Author Topic: Does everyone's Roku stream slowly?  (Read 3247 times)

NVmySSmaro

Does everyone's Roku stream slowly?
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:21:04 PM »
I've had a Roku for awhile, just never really used it until SlingTV came out, which made me really like my Roku, for a few minutes. Anyway, it's been streaming pretty poorly. Partly because I have such slow DSL. When I use SlingTV on the Roku, it streams about 1/3 to 1/4 of the available bandwidth, when I use Sling TV on my laptop, same connection, it uses probably 2/3 to full bandwidth. Does anyone else have this problem? My Roku is up to date, it's an older model, Roku 2 XS, maybe it just sucks and I should get a new box? The connection tests full speed or close to it on speed test. I monitor my data usage at the router with NetWorx and watch the KB/s and see that the Roku uses less data, even when more is available. I have the bandwidth set on medium, so it should be asking for 1.2 mbps, which should be there most all the time. I've tried the Roku wired and wireless, but it acts the same. I've tried a soft reset, it maybe improved a little for a few minutes, but the speeds settled right back to where it was before. I've saved graphs showing data usage while I'm gaming on the PS3 and browsing between matches, I've got full bandwidth when I use Youtube and it showed a pretty steady connection, but just the Roku is lower and slower than everything else. Any ideas?

The block on the left is PS3 and random browsing between matches. Oh, and MW3 doesn't hardly take any data during matches, I was surprised.
The more steady block in the middle is youtube.
The last block, which is literally seconds after youtube, is Roku/SlingTV. Oh, and that was at a higher stream rate than it normally is.

Then this is shortly later, still SlingTV on the Roku, but it slowed back down to it's normal pace, which is poor and uneven.

Maverick

• Beast Within
Re: Does everyone's Roku stream slowly?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:55:33 AM »
Your DSL is god awful. Holy shit!

Depends on the service you're streaming from, friend. I also think ISPs like to actively throttle when nobody is looking.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

NVmySSmaro

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:12:42 AM »
Your DSL is god awful. Holy shit!

Depends on the service you're streaming from, friend. I also think ISPs like to actively throttle when nobody is looking.

I was streaming through the Roku from SlingTV, it's put on by DishNetwork. www.sling.com, I love the idea, but my internet doesn't allow me to take advantage of it.

I know, it's freaking miserable, it's my only real choice. I can't use Satellite or "broadband" through a cell company, as the data limits are just far far far too low. So Centurylink is my only option, and 1.5 mbps is the best I can get, it's been like this since I got the service. I haven't had an upgrade in 5 years. I've searched every other internet service I can think of, or find. There are several wireless services, but none service my area. I've researched Fixed Wireless, nothing covers me, though Dish and Ntelos have teamed up for a somewhat local service, but it's a line of sight service, and I don't have line of sight of shit outside of my own yard. I'm in a hole, behind some hills, surrounded by trees. I've researched White Space internet, which there is a test service going on in Claudville Va, but it's just a test, and nothing to help me. I've searched and searched, I've called companies, I've begged companies, but no one wants to cover this area. I have shit going on in all directions all around me, but nothing to service me. FUCK internet. Since I posted this, my DSL has become even more crappy, I can't complete a speed test at speedtest.net a lot of the time. I've called CenturyLink many times, there have no interest in helping me, and have over sold the area, so busy times are just so busy that it barely works. I've even searched and called about a T1 line, it may not be any faster, but it's guaranteed speed, but at 200 a month, it just isn't worth it. I don't know what else to do.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:16:19 AM by NVmySSmaro »

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:36:59 AM »
Time to move?  :dunno:

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

NVmySSmaro

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
Time to move?  :dunno:

I wish. I hate people, here, I don't really have to see people. I don't hear my neighbors and can't really see them.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
I may have to check this Roku out...

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »
I may have to check this Roku out...

If you want one, let me know. I've got a Roku 2 XS here that I don't use anymore.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS