Author Topic: jeep cherokee front end work  (Read 1304 times)

Turd Ferguson

jeep cherokee front end work
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
I'm going to be replacing the front wheelbearing/hub assembly tomorrow. It's an 89 and I don't know how old some of the related parts are so I'm also doing u-joints on the axles,axle seals,pads/rotors,and ball joints. Seems pretty straightforward,but renting the ball joint press from autozone seems sketchy from the researching I've done. I guess it cocks the press at an angle with the spacers that come with the kit. I'm renting an additional kit for "4wds" and hope that covers it. Anyone have any personal experience with that? Even if some of these parts are still "good" i'm doing them anyway because I think it would be stupid to tear this far into it and risk them failing in the next couple years. We've had the jeep since April of 2008.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: jeep cherokee front end work
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
The Jeep ball joints do not sit perpendicular to both sides of the knuckle. The 4wd cup kit won't be angled. I've never found a place that rents the Jeep specifications cup kit, so I bit the bullet at bought the OTC kit.

However, you CAN use the basic 4wd cups with success. You will need either a thick washer or small piece of metal to make up the difference on the knuckle. This is how I first did ball joints on my TJ. It is a royal pain in the ass.

I've done 7 sets of Jeep ball joints with a Harbor Freight ball joint press and it is still kicking. The OTC cups make the job soooo much easier.

Turd Ferguson

Re: jeep cherokee front end work
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
I got it done. The lower ball joints were fine. The uppers I definitely had to fuck with several times even with a washer/spacer to try to get them to go in straight. Less cussing and throwing shit than I thought would happen,but I think that's just part of me getting older. The jeep drives so much better now,especially on the freeway. The driver side bearing was shot. The other one I think was getting towards the end of it's life. The grease in the u-joints was starting to get that old dry look and were not greasable.