Author Topic: Sony unlocks 7th CPU core for PS4, plans to allow remote play with PC and Mac  (Read 2583 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Well color me interested.

An additional processing core isn't really a major deal, might see slight improvements in performance...

...but streaming to PC? That's pretty cool. Means, if you have a strong enough internet connection, you can plop down with your laptop and play your PS4 games.

Now all they need to do is enable backward compatibility, and we're all set.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/27/sony-official-ps4-remote-play-pc-windows-and-mac/

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Pretty sure this only came about because some guy made an unofficial app on his own: http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/24/ps4-to-pc-remote-play/. I can only assume they send him a cease and desist but I haven't followed any of the story.

On the topic of backwards compatibility, it won't happen. 100% sure. They're providing the ability to play old gen games on the PSNow service. They will never give us emulation to play physical copies of old gen games on the console. They want to milk every dollar they can.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

I really hate this kind of crap. I remember the PS3 used to let you install another OS.  Then they took that away.  I hate that my fat PS3 died.  It was backwards compatible.  I now have a slim, but all of my older games just sit and collect dust now.  I can understand controlling newer content, but why limit a machine from playing something that they've already milked to death anyway? And, a lot of the PS2 & PS1 games aren't going to be put on the PSNow service unless they were popular. 

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Just so you're aware, they make PS1 and PS2 emulators. They also have shaders that make the games look even better. :)

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Wait....play PS4 games on a PC....why not just skip the middle man and play Sony exclusives on a PS4 and multiplats on a PC? Seems backward to use a sufficiently powerful PC to remotely play Playstation games....maybe I'm missing part of it?
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Wait....play PS4 games on a PC....why not just skip the middle man and play Sony exclusives on a PS4 and multiplats on a PC? Seems backward to use a sufficiently powerful PC to remotely play Playstation games....maybe I'm missing part of it?

Well, in theory, you're streaming the game and therefore not using GPU power to play. The processing is done on the PS4 while you play. Unless I'm not understanding it correctly...

PS4 already has a share play feature, where let's say you've got a PS4, but you DONT have MGS V, and you want to try it.

So, you and I get on our PS4's, I put MGS V in the machine and then enable share play - you can, from your machine, play my game, without having a disc or having it installed, until I end the share play session.

So the tech is already there. Now they're just making it so you can access your PS4 from anywhere. Imagine sitting in an airport (if the wifi were strong enough) and playing your PS4 games. Or going to a friends house and wanting to show him a game or whatever, leave the PS4 at home and just stream it to his crappy laptop.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Right. That's the general idea, Nick.

Microsoft has (or will have? I'm not 100% sure) this technology with the Xbox One + Windows 10.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Ah ok....if M$ does it with Windows 10 I wonder how it will turn out....does Windows 10 suck?

His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Haven't used it yet. I need to upgrade my work laptop. From what I've heard, it's pretty similar to Windows 8 except they've added a native start menu again and there's a few other minor improvements.

By the way, just another reasoning for this technology - if someone is using the TV where your console is but you're just fuckin' dying to play a game, you could stream the game to your computer.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Only bad things I've heard about 10 really is how "integrated" it is, like, the potential for spying is HUGE when compared to 7.

speedy_2

I did the upgrade to 10 a few months ago.

Aus G73S Laptop with SSD systems drive.  Instant speed difference vs Windows 7.  I like the look of it, and it doesn't "feel" much different. 

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
You would have had the same speed difference with Windows 8. Windows 8 is so fucking smooth and, once you fix the start menu issue with a third party program for $3, it's fantastic.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
I didn't think about the streaming to a laptop display factor, that would make life easier for me since my wife could use the TV for Netflix while I was gaming.

His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Yup. Surprisingly, Nintendo started it with the Wii U and their gamepad with the screen on it. The system launched with remote play. You can wirelessly play a game on the gamepad instead of requiring the TV.