Author Topic: H1Z1  (Read 2354 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
H1Z1
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:34:48 PM »
Anyone tried this out yet?

It's basically a somewhat stripped down DayZ, except far less broken.

I have seen a lot of YouTube videos on it, looked fun, so i gave it a go. Right from my very first moments, I spotted a farm in the distance. With about 3 zombies chasing me, i ran to the farm. As i got close i could hear voices, there were people in one of the houses. i managed to shake the zombies, then hid behind a car from the people in the house. I listened in for a while, then eventually went inside to make my presence known. My mic is broken so I just had to signal with gestures. They were friendly and i followed them around looting places. We left the house and heard gun shots in the distance. someone was shooting at us, so we all ran into a house and hunkered down for several minutes until we finally decided to sneak out the back and down the hill.

Finally night time came and we started a camp fire in the woods after collecting berries. That's where I had to stop, but man, that is the epitome of emergent gameplay.

i can see myself spending far too much time playing this game. Just have to get my mic working now.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: H1Z1
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:40:45 PM »
Hard to believe the game is only in alpha, right?

I haven't played it (hell, I probably won't -- I really don't do the online thing) but I have watched some people stream it and it looks a lot easier to play than DayZ.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
Sure seems to be. I didn't play for long, but everything seems to be working correctly. Combat is responsive, but there it lag. Hit detection is about average for an online game, I imagine the net code is one of their main focuses.

I've seen enough DayZ to know that game is a broken mess. When it works, it looks awesome, but weapons, combat, and animations are all glitchy in that game. Not to mention the zombies constantly clipping through solid objects, spawning out of thin air, or simply not taking damage.

H1Z1 may not be as complex, but I think it's better for it. You can play the game as its meant to be played NOW, while they work on the bigger picture items.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »
Ok, wow... spent some time in the game tonight with a proper headset. Incredible experience.

Started out near a little motel. Went searching the rooms, heard a door open and footsteps. I crept into a corner and hit, just waiting. He was searching room by room and would eventually find me. I couldn't run, he'd hear me. I had no weapons so if he did, I was dead. Finally I just called out to him, saying I was friendly. He found me and hacked me to death with a machette.

Second spawn, found a farm house, began searching through it. Heard breathing next to me as I was raiding a fridge, turned around to see a wolf there. Managed to punch it to death but not before it took me down to 10% health.

Eventually met up with a few other players, wandered off with one and we came across a player in a truck and another player wandering around outside of it. I offered my car battery I was carrying, they were speaking in another language and got out and killed me and the player I was with.

Third spawn, eventually ran across another player, we ran together for a while raiding houses and trying to find a safe place.

Found a hand gun and a hunting rifle, killed a bear, ate some bear steak, chopped down some trees, purified water over the camp fire.. Made our way north to some buildings we spotted from the mountain.

Got down there and decided to fill our water bottles in the lake. Saw some players emerging from the buildings so we ran away, but the shot us both dead. We spent nearly two hours together, helping each other out, and that was the end. I don't even know what his name was.

What a game.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
I wonder if this shit would run on my ragged old lap top...sounds really interesting...
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
It sure can be. It's not perfect and the other players can ruin the experience, but it's definitely worth trying. You need at least Windows 7 x64 to run it, not sure on actual system specs.

I'm currently holed up in an abandoned Home Depot type store. Came across a guy with a well built fortress who ran me off at gun point, found the store and looted it, got some food and a pistol - a 1911. That's where I shut the game off. When I get back in tonight I'm going to make an attempt on that fort I was chased away from. He was alone and there were no doors. If I can kill him, I'll get his shotgun which will be a game changer for future player encounters.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »
I can run Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 (or could, I do need to some clean up of my drives and shitz) and both Dawn of War games flawlessly, so I may look into it some this weekend...its available through Steam correct?
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
Honestly, I just can't see myself paying money for early access to a game that will eventually be free-to-play. I'm not knocking anyone who has paid... even in the current pre-alpha stage the game looks very good and I'm tempted to bite, but fundamentally I feel like this early access craze is getting out of control. I can understand supporting devs every now and then for promising projects (I recently did for Next Car Game) but we're talking about Sony Online in this case, and they are likely just trying to quickly cash in on the open world zombie survival craze, and it's a brilliant plan that has obviously worked well for them so far. There is less consumer risk involved in this case since it's a lot more likely the game will be finished (and finished well) with a massive developer like SOE behind it, so I'm not sure exactly how to feel about it. I'm probably gonna hold off for now though... I've gotten enough entertainment just watching other people play it on twitch anyway.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
Yeah I debated on whether I wanted to pay out for a game that will eventually be free, but I'm taking a shot in the dark this once, hoping SOE doesn't fuck everyone over and does right by everyone who paid for early access. If I'm wrong, so be it. I feel I've had $20 worth of gaming fun already, so I'm not too worried about it.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
Holy shit I wish I could record game play...

Last night as I ventured back out toward that fort, I ran across another player in the parking lot of the Home Depot type store I was staying in. He didn't see me as I was crouched looting a truck, and I didn't notice him until suddenly I heard his foot steps and he appeared around the corner of the truck. I jumped back and pulled out my pistol (I don't even remember hitting the button), aimed at him and started commanding him to back off. He said "whoa whoa whoa" and put his hands up, walking backward. I just told him to turn around and walk away and if he turned back to look at me I'd shoot. He kept saying he was friendly, but I don't trust anyone anymore, especially not when I have a backpack full of food and ammo.

Finally I made my way into the woods. He came to the edge of the road and was saying something, couldn't really hear him at that distance, so I said one more time "Go about your business and let me be", and he went away.

I have NEVER had a stand off like that in a game before, that was fucking cool.

I ran through the woods until I got near the fort, at which point I began using the trees as cover to sneak up to it.

Another player apparently had the same idea as I saw him running off while whoever was in the fort was shooting at him. I crawled up behind another tree and listened. I could hear one player running around in the fort.

I army crawled my way up next to the entrance, and a player in a black shirt ran out, went right past me, didn't even see me laying there in the grass. He ran off toward the direction the other player ran.

I crawled inside and hid behind some boxes. I could hear another player walking around. I waited for a bit and began to sneak up the steps, when black shirt came back and spotted me. I ran back behind the boxes as he shot at me, returned fire, but he managed to kill me.

Lost all my shit but that was a cool 15 minutes of game play there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:25:09 PM by 00XJ »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »
Scored dinner.

This zombie chased me the entire length of this road, which extends far beyond the hill in the background. A good 10 minute foot chase, but I had no weapons.

Stole this truck from a pair of players. I was looting a house, heard them drive up and get out. I ran out back before they got out of the truck, went prone and crawled over to it as they searched the house. Thankfully they didn't take the battery or spark plugs with them when they got out, so I got in and drove away. They came out trying to shoot me with arrows but I was too far gone. Awesome.

...but apparently some players believe that even the zombie apocalypse requires a police presence, and chased after me when I sped past them. They gave up after a while, and I ran out of fuel shortly after, in the middle of no where.

Took the spark plugs and battery with me, found a police car hidden in the bushes. Took it for a joy ride and ended up at this camp with about 2% fuel left.

Got killed and had to respawn. Ended up at this motel, when a Jeep full of geared up players arrived. I figured they were gonna kill me, but instead they gave me a helmet and shirt to match theirs. They recruited two more nearby players as well. They abandoned their Jeep and we traveled on foot toward Pleasant Valley.

Anybody who saw this group running by must have shit themselves. There was another of us off-screen.

On the way to PV Police Station, a player in a cop car tried to run us all down. Everyone unloaded on him and his car was smoking before he vanished into the distance. We looted a nearby traffic pile-up and the car came back, this time we decided not to waste ammo and let him pass. He went off-road trying to run us down again, flipped the car and exploded. I didn't have a chance to get a screen grab.

We eventually made it to the PV Police Station. There were two players on the roof shooting at us as we made our way to the door. We all made it inside, just as a pick up truck showed up outside with 3 players in it (two in the cab, one in the bed), and a cop car showed up with two other players. Those two groups began fighting with each other. The police station roof guys made it into the basement weapons storage room and barricaded themselves inside.

We shut the front doors and put two guys on watch. Only one way into the police station, nobody was getting inside as long as we had the door covered.

Finally we made a push to the weapons storage room.

With 6 of us on the bottom level of the stair well outside the jail cell and weapons room (which are side by side), one of us stayed at the top of the steps watching the entrance to the building.

I got onto the stairs where I could get a vantage point inside the weapons room when the door opened. With one bullet in my pistol, I relied on luck. I had my friend near the door open and close it quickly so I could see inside. There was one guy positioned behind the wall in the middle of the room, and the other was out of sight. Both began firing. The door closed.

I adjusted my aim to roughly where the guy behind the wall was, and had my friend open it again - bam, 1 shot, I hit the guy in the head and killed him. Couldn't believe it. Door closes again.

Our guy at the top of the stairs got killed. I ran down and the 6 of us remaining huddled in the jail section.

Two guys came down the steps and traded fire with the crew in the weapons room. 1 of the intruders died, 1 guy in the weapons room died (or so it seemed, there was no more shooting coming from there). Two of our guys burst out and were taken down quickly.

At that point, we sent a scout outside and ANOTHER group of players showed up and killed everyone in the stair well, which at that point included the remaining guy on the weapons room (there were 3, as it turns out, one had been hiding in there the whole time), the second intruder, and one of our guys.

I looted a dead body near the jail door and grabbed a shot gun. The stair well was quiet, so I crept under the stairs and put my back in the corner, waiting for the rest of the guys to come down the stairs for another assault. Didn't know how many there were, only that the shotgun is a devastating weapon, and they wouldn't expect it.

Two came down at once, I killed one and the other killed me. Immediately after, another came down the stairs and the two remaining guys on my team came out. TONS of gun fire and chaos, don't really know what happened, but it sounded like everyone died. When the gunfire stopped, there were no more foot steps and nobody was talking.

That was incredible.

Never found those guys again. Maybe someday.

New update... better lighting, slightly tweaked graphics.