Author Topic: Jeep Audio  (Read 4557 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Jeep Audio
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »
I am in need of some help. Need to replace the stereo headunit in two Jeeps, 2006 Grand Cherokee (2DIN) as the stock unit has begun to fail, and also in my 86 Comanche (Single DIN). I thought browsing for a unit with my needs in mind would be easy, but there are far to many options out there.

Requirements 2006 Grand:
- Nav
- Bluetooth capable (for playing music from a phone)
- CD (wife's requirement  ::))
- Touch screen
- Will be used with factory speakers/wiring

Requirements 1986 Comanche:
- Bluetooth (for playing music from a phone) or Ipod adapter
- Durable
- Simple interface without flashy lights
- AMC wiring, I expect to run my own wiring through the cab

Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Re: Jeep Audio
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm interested in this myself.  I need to replace the system in my Cherokee.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
Good luck finding a head unit that wasn't designed by a slot machine company.

I've never found one that wasn't obnoxious in some way, from demo modes that can't be turned off, to annoying beeps every time you shut the vehicle off if you don't remove the faceplate, to clocks that don't display unless the radio is powered on.

Gremlin

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »
The 1986 Jeep might need a radio kit. I got one off EBay for my 1977 Gremlin and worked will with 1970s wiring.

Link for my Gremlin. However even American Motors updated things for the years, so this link is more to your taste. Installer.com for Jeep.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Good luck finding a head unit that wasn't designed by a slot machine company.

I've never found one that wasn't obnoxious in some way, from demo modes that can't be turned off, to annoying beeps every time you shut the vehicle off if you don't remove the faceplate, to clocks that don't display unless the radio is powered on.

Yeah, there's not much room there either.  There are two vents so you can't get a fold out GPS/Map unit, or a big map/GPS unit.  Below it are the climate controls, so it's kind of wedged in there.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
Yeah I had an Alpine in my XJ, pretty tight fit surprisingly given how big the factory unit seems to be. I just installed it in my Silverado and I think I could have fit my desktop computer, case and all in that slot :lol:

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »
Yeah I had an Alpine in my XJ, pretty tight fit surprisingly given how big the factory unit seems to be. I just installed it in my Silverado and I think I could have fit my desktop computer, case and all in that slot :lol:

:lol:  I'm going to take mine in to a shop and see what they suggest for some type of integrated system for audio and GPS.  I doubt they'll have anything that will fit in it.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
Over the years, I have seen a few folks swap the radio and HVAC controls around in the 96 and older XJs. This gave them room to install a radio with a flip out screen. That is the direction I don't want to go. I have never seen a nav radio worth a damn on the trail so I will continue to use Back Country Navigator.

Finding a radio that doesn't look like Vegas is proving to be difficult, for both Jeeps.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
I think I'm going to have them look at rearranging my control area.  I have a big open area beneath my rear wiper and defrost button, so they can drop it down as well as my AC controls to fit in a bigger radio I hope.  Going to talk to them on Monday about it.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:13 PM »
Ok, so they said they can do a little trimming and not move a thing.  I am going with an in-dash navigation unit with bluetooth so I can call out using my speakers and a mic attached to my radio.  That'll give me a good hands free unit as well as navi, since I road trip in this vehicle a lot.  Fortunately we got a bonus, and I never count on getting one, or count them as my salary, so it's largely disposable.  The only thing I have slated for it is this and tires for the T/A so I should have some left over even.