Author Topic: Diet Restrictions  (Read 2144 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Diet Restrictions
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
I'm sympathetic to the fact that diet restrictions must absolutely SUCK for the people who suffer from them, but the selfish part of me is just fucking irritated beyond belief after dealing with so many picky diets over the holidays. And I'm not necessarily mad at the people (except in two cases), but god damn I just need to blow off some steam.

Keep in mind that each of the people I'm about to mention is party to every family dinner we've had over the past 3 weeks.

1. Sister in-law Carrie:
Lactose intolerant, also suffering from an ulcer so can't have any acidic foods.

2. Sister in-law Marianne: vegetarian, won't eat food that's even touched meat.

3. Cousin in-law Caitie: Anti-Gluten because she believes it's bad for you

4. Caitie's dad Denny: also anti-gluten for the same reason, anti-processed foods, anti-pasteurized milk, anti-store-bought anything if possible to not buy it from the store.

So in most cases the family tries to be as inclusive as possible, meaning when we share a meal, EVERY dish has to be something EVERY person can enjoy.

Do you know of a non-dairy, non-acidic, non-meat, gluten free dish?

Holy FUCK.

I was raised to believe that if I had an exception to the standard, it was my responsibility to take care of myself. Meaning, if I had a food restriction but the 15 other people at dinner did not, I would fucking bring my own dish, and not be offended if nobody else wanted any of it. Instead we get the lecture from Caitie and Denny about why you should remove gluten from your diet and reduce sodium to nearly non-existent levels and "yeah there's milk, if you LIKE 2% store bought stuff". Marianne is ok about her vegetarianism but sometimes she'll comment on the meats "That's SO GROSS" and it drives me up the wall.

We basically ignore Denny because we know he's wrong about pasteurized milk, but we can't convince Caitie she's wrong about gluten, we can't convince Marianne that eating meat isn't a sin, and we can't do anything about Carries food intolerances.

I'm just so fucking tired of these shared meals, I just want to eat and enjoy food but I've got to eat this low fat, dairy free, gluten free BULLSHIT because for some reason it's too hard to simply make an additional dish that those few people will eat.

Worse still is that even in the cases we do have meat, dairy and gluten filled foods available, we have to constantly listen to the bullshit reasons why gluten is so bad for you or what pasteurized milk is basically garbage or why these fucking fad hipster diets are how we ALL should eat.

I swear next family dinner I'm bringing a meat lovers pizza with extra cheese and pineapple.

Rant over. I feel better.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:39:24 PM by 00XJ »

Screw-Rice

Re: Diet Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »
I could deal with lactose intolerant, and having an ulcer since it wasn't really a decision they chose. Known a few people that are lactose intolerant and it varies a lot on symptoms. So I may make a marginal effort to make a dish. All the others can eat a dick and bring their own food. Even then I wouldn't tolerate the stupid comments.

If someone wants to eat a certain way, go for it, but don't ruin what I like or comment on it. I think a biproduct of being a vegetarian is the inability to STFU about how you're a vegetarian.

If you take pics of you bringing and eating a pizza in front of them, I'll pay for it! :lol: 

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:28:49 PM »
THis crap drives me nuts as well.

One good example though.

This woman I was in the Navy with was a vegan.  Can't remember if it was by choice or not. But she would bring her own stuff, even to a BBQ.  She would bring her veggie burgers.  And we never heard her preach. NO ONCE.  She was very cool.

Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »
I have ALL the food allergies. I'm pretty sure I bitched about it on here at least once when the last tests were done in 2006ish and I came back positive on everything. I just worked backwards until ending up on a diet which basically consists solely of raw meat (muscle & organ) and raw fat. If it ain't broke don't fix it; nothing else worked for me. All that said I don't expect anyone to make accommodations for me at any meals. If I want to eat I bring something. Anything less is awfully presumptuous on the visitor's part.

FWIW, my whole family has extensive dietary restrictions between food allergies and intolerances. When we do holidays my mother just makes things that work for everyone. From the outside it might look like more work  but once you know the adjustments that need to be done it's easy. It's when people show up and start demanding things out of the blue that they're going hungry.

Now for a bit o' the preach.
Gluten is inflammatory but so are many things. It's not a bad idea to cut it out but shoveling your face full of gluten-free grain products negates much of the benefit.
Raw milk is exponentially healthier than pasteurized.
I could go on for days on nutrition, etc. but I don't unless asked. I've had to learn a whole lot about food to survive.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:12:45 PM »
About 1% of the population has celiac disease, and less than 6% have gluten intolerance. There is not scientific fact to suggest that gluten is harmful in any way to your average person. That is a myth propagated by the alternative foods industry which, as you may have noticed, has been shamelessly trying to destroy ordinary food markets. The reason people often feel better on a gluten free diet isn't always because they're getting less gluten, but because they're having less junk foods than they were before, since junk foods are typically synonymous with gluten. It's not because they're eating less gluten, it's because they cut a package of Oreos a day out of their diet. Know what I mean?

And raw milk IS NOT "exponentially" healthier for you. It's telling that doctors and nutritionists recommend pasteurized milk, while raw milk is typically hawked by alternative food proponents with little to no actual scientific data to support their claims. I'm sorry, I'll take it from the folks who spent years in school before I listen to someone who just did a Google search for "why raw milk is better for you", which is precisely what most raw-milk proponents tend to be.

Regardless, to each their own, I'm just fucking sick of being "food shamed".
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:26:38 PM by 00XJ »

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:05:15 PM »
I have both allergies and I'm a picky eater. And I either don't eat at all or I bring my own shit. I don't preach. I don't care. You know what pisses me off? When someone DEMANDS to know WHY I don't WANT something. BECAUSE I DON'T. FUCKING. WANT IT. If you keep putting that nasty piece of whatever the fuck it is in my face I'm going to grab you by the jaw and force it down your fucking throat until you choke on your own vomit.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:10 PM »
I have both allergies and I'm a picky eater. And I either don't eat at all or I bring my own shit. I don't preach. I don't care. You know what pisses me off? When someone DEMANDS to know WHY I don't WANT something. BECAUSE I DON'T. FUCKING. WANT IT. If you keep putting that nasty piece of whatever the fuck it is in my face I'm going to grab you by the jaw and force it down your fucking throat until you choke on your own vomit.

I get that too. They like zucchini with fucking every meal and I hate it. Or nuts and beets in salad. Or roasts, or wheat muffins, etc. I don't like the taste of any of that stuff but the sisters always ask why I don't want it. I'm trying to be politely covertly just not taking the stuff I don't like but they force me to say it out loud.

Screw-Rice

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
Can't say I've had people ask me multiple times why I don't want something, seems pretty damn rude to me. Then again, I get told I am not exactly friendly if I have to repeat myself. :lol:

Can't think of anyone I know who tries food shaming others or anything. As I've gotten older I have become far less tolerant of those who annoy me, doesn't matter if it's friends or family. If it becomes a chore to talk to them, then I don't bother. Life is a lot easier when you get rid of pest.

speedy_2

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »

I'm very picky. I get this from people too and it drives me nuts.  Why do you care so much WHY I don't want something?

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
I don't like pizza. Saying that somehow invites a 20 minute conversation about why I don't like it. I don't know, because it fucking tastes bad?

At this point, since the surgery in August, half to more of my normal diet now tastes like burnt hair or metal, and it has bled into my sense of smell. So I pretty much only eat like 4 things now.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »
YOU DONT LIKE PIZZA?!

Yeah that's unusual, don't think I've met many people who don't like pizza, but you know what? I don't like fish or other seafood, and people just can't understand it. So I feel you on that.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:25 AM »
I love crab. But if you come to the house I'm not gonna fuckin serve you crab then get asshurt when you politely decline.

It's really simple, and yet.