Author Topic: [Movie] Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 5294 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
[Movie] Mad Max: Fury Road
« on: May 22, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
Fury Road is the 4th installment to the Mad Max series, after a 30 year hiatus. For those who haven't seen them, the Mad Max series is set in a post-apocalyptic world where resources are scarce and wars are fought over them. 

Fury Road opens to our propagandist Max (played by Tom Hardy) desperate, hungry, and completely isolated as he struggles to survive. Max is abducted by a gang of ravaging genetic mishaps called the War Boys, who are led by notorious cult master Immortan Joe:

I'll cut out some details to avoid spoilers, but Max winds up meeting Imperator Furiosa (played by Charlize Theron) and the two decide to fight back against Joe's cult and all the tyranny that surrounds them.

What follows are a series of the best car chases I've ever seen. It's not just car chases though..the whole thing is an absolute assault on your senses. It's loud, visceral, vulgar, ridiculous, and surprisingly deep. The movie is 2 hours of seemingly non-stop frenetic movement that makes your heart race. I was sweating when the movie ended. Each of the characters has unique qualities that make you want to know more about them. They're each emotional, and learning more about themselves as the plot progresses.

But back to the cars.  This is the Gigahorse. It's piloted by one of the cult leaders and featured quite prominently.

Insane right?  It doesn't hold a candle riding into battle next to the Doof Wagon.  The Doof Wagon is a Tatra 8x8 military vehicle converted to battle music machine. On the back are four bass drummers hammering away throughout the movie. On the front is the Coma (the Doof Warrior) playing a 130lb guitar made of bedpans that shoots flames activated by the whammy bar.  Seriously..it's functional.

It's hard to write a short review of this movie because there's simply so much going on. I'll cut to the chase and simply say it's one of the best, if not the best, action move I've ever seen.  It's incredible.  I've not experienced an action movie that simultaneously overloads your senses while asking so many questions. The visuals are like nothing that's ever been done before. The musical score is brilliant, and paces along with the visuals. The acting is excellent from all the major characters, even though the dialogue was minimal.

10/10 seriously go see this movie.  I am going again this weekend.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: [Movie] Mad Max: Fury Road
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
I had a hard on the entire film except for the lame ending....seriously, they took the best part of Road Warrior (one of my all time favorite movies) and turned it into an entire film....would have been cool if they could have gotten Mel Gibson to be one of the villains...maybe the Gas Town or Bullet Farm leader...
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
What a fucking awesome movie. Probably the best action movie I've ever seen, full stop.

I mean, not only were the action sequences just mind blowingly awesome, intense, nail biting etc, but they put SO much thought into ever little thing about the movie.

I mean, the "Buzzards" cars that all had spikes on them... It wasn't just to look cool, it was practical because in this post apocalyptic war zone, dudes be climbin' on yo shit, you know? Gotta keep them off somehow. It just made sense.

There was so much attention to detail. The little latch that locks down the accelerator pedals at full throttle, squirting extra fuel into the intakes, pouring water over the super chargers to cool them off, hell even ripping doors off the vehicles to stick under the tires and get out of the mud - whoever was in charge of the vehicles knows their shit and it was SO satisfying to finally see some at least mostly accurate bullshittery going on with vehicles in a movie.

I also loved how being a "driver" was basically a religious calling for the War Boys... with their own personal steering wheels and everything. Just fantastic.

I can't say enough about this movie, it's just incredible. Best movie I've seen in a long, long time, and although it slows down for a little too long during a stretch before the final big action sequence, the action sequences deliver in every way imaginable, and THEN some.

You HAVE to see this movie.

10/10

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:57:36 AM »
WITNESS ME!

Going to see this again tomorrow!

His name was Meatywand.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
I went again yesterday. I enjoyed it just as much the second time, and caught a LOT more details. 

Everything is V8. V8s are wonderful and seem to have magical power in this hellscape. Where do the warboys want to go? Valhalla (V-word, 8 letters). The name of the clan  of women? The Vuvalini. The leader of the clan? Valkyrie. The brand/tattoo on Nux's chest/abs? A V8 engine. The camaraderie hand symbol/gesture the Warboys use? 8 interlocked fingers.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
I just love the subtle (or not so subtle) commentary about going to war over resources, but absolutely WASTING those very same resources in order to go to war.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »
I just love the subtle (or not so subtle) commentary about going to war over resources, but absolutely WASTING those very same resources in order to go to war.

Or Immortan Joe lecturing his people on the scarcity of water, then opening floodgates on a reservoir and dumping thousands of gallons onto the sand.

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
Saw it opening day in 2D.  Had to see it again, went with my room mate and saw 3d.  In 3d, there is so much going on in most scenes (even the 2nd time through), that its hard to notice a difference.  The Guitar and steering wheel flying out at you towards the end was really the only noticeable 3d effect.

It did slow down for a bit when they got out of the mud and met up with the mothers, but I feel it was needed.  For that whole hour there was sooo fucking much awesome that needed to be processed that I welcomed the slow point.

10/10. 

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
Saw it again this past weekend with some friends in 3d...holy shit is this movie awesome...WITNESS ME!

His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
Just came back from my second viewing... still just as amazing as the first time. WHY IS THIS MOVIE SO GOOD?

P.S. Go here and read the reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-710-5521-Silver-Color-Mist/dp/B005KTVG86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433038759&sr=8-2&keywords=edible+spray+paint

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:03:34 AM »
Oh my god I love internet humor armies :lol:

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
Oh my god I love internet humor armies :lol:

Oh man :lol:
Oh what a spray! What a lovely spray!

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
Aw they deleted a bunch of them!

One of them was from a user named "Immortan Joe", his rating was "MEDIOCRE"

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:21 AM »
Finally put 2 and 2 together the other day...Joe was played by the same actor that played Toecutter in Mad Max.

WITNESS

His name was Meatywand.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
Anyone else heard the theory that Bane's sparse spoken lines and excessive grunts are because he's actually not the "real" Max, rather he's the Feral Child from Road Warrior at some point between meeting the real Max and becoming the leader of the Great Northern Tribe? I think that's a neat idea but not really feasible, because if the Feral escaped to the coast with a successful tribe why would he return to the Wasteland? But it does make slight sense in the way he tells Furiosa his name is Max, like he's very hesitant and trying it on for the first time. Would also explain the Interceptor being back, maybe he found one and fixed it up like Max's.

Also, fun fact, the Doof Warrior had a functional amp under him and he was shredding old school Metallica and Sepultura and shit all the time.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:04:01 AM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
George Miller has straight up said that he threw continuity to the wind, in fact he can't even keep track of the continuity between the first 3 movies. He intended Fury Road to basically be just another story from the Wasteland featuring Max, not a sequel, not a reboot, just an isolated story. So yeah i don't really buy into any of the fan theories about the Interceptor or Max himself.

The reason for his sparse speech, though, I think was intended to be a result of the time he's spent wandering the desert alone, combined with his descent into madness.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
George Miller has straight up said that he threw continuity to the wind, in fact he can't even keep track of the continuity between the first 3 movies. He intended Fury Road to basically be just another story from the Wasteland featuring Max, not a sequel, not a reboot, just an isolated story. So yeah i don't really buy into any of the fan theories about the Interceptor or Max himself.

The reason for his sparse speech, though, I think was intended to be a result of the time he's spent wandering the desert alone, combined with his descent into madness.

Yeah that's how I feel about it as well, but it does show what a rich world Miller created that all these theories arise and sorta make sense. Also, one of the wives had a music box, didn't notice that until my second watch. I want to get an Immortan Joe costume, easily the most intimidating flabby bad guy I've ever seen :lol: My tattoos would clash with the see through armor too much though. But we decided that after the haunt finishes its current Asylum run, we're going full post Apocalypse!

His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:41:39 AM »
Dude a post-apocalypse haunt would be AMAZING. Instead of ghosts and demons and zombies, you'd just have some really fucking evil, vile people.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
I used to work in one themed as a factory after the fall of society, we had mutants, zombies (this was before the mainstream zombie craze) cultists Mad Max style raiders (me and muh spikes and a couple of the other Knight costumes left over from the castle haunt the Factory replaced that I helped rework) and members of the Military that had been sent during the fall to secure the factory (it was a nuclear plant or arms factory...can't remember) but went native when the shit hit the fan...it was a blast because we could go absolutely nuts on the room designs and costumes, nothing really "had" to make sense.

His name was Meatywand.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
I'm so disappointed the XB didn't have a bigger role :(

Also a few things that don't jive with the earlier ones:

(click to show/hide)

That said, VERY good movie, but not sure I'd really call it 'Mad Max"

Edit:  Looks like the script for a possible sequel was already be written...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:53:36 PM by Scotty »
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48:37 PM »
Max had a son in the original, not a daughter, the girl is explained in one of the prequel comics that Miller wrote.

His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:54 AM »
I'm so disappointed the XB didn't have a bigger role :(

Also a few things that don't jive with the earlier ones:

(click to show/hide)

That said, VERY good movie, but not sure I'd really call it 'Mad Max"

Edit:  Looks like the script for a possible sequel was already be written...

It's a reboot despite Miller refusing to call it that... and, it's not necessarily a reboot in the traditional sense, as it in doesn't start back at the beginning. Most reboots begin with an original story.

Miller has been thinking of a female Mad Max protagonist since the 80's, it's pretty clear to me that Fury Road was meant to be Furiosa's movie, but reintroducing the Mad Max universe to the cinema world without Mad Max would have been a big let down to most.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:05:43 AM »
Nah, if you go back and watch the original 3, Mad Max is the only one that specifically focuses mainly on Max. Road Warrior and Thunderdome are just sort of "this shit happened, this guy Max was there, this is that shit". Max generally isn't the center of the story, he's just an observer of the world around him and I think Miller nailed that with the Furiosa/Max relationship in Fury Road. Also, the planned sequel was to be Mad Max: Furiosa, but its been changed to Mad Max: The Wasteland, so likely it's going to continue the whole "day in the life as seen by Max" perspective 3 of the 4 movies have thus far had. That's why Miller can play so free and loose with continuity and characters and in a meta respect with actors, The Gyro Pilot from Road Warrior shows up as a Crop Duster Pilot in Thunderdome and there is no indication Max knows him either time, same way the same actor has played Toecutter and Immortan Joe.

Also, on the blanket on the ground next to the Interceptor at the beginning...was that a metal dog bowl or just a metal bowl? I was kinda hoping to see the dog's bad ass return since he was fantastic in Road Warrior and it still pisses me the fuck off every time I rewatch it and that asshole ganks him with the crossbow.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:07:56 AM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.