Author Topic: Sooo the M5 may be dead  (Read 1763 times)

m5

Sooo the M5 may be dead
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:47:55 PM »
Long time since I posted but I may have recently experienced a death in my automotive family.

I took the M5 into the dealership for a minor transmission issue which is a relatively simple sensor fix. However, while I was there I opted to do a VANOS (variable valve system) diagnostic which revealed several a couple of faults and they found some small metal shavings in my oil. BMW is telling me that I need a new engine ($33k from the factory!) due to rod bearing failure. The dealership ruled out a rebuild stating that they lacked the expertise.

Needless to say I had it towed to an indy for a second opinion, I am hoping they can just replace the rod bearings and flush the lubrication system...fingers crossed. An engine replacement is out of the question as even a second hand one is 10k and that coupled with installation costs exceeds the retail value of the car.

It may be dead...If it is I am going to have to part it out :(

Pray for me

speedy_2

Re: Sooo the M5 may be dead
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
This happened when I had that '98 STS. Except the rod bearing failed so bad it threw the rod through the block.  But, before that happened, it was knocking.  Even the Cadillac dealer and a couple other shops refused to rebuild it.  Not for a lack of expertise, but because they didn't trust replacing one rod bearing and having the rest worn, nor would they even warranty it for 1 mile if they did.  I remember Cadillac wanted $10K for a new engine which was more than the car was worth.  I did end up finding a used engine for $1,700, so I went with that.   But, sounds like BMW stuff is way more expensive! I hope it works out for ya!

m5

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
Update:

So I took the M5 to an Indy that one of my friends swears by. He basically said the dealership is full of Sh$t. Some of the symptoms were consistent with rod bearing failure but an analysis of the oil revealed very little metal. He said the bottom end of the motor is most likely fine and that the VANOS codes were probably caused by malfunctioning high pressure oil lines which are realatively easy to replace.

They road tested the car under specific rev zones etc and the engine did not throw any significant codes nor did it give any indication that the bottom end was about to quit. They are going to diagnose the VANOS next week and they anticipate that it will be a relatively reasonable repair. I may splurge and have them replace the rod bearings anyway for piece of mind but it looks like she will be back on the road soon.

Which is good because this is the best all around car I have ever owned. I always told myself that I would trade it in when something better comes along...thus far that had not happened 😀

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »
I tend to be a fan of "don't fix it if it ain't broke". Not sure swapping out the rod bearings is a good idea unless you have a reason to believe they're bad.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

m5

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
Rod bearings are a known area of weakness on this engine, some say that S85 rod bearings should be replaced at 50-60K miles.

Obviously this is subjective, the common theory is that the tolerances on the rod bearings are too tight for the oil (10W-60) at cold temps. This causes premature wear of the bearings especially if the engine is stressed before it reaches full operating temp.

I think the rod bearing replacement may be worth it, especially if I plan on keeping it...I have had the car for 9 years...it is like my child!

AirForceOne

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
Rod bearings are a known area of weakness on this engine, some say that S85 rod bearings should be replaced at 50-60K miles.

Obviously this is subjective, the common theory is that the tolerances on the rod bearings are too tight for the oil (10W-60) at cold temps. This causes premature wear of the bearings especially if the engine is stressed before it reaches full operating temp.

I think the rod bearing replacement may be worth it, especially if I plan on keeping it...I have had the car for 9 years...it is like my child!

Oh fuck that.  Timing belt sure, rod bearings?  Fuck off BMW!  Lord and I want to buy so bad because of the 'cheaper' Bangle butt buy in.