Author Topic: PC to TV wirelessly  (Read 1404 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
PC to TV wirelessly
« on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:17 PM »
Long story short:
Wife's laptop is shit, so we want to use my PC to stream TV shows (AMC.com, abc.com, etc.

My PC is hard wired to Internet. We do have a wireless router.

TV has only two HDMI inputs, and they are both taken up by the PS3 and PS4. My PC will end up in another room eventually anyway.

TV has a USB input.

What device, if any, will allow me to push what's on my computer screen to my TV?

I'm basically looking for either an output from my video card that'll send to a USB device for the TV, or a USB receiver that will pick up wifi, and a program that will send anything, including Internet, from my PC to that USB receiver.

I'm sorta new to this. School me.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: PC to TV wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
You don't want USB. It's too slow. I wouldn't trust it anyway. If it even is an actual video input, it's intended for mobile devices.

Buy a HDMI switcher and run an HDMI cable right to the TV. They're not very expensive and it will get the job done. They even come with an IR receiver and a remote so you don't even have to get up to do anything.

You said you plan to move the PC eventually so the HDMI switcher obviously won't work long-term. You can also try using a Chromecast (do you have one? why don't you have one?) and their "cast tab" feature in Chrome although it's in beta (probably forever) and isn't perfect. It takes a decent computer (I know yours isn't very old) and sometimes some shit can get out of sync.

That's really it. Wireless video still hasn't come very far and what does exist is very expensive and shitty. I would get both the HDMI switcher and Chromecast. The switcher will work for sure and is the very best solution if the PC is in close proximity where you can run a cable to the TV. The Chromecast is just awesome, inexpensive, and could potentially be a solution for once you move the PC.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
I only have a PS3 so I'm not sure what the capabilities of the PS4 are.  But, can the PS4 stream video on those sites with its own browser?  I know the PS3 browser was crap, but not sure if the PS4 is improved.  Just a thought.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »
PS4 browser isn't much better but I don't have much experience with it. Worth a shot but I wouldn't count on it.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:01:59 AM »
I tried loading AMC.com's player to watch Walking Dead, it loaded the player and gave me the "loading video" animation but never played... So I'm guessing it's not possible.

I'll look into Chromecast... And I'll get an HDMI switcher. Maybe I can fix my wife's laptop so it'll play video for more than 8 minutes without turning into a slideshow.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Do you have netflix and such via your PS3 or PS4? I use my Xboner as our default way to Netflix and Youtube.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.