. My wife just loves how open the cargo area is so she can stuff it full of the crap she buys.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 01:50:59 AM »
Are the post FJ-80's full time 4WD?

I ask because when you go into the backcountry, do you use 4x4 all the time or just wait till your stuck?  I'm still a little up in the air about doing a full conversion on my van or just doing a lift/larger tires/locker. 

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
Are the post FJ-80's full time 4WD?

I ask because when you go into the backcountry, do you use 4x4 all the time or just wait till your stuck?  I'm still a little up in the air about doing a full conversion on my van or just doing a lift/larger tires/locker.
I believe the 80 and the 100 share similar 4wd systems. The 100 is always AWD and has a trasfercase shifter for High - Neutral - Low. There is also a button on the dash known as the 'center diff lock' button, which just locks the front and rear drive shafts together as you would expect in 4 High. I have used this feature once on a muddy road. Otherwise I put it in low range which automatically locks the front and rear driveshafts. In Colorado I use low range most of the time since I am usually climbing or descending a steep slope and prefer engine braking over the pedal.

I spent the past weekend enjoying the Rockies with my wife and hound. We headed west to Ouray while the true overlanders across the country were headed east to North Carolina to hang out at the Biltmore. Our goal was to try and capture a few of the remaining fall colors in the high country. The weather was spectacular and even though the high country had some snow we were able to get around. We managed to drive the 'Million Dollar Highway' aka 550 to Silverton, ventured to Animas Forks, drove up California Pass, turned around and headed towards Engineer and went down Mineral Creek back to 550. We then did Owl Creek Pass to Silverjack Reservoir. 1,900 miles in the Cruiser and I noticed a large nail in my tire when we got home.

Here are a few pics of the trip.

Security door at Animas Forks Jail

Headed up California Gulch

California Pass with a white blanket

We made it to the top!

Headed down Mineral Creek

Here I was stopped to pick up trash. There was actually a lot of trash along the trails in comparison to summer.

Owl Creek Pass and Silverjack had a decent amount of color left in the hills

I always seem to bring home nails from Colorado

The trip was short, quick, fun and without drama. If anybody is in Montrose, I highly recommend Horsefly Brewery. My wife and I both thought the food was spectacular. I don't drink, but my wife had one of their craft beers and thought it was great. I did learn that 550 is a much more pleasant drive in a lifted TJ with 35's at 14psi with the sway bar disconnected than a stock Toyota Land Cruiser. The front end dove like crazy in all of the corners, I did not like it.

AirForceOne

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »
That winch mount is trick!  Theft proof and barely noticeable.  The AT3s working well for you?

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
That winch mount is trick!  Theft proof and barely noticeable.  The AT3s working well for you?
I really like the winch mount. For my use of the vehicle, a $1,500 winch bumper was not a practical choice to mount a winch that may get used a few times a year. But they sure look good!

The AT3s are working very well for me. Quiet and smooth on the road and do very well off the pavement. My only complaint is they don't bite hard in slimy or thick mud, but what AT does. I run them on the Cruiser and my 86 MJ and think they are a good match for my use. 

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »
I added some bling to the Cruiser in the form of IPF lights. Since I live down a dark county road that follows a creek, deer and other critters (goats, cattle, dogs, etc) are always roaming the road at night. While I find the stock lights on this vehicle sufficient straight ahead, they fail to illuminate the critters run zone (ditches) sufficiently. I found these used 55w IPF halogens for sale for dirt cheap and jumped on them since I loathe LED color rendering. Since the 100 Series has a plastic Tupperware bumper I had to cobble together a bracket to support these monstrosities.

And installed. I used a Toyota FJ auxiliary light switch for a factory looking installation.

The wife and I drove the Cruiser to Colorado for thanksgiving, about 10 hours each way. Due to the lack of snow we couldn't ski, but I did a little trail running. I was stopped twice by ice on the trail from previous snows melting and freezing. When a 2 ton SUV breaks traction on a narrow trail with a steep grade, you just hang on.

On the return home, about 2 hours from home, I started noticing what felt like a worn out suspension bushing. The problem was I couldn't reliably reproduce the sound or feeling. Nonetheless we made it home in good shape. The following day the Cruiser started running rough, was low on power and the CEL started flashing. Cylinder #3 coil went out....how's that for timing? Replaced the coil, it is back to butter smooth and that weird supposed suspension noise is gone. I am now carrying a spare coil in the glove box :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:15:08 PM by 87Warrior »

AirForceOne

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
Cool beans.  I just pulled the trigger on a 93 FZJ80.  I'll throw up a new thread for it when I get.  Big plans for it's first trip, Florida to Cali along the southern states, Cali up to Alaska, Alaska back south through CO.  Going to build one of those compact expedition style trailers for the trip.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 12:34:29 AM »
Cool beans.  I just pulled the trigger on a 93 FZJ80.  I'll throw up a new thread for it when I get.  Big plans for it's first trip, Florida to Cali along the southern states, Cali up to Alaska, Alaska back south through CO.  Going to build one of those compact expedition style trailers for the trip.

Nice!  The trip sounds awesome too!  When are you heading out?

AirForceOne

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »
The trip is still in the early planning phases.  I work overseas, so at the earliest it will kick off in '18.  Potentially it could be an ultimate honeymoon trip.  Rough plan is about 8 travel days, FL to Cali.  Actually going to park the cruiser in short term storage, and take the Cali to New York train along the scenic route.  My girl has family there, so spend a few days in the NY area.  Fly back to Cali, collect the cruiser and head north.  I haven't mapped the Cali to Alaska route yet, but the plan is to get out to the Knik glacier and spend a couple days in the brush fishing.  Then take the train through the Denali mountains, return to Anchorage, and head south.  Going to cut across Utah/Colorado area and run as many trails as I can, then head on back to Florida.  I'm figuring a full 30 days start to finish.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 01:28:10 AM »
Man that sounds like a phenomenal trip.

The hundy hasn't had much activity, but I did manage to get a few projects done.

Bypassed the factory amp using some 9 wire (I only needed 8) speedwire. It sounds so much better and has more bass definition even without the two 4" subs. That's right. It had 4" subs from the factory.

Well with the factory amp out of the cruiser, I noticed it was about the same size as the Kenwood TM-V71a dualbander ham radio. So I drilled a few new holes in the Toyota amp brackets and put my ham radio under the passenger seat.

The carpet stains are from the previous owner.

Remote head is within easy reach when driving. Used a cat5 pass through for the head control through the console and a variety of Ram mount parts. Mic extension just hangs from the glovebox right now.

External speaker installed above the gas pedal. Not my first choice for location, but I couldn't get it to fit anywhere else.

Installed a Diamond NMO antenna to a Gamiviti hood/fender mount. I wanted to be able to pull into the garage with the antenna attached. I am within 1/2" of hitting the garage door opening.

Looking forward to spending an absurd amount of time with the cruiser in Colorado this year!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:28:57 AM by 87Warrior »

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Well. It happened. The cruiser finally made it past the Toyota 'break-in' period. I made it to 300k miles while exploring Northern OK and Southern KS.

I also installed rear coil spacers and re-indexed the torsion bars for a small lift. The Cooper AT3 tires are at 55k miles and need replaced. My plan is to go a bit taller so the spacers will keep it proportional. Taller tires and the spacers should help keep this big girls rear end from dragging so much.

The only thing I've done in the last year was a pair of Wet Okle seat covers up front to cover up the splitting and cracking leather.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:25:12 PM by 87Warrior »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
How do you keep those front seats so perfect?

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »
How do you keep those front seats so perfect?

I'm going to guess that he uses a shampoo of some sort  ;D

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
Oh christ - I totally missed the comment about the seat covers. I even scroll around to see if I saw something about the seats being replaced. No wonder they look so nice!

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2018, 08:04:20 PM »
Oh christ - I totally missed the comment about the seat covers. I even scroll around to see if I saw something about the seats being replaced. No wonder they look so nice!
Yeah, the leather is toast on the front seats. 245k miles of the previous (original) owner use of tobacco did them in. I tried to save them with Leatherique when I bought the cruiser, but they were too far gone.